American Tower Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

2.7

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay, benefits and work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors (in 4 reviews)

• Each time a contractor leaves, management asks them to write a 'positive' review on this site (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Former Employee - Intern  in  Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My time at American Tower was great. People are friendly and always willing to help. I learned a lot, and I'm waiting for offer to get back as a full employee.

Cons

My time at American Tower Corporation was very enjoyable, although I think they could improve the training for newcomers. Besides that American Tower is a great place to work.

Growing Company with Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company is dedicated to employee learning and development, leadership is passionate about the industry and about the business, company continues to go in a positive direction, rewards are tied to individual performance and are exceptional for employees who go above and beyond to work hard and lead their teams.

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging, limited options to work from home or utilize flexible scheduling.

Explore options for telecommuting and flexible schedules, trust employees to complete work and reward based on work rather than time spent at the office.

Good experience

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Flexible schedule, pay and bonuses

Cons

Need to work on communication between departments.

Offer additional training to help employees grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Here, do this and wait for further instruction.

Former Employee - Project Specialist  in  Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is high compared to the work you perform. Room to be promoted and work your way up.

Cons

Health benefits are twice as high than if you apply as an individual. Contracted workers are treated like garbage compared to full-time employees. Office is very quiet and dark on the contractor side of the building. Minimal communication with management on what they expect. People are hired and fired weekly with their at-will contracts.

Actually manage. Communicate with your team if something could be or should be done better.

Stumbling, Rambling, Machiavellian - and that's just the IT department!

I worked at American Tower

Pros

A chance to learn a the business of a new industry.

Cons

Where to begin.... IT is a MESS. One of the managers proudly informs new hires that they have no IT experience - only HR experience. That should be your first red flag. Second red flag - the department is mostly contractors. Many who do not want extensions to to become permanent employees. And those that do become permanent employees had to simultaneously walk on water while kissing serious butt and stroking egos to accomplish the hiring on. There is little consideration towards treating contractors - or even FTEs - as human beings with ideas and thoughts that might actually help the business.

The IT motto when it comes to documentation - "Make it pretty. Who cares about the content".

Each time a contractor leaves, management asks them to write a 'positive' review on this site. Be sure that the only positive reviews you are reading on this site are from management themselves, who are fabricating the reviews to make the company look more attractive. Were I you, I would look elsewhere than American Tower.

Fan of fiefdoms? You found your home!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at American Tower as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, pleasant work atmosphere, competent employees. The company is headed in the right direction, and is poised to become hugely successful.

Cons

Experts say, 'Never make yourself indispensable; never get to the point of saying, "There's no way they can fire me." ' That's an area of opportunity for American Tower.

A lot of territory battles over the smallest of issues could have been easily avoided. Instead, I saw very talented new hires get the cold shoulder for no other reason than to maintain the status quo's egos. Make no mistake: VERY NICE people, VERY PLEASANT egos, but unnecessarily stubborn and a hindrance to progress.

Horrible communications regarding project expectations for the newbie

Former Employee - Project Specialist  in  Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Modern offices, independent work environment, great location from home

Cons

Training is a joke (bad scheduling, jumped from conference room to conference room); no real direction - as a contractor I was put in a fishbowl of interruptions while my coworkers was in a quiet environment so we couldn't coordinate our projects. Also had another contractor CONSTANTLY interrupting me to teach me her job simply by imitating the steps of her project (i.e. she shows us one step, then we each sit down and imitate the step) when all I needed was a step list; also, would be "reasonable" for those of us who have to drive to get alternative schedule (even just a few days a week)

PROFESSIONAL training for new staff/contractor that is scheduled and not just scribbled notes from an employee who is too busy to teach ; give a better idea of the go-to lead; give more that 3 days one week (closed due to employee fun day) and 2 days the next to learn projects; free up staff to teach contractors their jobs and give a reasonable learning curve; and don't scrimp on salaries for decent IT people, since AT has just about EVERY application open on their desktops (have you never heard of bandwidth?)

Not always a place I want to be.

Current Employee - Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Comp and benefits are above average. Lots of opportunities for employee to self educate due to an extensive development center. Very fast-paced environment with a lot of high talent and very personable people. Some teams really know how to promote from within and encourage employee development and career growth. Others don't.

Cons

Leading by example is missing. Can't get time off. I mean, there is time off, but you can't enjoy it as no one disconnects. The downside of a fast-paced environment and a big missed opportunity to lead by example. They pay well but they extract their pound of flesh.

Really listen to your employees and hear what they are and aren't saying. Figure out how to provide a solid work life balance before you start losing talent.

Bureaucratic, division of labor makes no sense, low pay, "busy work", management is ok but could be better

Current Employee - Director  in  Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, stable company

Cons

Management has no sense of what motivates employees (at times, they kill motivation), low salaries, promotions take a life time, problem employees get away with a lot because managers do not have the skills to handle them which results in the loss of good employees who are smart enough to move on; IT is a joke; legal department is dysfunctional and it's lawyers do not nothing but complain and talk about each other.

Be wise to recognize you don't know it all and that you could learn to be better managers from those managers below you and by the way, don't steal their ideas without giving them proper credit. Don't let your friendships cloud your judgment about a person's performance. Recognize the stars from the deadweight and let them lead. Put the complainers in their place, not those they complain about. Chances are, they are actually working hard for you! pay people market rates. $ is always a good motivator. Reorganize the IT department from the ground up. Do something with your legal department. They remind me of high school.

Penny Pay Produces Poor Performance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best part of American Tower is the day you walk out the door for good!

Cons

I should have known better than to accept when I was offered my position and attempted to negotiate a minute pay increase. I was told, "It's non-negotiable," which pretty much sums up working at American Tower.

From the day I started until the day I left, they were concerned about numbers (as in more pay for upper management and horrible salaries from middle-management down).

CEO Jim Taiclet earned more than $12 MILLION in 2013; Chief Financial Officer Tom Barlett earned more than $4.5 MILLION in 2013; President Steven Marshall earned more than $4.2 MILLION in 2013; Exec. VP William Hess earned more than $4 MILLION in 2013; and Exec. VP Edmund Disanto earned more than $3.8 MILLION in 2013.

The company scrimps in regard to across-the-board company salaries - again for middle management and below - and tends to hire fresh-out-of-college graduates who will work for pennies on the dollar - only to leave at the first growth opportunity.

As for customer service, I worked with great people, who cared about the industry and client goodwill; however, with the limited resources (as in too few people for too great a workload), staff just could not provide the "premium" level of service on which American Tower supposedly prides itself.

It is a shame that American Tower does not understand the simple concept, "You get what you pay for." Their executives seem to ba$k in the glow of that knowledge.

I suggest that the company start paying for the quality they seek.

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!