American Tire

Not bad. Also Not Great.

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee
    Former Employee - Warehouse Employee

I worked at American Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Some positions pay an allowance for a car and gas.

Cons

Very long hours. Management expects too much without paying enough. Poor opportunity for advancement. Very high turnover rate at the branch I worked for. Route drivers took off way too many days without enough notice leaving the warehouse short handed.

Consider giving better raises to people who stay longer. I worked here for 3 years and only saw a .25 increase in my wage and never exceeded my sick days, didnt complain, worked hard, but no one paid attention to it...so I quit. DO NOT ASK PEOPLE TO DO SOMEONE ELSES JOB. If it is someones job to be in the warehouse full time, do not ask them to drive a truck or show up for someone elses shift. I hated the fact that I worked my tail off and was never given any recognition. The people in the warehouse do way more work than anyone else and deserve to be treated thusly.

OK working experience

I worked at American Tire

Pros

Some opportunity for growth for VERY driven employees.

Cons

If you're not upper-level management, you don't get much respect from vendors or other department managers.

Good, but declining. Losing site of employee and customer

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

generally there are some fun and interesting people that work in both corporate and the field albeit it is hard to tell in times of stress like right now. Benefits are good not great and pay is good for the industry if you are above the entry level.

Cons

Dated HR practices. Poor pay for warehouse and driver personnel and a lack of understanding of value added distribution. The company is in year 5 of ownership by a large PE and is being shopped publicly and privately. This has resulted in a real disconnect between anyone in S and C level management and the remainder of the company. Employees and even the customer are suffering because of it. Pushing very hard for growth and potentially building a house of cards.

Slow down. Make some small tweaks with HR practices to throw a morale bone to the field.

A fast -pace environment that requires skills and focus.

Former Employee - Warehouse Operations Supervisor in Totowa, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse Operations Supervisor in Totowa, NJ

I worked at American Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership officers a conducive office environment people that work well together and allows growth for promotion within the company.

Cons

Should do more research on benefits package also should research how do better improve vacation scheduling and cross train employees within to move into higher positions for promotions.

Being in the management field there is always room for improvement dealing with policies and procedures rewarding to off for vacation and promotions within.

Old School vs New School

Former Employee - Mutiple Positions in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Mutiple Positions in Huntersville, NC

I worked at American Tire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast growing company due to acquisitions and mergers. Many new products and services. Great time for employee growth and advancement opportunities.

Cons

There is a lack of management integrity in many of the ranks. The "good old boys" network is alive and well. Don't be surprised if you are asked to go along with something that you don't feel is ethical.

You need to implement an annual survey process for all employees. You need to have a third party implement a management integrity program on a on-going basis. You need to develop a transparent professional culture that applies to all employees, especially senior management.

good company

I worked at American Tire

Pros

very fair to employees and customers

Cons

a lot of people in organization

listen more to employees

Dead End

Former Employee - Web Analyst in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Web Analyst in Huntersville, NC

I worked at American Tire full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say. Held on for a year and finally quit.

Cons

Bullying by and incompetent managers are tolerated - they seem to be 'protected' by the executive branch.

Join the modern corporate world by allowing telecommuting and work life balance. Maybe if you bothered to trust your workforce enough to treat them like professionals, and pay a professional the salary that they're worth, you'd have a better retention rate with the right employees. True leadership doesn't belittle their employees, or heckle them in meetings when they make a mistake. True professionals don't stare at a women's chest while she's speaking. 'Secretaries' are required to reserve conference rooms even though the conference room calender is plugged in to Outlook. Really? Who else operates like this?

Stop referring to your 'team' as your 'subordinates'. No one out in the real world of business uses that terminology anymore.

Say thank you once in a while.

Nasty people shouldn't call in to a meeting just down the hall from their office because they don't have the guts to be obnoxious in person. There is so much wrong with this company that it would take an enormous sweep to clear out the grumpy old men, nasty old women and all the rest of the dead wood. Smart people are trying to get out. Scared people are just stuck. Some of the young people probably don't know any better or have any job experiences to compare this to, but hopefully sooner or later they'll all get wise to the fact there are far better jobs and much better companies out there.

Basically, HR should get a grip on the lunatics that are parading around as managers. Mostly they are incompetent egomaniacs and are not serving ATD's reputation well.

Wheel CSR

Current Employee - Wheel Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Wheel Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at American Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the hours are really good, no one works pass 8 pm, there are always overtime hours to gain too

Cons

the customers can make or break your day

Its just a job and its disappointing

I have been working at American Tire full-time

Pros

Give me second here. OK, overall the company seems strong, benefits are average, and vacation time is good.

Cons

Focus is on upper management and not on customer focused personnel, which are always doing more with below average compensation. Turnover is also high with no acknowledgement or apparent plan to fix or change. Competition is allowed to grow rampantly and the course of action is 'we'll just buy you out'. No real sales planning at the corporate level on this or gaining market share other than expanding and buyouts, driving up their own price.

Refocus on the customer and employees that do as well. Help yourself understand the customer and the real sales processes in the field. Motivate the sales staff as a whole. People are better at customer service and sales when they actually care.

Marketing Department

Former Employee - Regional Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at American Tire full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons in working here was that you didn't have a manager micro managing your area. Which could be good and bad.

Cons

In not having that Manager in the office it normally took days or weeks before all areas to be on the same page being that we were always pretty much traveling.

Needed to be a little more organized and provide marketing managers more training.