American TV And Appliance

Updated September 8, 2014
2.7

American TV And Appliance President and CEO Doug Reuhl
Doug Reuhl

Pros
  • great people to work with, discounts, luncheons, great manager staff (in 4 reviews)

• Co-workers across all departments are generally very good people to (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours also required to work weekends (in 7 reviews)

• Horrible communication between departments and upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, staff

Current Employee - Shipping TD  in  Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Shipping TD in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people to work with, discounts, luncheons, great manager staff.

Cons

pay cuts, no raises, for the past years

need to have them work with the teams at the DC, come and see what we do all night

The worst job I've ever had! I would not recommend it to any one!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Davenport, IA

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than a year

Pros

I made some great friends there!

Cons

Where should I start. I was bullied as a new sales rep. I had customers and sales stolen from me. I cried and about walked out several times on the job. Had no support from HR or Management or the GM to resolve these issues. Certain co-workers got away with stealing,bullying, and mental abuse as being ok. This job was not worth the abuse, the time, or pay. I sacrificed my weekends and Holidays with my family for the worst paying sales job ever. The management is very critical, and not professional. I feel the GM is over paid, a negative to the Company, and was no help at all to when asked. He has belittled me, threatened, and harassed me too many times. The commission structure is a joke! you should get paid way more for the horrible hours and all the sacrifices you have to make! Also there's too many sales people to customer ratio: a dog eat dog world in the store, this leaves a lot of tension in the air for potential customers to see! NOT GOOD!

Play your part don't let the top sales people run you, and your other employees over or out the door! Follow through with rules and policies for everyone. BE FAIR TO ALL ! Stop feeding some and not all!

Not a team environment, really have to fend for yourself.

Former Employee - Furniture Sales  in  Oak Creek, WI
    Former Employee - Furniture Sales in Oak Creek, WI

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can have a lot of fun with coworkers outside of work.

Cons

Furniture sales department is very difficult if you do not have experience. The veterans at Oak Creek run the furniture department. Anyone new doesn't stand a chance. You have to meet a sales quota to stay and it is very difficult to compete with people who have been there for 10+ years. One person in particular will stab you in the back and do anything they can to make you fail. They do not want to see anyone new succeed.

Try to promote a more team environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A slowly sinking ships whose captains don't seem to know how to fix the leak..

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Johnston, IA

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting new people and helping them find what it is they need. Working in the air conditioning and having a guaranteed income.

Cons

Management over promises and under delivers during the hiring process and begin months, poor training that ultimately forces new sales representatives to be somewhat dependent on the current sales representatives who see them as a direct threat, 2-3 forced 1 hour non-paid door greeting shifts, horrible benefits, mandatory open to close bell shift at least once a week, steadily down sizing and multiple mid to upper management pay cuts.

You have such a high turnover rates in sales and lower management because you keep over promising and under delivering, and the current sales environment and training program you use forces new employees to have to kiss ass and be submissive to the current top sales performers who dominate the floor in order to be successful.

Good money, but overcrowded floors cut into commissions

I have been working at American TV And Appliance full-time

Pros

Very Flexible Atmosphere
    Self Motivated Success

Cons

Virtually no support for employees
    No matching 401ks
    Overcrowded Floors

Cutting down on sales associates would raise moral and optimize interactions.

Constantly lowering pay and bad upper management!

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Professional  in  Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Professional in Appleton, WI

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, great contacts with product reps and vendors.

Cons

Very difficult to make consistent pay, upper management with belittle you even for things you do great, sales staff is never really appreciated, commisions on your sales seem to magically disappear into hidden costs, working door greeting shifts with no pay is mandatory, you will rarely get more than a 10 minute break even on an all day shift and during a slow season.

Shed the fat from the top, appreciate your sales staff better when they exceed goals, more constructive criticism versus always negative.

Family Business

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Years of success as a Big Time Retailer that offers a better shopping experience than the competition

Cons

they are having a tough time competing with the internet in some categories.

get Lenny back

Good customer base but a tough market.

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at American TV And Appliance full-time

Pros

You get out of the job what you put into it. Commission potential is good, but competition on the sales floor is intense.

Cons

Due to economic struggles, lots of recent management change, and not for the better.

Was a great opportunity ,

Former Employee - Senior Visua Design Merchandiser  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Visua Design Merchandiser in Madison, WI

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In Store Strong Team (Non Management), We all worked as Family to get the Job Done. Communication was strong in the four walls of the store. It was great while it lasted

Cons

Company expanded into a market they knew nothing about. Opened far to many stores at once and Due to them not gathering the right info on the market moving into, they close the stores, they get rid of Designers in there stores Company wide to help there bottom line.

CEO and VP need to watch there store Management teams better. Hold them more accountable .

Retail greed

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at American TV And Appliance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

American at one time in the past was a fun place to work. There were sales contests, lots of customers, and it was a generally exciting place to work. The past few years American management thought they should expand. They were always full of themselves. The blew hundreds of millions on a failed expansion and ended up closing 4 stores. They blame the economy. Sure, it didn't help, but more so incompetent leadership at literally ever level doomed this company. In the past if you were a hard working sales person you could earn a lot of money, between 50-75, and even 100K. However, those days are long gone. American takes and takes and takes from its employees while upper management continue to live in luxury.

Cons

The company has pulled everything way way back. Commissions are lower than ever. Health Insurance is ridiculously expensive and covers nothing. They even cut the vacation pay. No match on the 401K. You have to work shifts as a door greeter for NO PAY. The management is generally nice at the store level, but upper management from corporate are arrogant, rude and incompetent. The company still does marketing like its the 1990s. The stores are falling apart and seriously outdated. No one really seems to care anymore from the warehouse to the service center to the sales floor. Store managers and department managers are quitting left and right from the upper hand control in Madison. I predict they will be gone within 2-3 years.

Quit.

Worked for American TV And Appliance? Contribute to the Community!