American Systems
www.americansystems.com Chantilly, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

American Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

William C. Hoover

Great company to work for in an ever changing environment.

ProsManagement is more than willing to hear your ideas and genuinely wants the employees to grow as professionals.

ConsSince this is a contracting company, job security is never certain.

Short, but great experience

Latent Print Technician (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsGood hours, great experience, great benefits, management was quick to let us know about details affecting our employment

ConsThe contract I was working on was shorter than advertised due to outside source error

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for letting us know as soon as possible about our contract. Not your fault the math was wrong.

It was a job

Field Installer (Former Employee)

ProsPay checks on time
    Flexible hours

ConsThe 'good ol boy club" company. Our contract ended and management did nothing whatsoever to try and help to place us elsewhere in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to negotiate government contracts

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I met a lot of great people

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsAll of my co-workers and local managers were great to work with. They applied common sense to the job and were just good people with strong work ethics

ConsOverall company policies were not that great. Benefits were mediocre. Pay was a little low for the level of work and experience required.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to reduce your turnover rate, you have lost some really good people.

Contractor

Senior Forensic Scientist (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsManagement cares. Employee owned. Senior management has been around for years.

ConsContract work is always volitile with no guarantees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur contract ended well ahead of schedule and management did an excellent job with helping us prepare for the future despite the circumstances. My recommendation would be to continue to do that for all contracts.

It's a great company to work for, especially in the Defense realm

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Kirtland AFB, NM

ProsCompensation is outstanding. Definitely the best group of people I've worked with in 20 years.

ConsHealth benefits are just OK. They're great if you never get sick.

Forensic Contractor

Latent Print Technician (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsThey give you experience when you are fresh out of college.

ConsThe pay they give is below the national average and especially low for northern Virginia. The business of contracting means that you can lose government work in a blink of an eye. American systems did a terrible job of keeping us informed and kept saying that all the "losing our job" talk was rumors. 2 months later we all learn we are losing our jobs. They exchange cheap salary for people to get their foot in the door into forensics

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest. If you did not know that our work was running low then step up and ask the client what our status is.

Great Company, Sorry to see it leave Atlanta

Courseware Developer (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThis was a great company to contract for. Salary was paid on-time, and the team I worked with was amazing. Unfortunately at the time, the branch this company held in Atlanta was closed. I would work for this company again if the opportunity presented itself.

ConsThe branch in Atlanta closed due to loss, or lack of work. This could be tied to one of the former employess, who stole work for his new startup. This was unfortunate for everyone involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Don't do it.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsPaycheck was on time.
    Hired me with little experience.
    Flexible shifts.

ConsHired almost EVERYONE with no experience AND little education or work ethic!
    Very little pay for the area and the job.
    So many managers/seniors making 2-3x's as much as the actual hard workers.
    Management has no professionalism, workers have low moral, and you almost always feel as if you are completely expendable (and they make sure to let you know it).

Advice to Senior ManagementLorton: You are awful human beings and don't deserve your paychecks. HQ: Either you people are oblivious to what goes on there or you just don't care about what kind of services/product you are providing to the client.

Steady, dependable organization, employee owned, debt free

Director (Current Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

ProsFlexible work environment, lack of micro managing from supervisor. The ESOP provides 9% of additional retirement income each year. Bonus program for execs is very generous. Very competitive pay. CEO is approachable and friendly and genuinely engaged. Great PTO package with 9 floating holidays to use at your discretion.

ConsSenior leaders have been with the company for 20-30 years leaving lots of reluctance for change. Although the company is very steady and dependable, we haven't experienced significant organic growth in years. Apathy is the company's biggest weakness. Benefits are extremely expensive and PPO plan being phased out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to middle management is improving. However, middle management lacks people skills and often does not communicate to staff. Middle managers need to be held accountable for inability to manage rather than being allowed to stay in their positions simply because they have a certification, a relationship with a customer, or tenure.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for American Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Systems CEO William C. Hoover. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by American Systems employees.