American Tire Reviews

1. delivery driver

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Tire full-time

Pros

great equipment, proffesional, safety concious, great benefits

Cons

uniforms need upgrading, no product knowledge training, pay is average.

Advice to Management

pay per performance will keep the union like attitude away. training for drivers to know about the products they are delivering so they can help their customers.

2. The worst place to work!

I worked at American Tire

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company at all it sucks! Non working environment

Cons

Not enough money or workers, employee's don't put their two week notices in before taking off for vacation, everyone does half of their job not full responsibilities, disrespectful boss and superviser warehouse manager, people don't know what their doing half the time. They talk highly of themselves and complains about their life and not enough about the work force like its some big soap TV show. The CSR has affairs with other employees when SHE is married.

Advice to Management

Needs improvements and new works and bosses preferably a woman

3. WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!

Former Employee - Assistant in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant in Huntersville, NC

I worked at American Tire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day that I left the company.

Cons

Arrogant, unsophisticated, unethical, uneducated, circus environment especially working in the "Corporate Headquarters"-which is a joke in Huntersville. I would have rated the company with many negative stars however I am forced to give them one star which is 10 more than they ever deserve!

The management is absolutely pathetic and don't let them tell you they like to promote within as they actually like to fire for unjust causes. You will never be groomed into anything more, they live by the motto lets keep as much info as we can from people so they cant grow. If you enjoy working for a racist company who will watch your every move, and critique all your work, as they believe the harder you work the more you will screw up. Raises are an absolute joke.

Don't ever think you can rely on the Human Resources Dept to help you in anyway. Talk about a conceded group of overpaid uneducated idiots. You are better off telling your issues to a brick wall. The higher the management the less they do and the more they like to throw off on others to "show you where your place is in this organization". Hierarchy is a must in this organization, with a backwoods "Good ole boys approach".

Maybe they can leave the 80s processes behind as we are in the 21st century. However, don't come in with an open approach and an innovative thought process. As you will be quickly told "that is not the way we do things here, and we intend to keep doing it the same way".

Also, if you like watching people who have been around for many years screw up their work consistently and get paid if not commended on messing up work someone else has to fix this is your COMPANY!

Advice to Management

Fire all management and Senior employees (especially all HR) as they can get away with murder. This place will always have extremely high turnover with the lack of processes, favoritism, and unethical decisions made on a daily basis.

5. Great exp. at ATD

I have been working at American Tire

Pros

very nice area, nice working environment, good work life balance, great community, great training

Cons

salary wasn't that competitive, but it's not that costly for living in that area

Would you rather be a Name or a Number??

Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Outside Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Account Managers can make good money for the tire industry. Ok base pay with a lucrative bonus structure & car allowance. Big Company that continues to grow…FAST!!

Cons

Company is on its third buy out in just over 10 years and has been put on a fast grow expansion across the country. Biggest complaint from employees is the feeling of being number and not a face. If numbers to not look good for the company 401K match it the first to go. ATD has a tendency to change the rules as it goes and it of course is always in their favor.

Political Environment

Current Employee - Manager in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at American Tire

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

The corporate office is ran on favoritism and the good old boy mentality. They protect whom they want to protect regardless of the impact to the company and working environment. As large as the company is it should be outsourcing their payroll and benefits to a vendor as this would alleviate payroll inaccuracies and benefit inquiries and changes could handled online through the vendor. ATD is so behind the times in technology, HR, and employee relations. ATD would rather pay big salaries and bonuses to incompetent upper management and their assistants than to invest in programs and technology.

Advice to Management

When you set the bar of high expectations but do not provide adequate training and guidance you are setting the person up for failure. Stop conforming and allowing those individuals who have been there forever and a day to influence your decision making process. Truth be told the entire HR management dept. needs an overhaul. A consultant company definitely needs to come aboard and implement strategic HR principles and practices as the current HR. dept. lacks leadership and competencies to a fault. How some of them got their title and positions is an enigma.

Not bad. Also Not Great.

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee
    Former Employee - Warehouse Employee

I worked at American Tire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Some positions pay an allowance for a car and gas.

Cons

Very long hours. Management expects too much without paying enough. Poor opportunity for advancement. Very high turnover rate at the branch I worked for. Route drivers took off way too many days without enough notice leaving the warehouse short handed.

Advice to Management

Consider giving better raises to people who stay longer. I worked here for 3 years and only saw a .25 increase in my wage and never exceeded my sick days, didnt complain, worked hard, but no one paid attention to it...so I quit. DO NOT ASK PEOPLE TO DO SOMEONE ELSES JOB. If it is someones job to be in the warehouse full time, do not ask them to drive a truck or show up for someone elses shift. I hated the fact that I worked my tail off and was never given any recognition. The people in the warehouse do way more work than anyone else and deserve to be treated thusly.

9. If you like favorites....

I worked at American Tire

Pros

compensation is above average for industry

Cons

lack of training, you only move up if you suck up, management wants yes people.

Advice to Management

get in the frontlines, have round tables and go see's. Take a hard look at cost efficiency at the DC levels. Provide more consistency for how the DC's are run.

10. OK working experience

I worked at American Tire

Pros

Some opportunity for growth for VERY driven employees.

Cons

If you're not upper-level management, you don't get much respect from vendors or other department managers.

Good, but declining. Losing site of employee and customer

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Tire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

generally there are some fun and interesting people that work in both corporate and the field albeit it is hard to tell in times of stress like right now. Benefits are good not great and pay is good for the industry if you are above the entry level.

Cons

Dated HR practices. Poor pay for warehouse and driver personnel and a lack of understanding of value added distribution. The company is in year 5 of ownership by a large PE and is being shopped publicly and privately. This has resulted in a real disconnect between anyone in S and C level management and the remainder of the company. Employees and even the customer are suffering because of it. Pushing very hard for growth and potentially building a house of cards.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Make some small tweaks with HR practices to throw a morale bone to the field.

RSS Feed </> Embed