American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.8

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on (in 7 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful company to work for. Awesome work-life balance. Paid vacations, 401K, stocks...

Cons

Not much room for growth. A lot of clickish activity amongst upper management.

More training.

Accountant

I have been working at American Tower

Pros

Great people, excellent benefit package, and job stability. This is the perfect low risk low reward job for somebody who is willing to work hard and collect a pay check. Benefit package includes RSU's which offers good value.

Cons

Overall, I have not seen a lot of staff to manager level promotions. If you are ok with being a staff level accountant and make a decent paycheck, this is a great place. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow as a leader, this is a stepping stone. Probably not the worst con out there.

Better utilize talent and be more open minded to change.

Prosperous organization to be a part of

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

The financial strength and backbone of this company is extremely comforting and the resources provided for employee growth exceeds generous.

Cons

The particular division that i've been employed under is less than 2 years old so there was quite a bit of self navigation involved in the beginning, but that has since improved with more stable policies and procedures being implemented.

Amazing People, Excellent Benefits, Great work/life balance.

Former Employee - Software Engineer (UI/Web) in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer (UI/Web) in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I got to work with very friendly, intelligent people. The benefits were top notch, including a good health plan, wellness bonus, and other perks. Work/life balance was also great, my manager was flexible, and no one really watches your time as long as you're getting your work done.

Cons

Compensation was below industry average for Software Engineering. Too much red tape, effecting change on your own team's project requires approval from the top down from people who have no idea what you do, or the best way to accomplish your job.

Don't be afraid to push for ownership and decision making power over your projects.

Watch your back, no place for growth.

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Great pay, and the food was amazing.

Cons

Entry -level employees are treated like pawns, when not needed anymore they are quickly disposed of. The middle management of contractors is non existent,and has a bad attitude.

Pay attention to the weakness in the group. You are only as great as your weakest team player.

Good place to work

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, except sometimes.

Cons

Being contractor
    Never know when can be thrown out
    Some internal politics

Give chance to the work related talented currently working contract employees.

Nice place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Contractors feel like outsiders when it comes to social functions.

Dead end job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay (for younger kids getting out of college).

Cons

The collocation team seems like a fun frat house environment when you start working there. However, the catty, high school mentality of management knows within a day of knowing you if they are going to fast track you. The superficiality of management is outrageous. If they want you apart of their "clique" you will succeed. If you don't drink the koolaid you will be left in the dust. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is based on merit. I moved to the accounts receivable team thinking I would be relieved. The management was extremely aggressive and verbally abusive constantly (for no reason mind you as I was a top performer). I brought my concerns to HR and they fell on deaf ears. I had no choice but to resign from my position due to this harassment I was incurring on a daily basis.

Just because you are a billion dollar company it doesn't mean that things aren't broken within the organization. Start looking inward and realize that good people consistently leave to go elsewhere (turnover is a word that American Tower knows very well). Reward employees based on merit and not whether the manager could see themselves sitting at the same table as them in high school.

IT, you are the weakest link!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the people. Hours are reasonable.

Cons

I would like my job except that horrible computer systems make it impossible to do it. I have worked for several other companies small and large and American Tower by far has the worst IT systems I have ever seen.

We have dozens of different systems and almost none of them talk to each other, and you typically don't have access to all of the systems that you need. As a result, you spend a good amount of time each day emailing multiple different departments to get the information you need, and then they have to take the time of out of their workday to read information to you that's in a different system.

New hires get a glazed-over look on their first day when they learn that their job will require them to learn 8 different systems, and that's not counting getting the correct access to them. Lease administration software is from the dark ages (that also includes the Excel spreadsheets that are still used). It shocks my senses to think how big we are as a real estate company and we are using software that I think I used back when I got my first Apple II computer. Have someone walk into the closest 5 office buildings from corporate headquarters and ask the property managers which lease administration software they use. I'm sure none of them use what we have.

As for project management software, some departments use Footprints, which is really a "help desk" tool to help technicians diagnose problems like not having internet access. If you go to the Footprints website, it actually says this. Footprints is not meant for project management. I did a double-take when I learned about that, especially considering how many great project management tools there are out there. Using Footprints for project management is like a right-handed person cutting her lawn with dull lefty scissors.

Those are just two examples of our systems.

Not only are the IT tools horrible, but there is absolutely no data integrity at the company. You are told on your first day "don't trust that any information or document is correct," Huh? You don't have people to routinely audit your data to make sure it is correct? You just leave incorrect data in the system so that the next person who looks at it will be tripped up by the same mistake?

The scary thing is that many long-term employees (management and otherwise) have become so used to the dysfunction that they don't even see it any more. Their typical response is "well, it used to be worse before." That's like saying, "Well, yes I drive a 1977 Ford Pinto with an exploding gas tank, but it's a heck of a lot nicer than my 1973 Ford Pinto with an exploding gas tank AND a rusty fender. At least this one doesn't have any rust."

Don't bother asking to get these systems fixed. When you do push to get something fixed, the usual response is that IT is so busy that it will take years to fix, it will cost too much money, etc.

You would think that we would have top-notch systems considering that our building is bursting at the seams with IT people. At this rate, I think in 2 years we will have more IT people in the building than actual tower people. It puzzles me why a real estate company employs more IT people than Microsoft, and why we don't just "simplify" everything by outsourcing tasks that we are clearly not very good at.

I really could go on forever, but the short of the long is that if you are used to a well-oiled machine when it comes to IT, American Tower may not be the place for you. You will be spending a good portion of your day dealing with these problems instead of focusing on your actual job.

Outsource your IT. Reduce the number of IT systems you use. Make sure the systems you use are the right tools for the job and can communicate with other systems.

Great place to start your career out of college, but don't plan on staying.

Former Employee - Deployment Manager
    Former Employee - Deployment Manager

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Tremendous amount of experienced and educated professionals. The team environment can really help you learn quickly and grow as an industry leader. This is an overly fast paced company that likes to make aggressive promises to the customer, which really challenges your knowledge and organizational skills.

Cons

Working over 60 hours a week with out any time off, is expected. Contract employees are discriminated against and have no HR representation. No internal training provided to contract employees, but are expected to solve difficult problems with out any support or tools to remedy the situation. ATC prefers to risk the customer service and perception by taking short cuts and not properly planning for resources available.

Tenure with a company does not make you an effective manger. Listen to the real industry experiences that you hire and then let go when the first sign of the annual slow down in the construction season.