American Systems

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
3.5

Peter L. Smith

Pros
  • American Systems is an employee-owned company that is overall a good place to work (in 6 reviews)

• Great company and benefits and they care about their employees or owners (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is based out of Chantilly, VA they might not be aware of the poor management in some of their workforce (in 2 reviews)

• Senior management must be hanging on for decent offer to sell company (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to start a career and not just a job.

I have been working at American Systems part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are always learning through the callers, in house training, always someone problems solving, and a nice group of people to work with and learn how to advance.

Cons

If you live in DC or MD long commute.

Thank the workers’ and appreciate them more often when you receive letters of appreciation from the callers and our government customer. Have more open discussions about solutions and what they and management could do better to improve work environment and lunches for encouragement. Listen to the suggestions and have discussions about the pros and cons of the suggestions.

great place to work with great opportunity to have an impact on the bottom line

Current Employee - Program Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at American Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large enough to be stable, but small enough where I can be in direct contact with senior management and have input and be heard. Love the "free money" in my ESOP.

Cons

Federal contracting is just a challenge right now.

Be bold about moving toward more acquisitions

They were a typical Government Contractor

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at American Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work wasn't very stressful.

Cons

Benefits are awful, no extra frills, not a lot of stability. The first contract I was on I reported to a hot headed manager, then I got transferred to a location that was forty minutes further away. I didn't have a choice in the transfer, the managers on the contract seem to do what they want. The second contract was much better, and had nice management. It's just a hit or miss.

Treat people like people.

Interesting experience

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the work and meeting new people. ESOP was nice. Nice Christmas party

Cons

Pay, lack of positions for my growth. (This company does a lot of computer stuff, and there is plenty of computer work, but My position was pretty niche, so there wasn't a lot of work for me to grow with the company.

Upper management was cool. I had a good time

American Systems is a well established organization with job security and a genuine concern for employee satisfaction.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at American Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well established; often move employees to other positions they fit into when government contracts expire or are not renewed.

Cons

Because the company is based out of Chantilly, VA they might not be aware of the poor management in some of their workforce.

A doctorate or education does not always make the best managers. Might find a way to engage with employees to get a better evaluation of the employees who are in positions of management.

Medium sized company that desperately wants to grow to >$1B in revenue

I worked at American Systems full-time

Pros

ESOP and employee/owner culture. Self insured health plan. Pockets of highly talented engineers and techs. Ethics preached as top priority.

Cons

Bonuses cut out completely, ESOP share price dropping three years running, middle level managers asked to do three times as much with fraction of resources. GMs give lots of rudder orders but not much vision or leadership. Several business units need to be shut down. Senior management must be hanging on for decent offer to sell company. Very odd performance reviews.

Need to take good hard look at effort "to green" the ranks and gut the seasoned talent. Find other ways to trim bloated back office costs. Curious that best directors and managers are gone, showing up in key contract losses. Guess greening of workforce didn't work so well?!?

This was a great company to work for until CEO passed away unexpectedly in mid 2000s. Replacement CEO left abruptly this summer. Now run by long time COO. HR department shackles managers with "big company" bureaucracy, losing all hope of keeping responsiveness and workforce agility. Should stay in medium sized defense contractor niche and skip plans to grow to be the next Raytheon or Lockheed Martin.

Need some serious self reflecting to do.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lorton, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lorton, VA

I worked at American Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Not many....ESOP is great if the company does well.

Cons

- Lied about the length of time on a contract. Said we were safe for five years of guaranteed work, a week later, gave 3 months notice because the contract was going away and everybody was being let go. Then had the audacity to say we were lucky they even told us. Had no crtieria for choosing who stayed and who went other than personal preference by the program manager and seniors.

- Lied during interview about chances to promote and progress. After first day of work it was apparent there was nowhere to go.

- Massive difference in pay between people who did the work and the people who sat around. $40k - $50k difference....

- Threatened employees because employees were trying to make better choices for their own careers.

- Place was ran like a high school, mainly because 70% of the place were young females. Lots of gossip and trash talk behind other peoples backs.

- Employee evaluations were a joke. Conducted by individuals who you might have met once during in-processing and never saw again until you were laid off.

- Didn't get to choose hours. They simply gave you the work hours they wanted without negotiation or any say on your part, which could mean working from Sunday-Friday or Wed - Sat or any combination of days. Could be five days a week 8 hours a day or it could be 4 days a week 10 hour days. Could be graveyard, could be daytime, could be night time. One person had to quit because she coudln't work the hours and take care of her kids and there was no budging by the management.

Don't lie to your people. Don't lie during the interview just to get people on the contract asap. Don't have unrealistic expectations. Don't be hypocrticial about who you punish and write up simply because you know them. Favoritism will kill this company. Adjust your PTO standards base on the contract and the subs benefits. It's pretty disheartening and upsetting seeing a sub-contractor doing the same work make 5 hours of PTO each pay period when ASC personnel make 3. Don't lie and say the company is doing great and then lay off a bunch of people the next week. INCLUDE SOME SICK TIME, even if it's two days! You save one day of PTO for 2 months, get sick or hurt, and that day is gone.

Seemed there were no room for career advancement.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Quantico, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Quantico, VA

I worked at American Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for American Systems were company gifts and continuing educational training.

Cons

Poor management, lack of company-wide communication and awful benefits.

Take real management and soft skills training in order to better understand your job and value your people. I need this company to upgrade your benefits package for people with health conditions and please get rid of Hyatt Legal plan, its a waste of time. You need LegalShield to really benefit your employees.

Everyone is and owner/employee and the working environment was great.

I worked at American Systems

Pros

Every success contributes to the ESOP and all employees benefit from this retirement savings approach.

Cons

The reach of the company spans the American landscape.

Keep communicating and success will follow

An engineering firm with family values.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at American Systems full-time

Pros

Very flexible operations provides a lot of freedom for program managers.
    ESOP is great for those employees who stick it out for the long term.
    Easy to communicate with senior management.

Cons

Sometimes the company forgets at their heart they are a "blue collar" engineering firm and try to emulate some the larger companies or diversify their offerings into fields they are not equipped to handle.

At times, senior management is overweight with too many directors and vice presidents.

Stick to your core and continue to support your employees