American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.

Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros:
  • "Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good people in most areas, Company is growing and placing getting better at placing the right people in the right roles"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Great Company

I have been working at American Tower

ProsBenefits are great and so are the people

ConsOpportunities outside of the Boston area

Paycheck only. Not a career. Very bureaucratic.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at American Tower full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, benefits and work-life balance.

ConsVery bureaucratic to the point that the legal department trips over themselves way too often. Leaders do not set good examples as most people are too complacent to the point of laziness and no one accepts accountability. They also treat their customers terribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing number one does not only mean owning the most number of assets.

Great company to work for

IT Management (Current Employee)
Marlborough, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits; good culture; interesting and challenging work. Base compensation is okay, but bonus and RSUs are very generous. Fast pace, challenging work. Where else do you have a company where "Have Fun" is one of the core values?

ConsRegional alignment of business promotes working against cross-regional collaboration. US operations have a very snobby attitude toward corporate and international regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and incent cross-regional collaboration. The US does not do EVERYTHING better than the rest of the world.

Good Company to work for

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people, Stable financial health of company

ConsToo many layers in Managment

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim down some layers in Managment

Stable company to work for

I have been working at American Tower

ProsFlexibility, Not crazy hours or weekend work, generally people are nice

Conscareer advancement on each level is very long drawn; salary isn't market

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a premier tower company, you should focus on employees equally as shareholders, since the results are driven by the employees.

Mindless

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable company, decent benefits, laid back work environment.

ConsThe work is mindless and there is no opportunity for growth, training is awful and pay is not consistent with the market. Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

Tremendous growth opportunity on a domestic and global scale ...

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced environment, ability to make significant contributions within all levels of the organization.

ConsImprovement and effectiveness opportunities not fully leveraged within global executive business leader ranks to come together to drive synergies across markets ... which will become more important to really achieve the strategic goals and targets of American Tower ...

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to really ensure the internal teams are focused on the most important program and project initiatives of the company. Put the thoughtful planning and decision making processes in place now while riding the good times ... make the tough decisions to execute on fewer, high priorities rather than too many lesser ones.

Unbelievable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people that are not in management are a pleasure to work with

ConsMANAGEMENT........ Management micro manages .... they do not listen or communicate with their staff.... They jump to conclusions without asking questions..... They have unreasonable expectations for a skeleton crew.... They have no clue what the people do that they manage or how to do the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have done the jobs in their department so that they know how things are supposed to go.

Paralegal

Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid time off; Reimbursement for gym memberships; Great people to work with. Thats about it, as I really dont have a lot of great things to say about the company.

ConsManagement is the worse. They have no idea what they are doing. They micromanage all the time, and try to send emails over telling you what to do after you already got the email the first time, just so they feel like they are doing something, and managing. Guess they want to feel important.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and treat your peers with some respect, and not like they are below you.

Great Financials but IT needs some work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time for more than a year

ProsThe folks at this company really like what they do. That's reflected in the financials. They are going through a complete overhaul so right now may be unstable, but on the whole it's a great company to showcase your skills.

ConsIf you are looking for the latest and greatest and most cutting edge technology, you won't find it here. With many legacy applications and too much work for the IT staff on hand, there is not a lot of room for brand new applications. The business has unreal expectations of IT given staffing levels. There are a lot of contractors so sometimes feels like the co has a revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess who the key players are and make sure you hold onto them. Though the apps aren't the most cutting edge, there's some really great opportunities there for talented folks who just want the recognition for the work/ideas they contribute.

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!

American Tower – Why Work for Us?

Over the past few years American Tower has enjoyed tremendous global growth. Today, employees on four continents and in ten markets are responsible for the Company’s success. They work together to provide services and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Tower reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Tower CEO Jim Taiclet Jr. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by American Tower employees.