American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
2.6

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on (in 7 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, great work-life balance

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting legal work, friendly co-workers, supportive management, reasonable compensation, strong emphasis on employee development, opportunities to travel and take outside classes, and good work-life balance.

Cons

Frustrating IT systems with little or ineffective training, small minority of negative long-term employees, overuse of email to have conversations that should occur in person or on the phone.

Hire some people who are IT educators - the IT staff may be great at implementation, but effective teaching skills are not in their repertoire.

If You Work in Engineering, Work Somewhere Else

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ATC has good benefits: RSUs, ESPP, 401(k), surprisingly good insurance, and I personally was paid well enough. Additionally, if you learn how to navigate the system (at least in Engineering), keep your head down, and don't make waves, you can wile away your 8 hours a day doing next to nothing.

Cons

I found the culture at ATC - at least on the Engineering side where I worked - demoralizing and oppressive. Though there were some decent individuals, in general, the management was incompetent, hesitating to make simple process changes that would have made life easier for rank and file employees for no other reason than that they didn't want to stick their necks out. Their incompetence, of course, made them insecure, and their insecurity made them oppressive, so in stark contrast to their feckless dithering when it came to improving process, the one arena in which they could act decisively was when silencing criticism.

And as if the intra-group oppressiveness weren't enough, there was inter-departmental antagonism and mistrust aplenty. I personally saw emails where people in the Finance department did little more than point fingers at the Operations and Development teams, and I was involved in Operations trouble-shooting sessions where the express goal of the meeting was not to find the root cause of an incident but rather to find a way to absolve Operations by pinning responsibility on the Development team.

In an atmosphere like this, an employee generally has three options:

1. Stop caring, keep one's head down, and do as little as possible.
    2. Work the system and become as slimy an operator as the managers. For example, get yourself peripherally but non-essentially attached to as many projects as possible, then walk nonchalantly away from those projects that are bound for failure while associating yourself more closely with those projects that seem headed for success. Never take responsibility; always take credit.
    3. Leave.

If you take a job in the Engineering department of ATC, you can reasonably expect most of your colleagues to fit into one of those three groups, so if you are currently entertaining an offer from ATC and you aren't a slimy political operator, then I would sincerely advise you, as someone with no stake in your decision, to reflect soberly on your options before accepting their offer.

There's no reason to give advice to the upper management at this company. From what I could see, the rot goes high into the organization. I don't know that the rot extends to the CEO, who, though I give him a thumbs down below, always struck me as an intelligent and forthright person. However, intelligent and forthright or not, I don't think he's close enough to his organization to realize what a cesspool his Managers, Directors, and VPs were (and perhaps still are) making of his Engineering organization.

A nice place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Upward mobility
    -Fast paced environment
    -Stock price rising
    -Nice benefits package
    -Good workplace atmosphere

Cons

-Compensation is a bit below average
    -Lots of turnover at the management level
    -Training practices are not mature

Keep growing the business and maybe increase base pay to reflect the company's growth, good financial position.

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Greta growth and stock option

Cons

no work llife balance, will run you into the ground

RF DAS Engineer

Current Employee - Senior RF DAS Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior RF DAS Engineer

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The technology aspect is awesome, using iBwave is another huge plus. Working with floorplans and creating designs and working with various contractors can be daunting, but great over all experience. There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on!

Cons

Management style is abrasive and communication from the top down is not readily available. Often there is conflicting information. The key is to maintain a positive outlook and understand every place of employment has challenges.

Try using a softer tone with communication and communication style. A manager must maintain respect, but you will get more bees with honey than with vinegar. In addition, ATC will have an easier time maintaining their talent pool.

Decent place to work for

I have been working at American Tower

Pros

Well established business, a lot of departments, lateral movement could be possible, not too far of a commute from Boston if necessary

Cons

Human Resources department is slow, people can sometimes be secretive, pay or salary probably is not the best around

Project Specialist Collocation (Contract)

Former Employee - Collocation Project Specialist in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Collocation Project Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The building is absolutely beautiful. The management is very friendly, Great contract pay, amenities like Gym and great Cafeteria were provided. As for the work itself it was really interesting and I loved doing it.

Cons

SUPER clique-y. If you don't fit in with these folks you will fail. I guess I was too much of a laid back New Hampshire person to fit in with the (what felt like) rough around the edges, unwelcoming feeling that reminded me of High School...

Regardless I was super friendly with everyone, did my job, even got reports back about what a great job I was doing. I expressed interest to my manager that I would love to apply to the open position that was available. And one week later I was dropped 3 months early from my contract.

This is really a great company with vision, integrity, and values.... but please for the love of humanity get rid of the childish cliques.... but that won't happen since the core of the cliques come from management.. Sigh.

Micromanagement, lack of growth, complete unprofessionalism!

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They provided vigorous training for a job that was completely new to me. So good opportunity to learn something new and learn more about telecom. Process is streamlined, so you know exactly what you have to do when you get there each morning. Easy to track and manage work.

Cons

There was no growth opportunity in the service delivery team I worked for in Cary, NC. Once trained, you will pretty much be doing the same thing every single day. Employees have been on the team for 6-7 years with no growth or any significant change in role. Team members are treated like clerks, no out of box thinking. This was a place for people who just needed a job and did not care much about quality, performance and growth. It was for people who did not want to speak, suggest and improve. Hire at a very poor rate, train vigorously for 2 weeks, set target and push people to achieve target without quality. The matrix for assessment was very number oriented not quality oriented. The approach is how many sites you can audit a day, not how well you can audit. Everyone is working for their self interest and no one cares about suggesting what can be better. Supervisors and managers have complete control. Micromanagement, unprofessional, rude behavior. They can yell at you over little things in public and rush into your cubicle over nothing. They set the grounds for everything and shut everyone else. They blame people and pull them down, misuse their power. Clearly they know they have no room for growth and want to stop anyone who is performing well. They are intimidated by smart, intelligent and hardworking people. They will give you a hard time and make sure you leave or let you go unprofessionally based on false accusations. You cannot believe anyone on this team. They do not know how to channel talent. You cannot be more talented and smarter than them, because if you are, you are GONE!! Manager has his own agenda, he does not communicate with his team- openly, clearly, honestly. He works for his interest and pulls down anyone who is working in the best interest of the company. They fire contractors based on false accusations, humiliate them and use names of those who were fired to intimidate new contractors and employees. So Inhuman!!

They threaten loss of your job if you do not abide by their agenda. There is no one who will listen to you or care about you and your hard work. This is a highly unprofessional, unethical and inhuman group of people to work for. All I say is don't let these people ridicule you and break you down! Leave at the first sign of unprofessionalism, because it will only grow. Don't waste your hardwork and ideas on these people. They will even blame you for following what you were asked to follow and trained to do, if it is not in their favor. Highly political and negative. There are wonderful companies/managers out there who know your worth and appreciate your hard work. You can grow and be a totally different person professionally. Find the right place as you are worth a lot more! I have been a highly likable employee everywhere I have worked, a great performer and doing awesome right now (way more than I had ever thought or expected). This company would have never paid me appreciated me and offered a title that I have right now even if I worked 10 years for them. DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE BRING YOU DOWN!! The manager and the supervisors are probably suffering in their career and so they cannot let anyone grow!

Cut down on Micromanagement
    Look around and don't leave the entire department/team dependent on one unprofessional manager
    Encourage out of box thinking
    Fix your performance assessment matrix
    Move people around, offer opportunities
    Get new people, encourage new vision, listen and understand
    Stability does not always come from having the same people on your team for 6-7 years, doing the same thing in the same old school way. Retain employees but encourage growth, modern training, new employees, new qualification and new thinking.
    Don't treat people like clerks because if you do, you may see the numbers that you want to see but what you are not seeing is that their is no quality. These numbers could be better and better quality too...need to think and explore, not fire people, humiliate and shut them up! You can let people go, but not break them. They are hardworking, honest and educated. They will stand tall and firm and create a door for themselves! Good things happen to good people. They will grow, you will be left where you were with your old team, old methods....because you don't encourage people and you don't support them! You are working for yourself, not for the company. There is a difference!

Run away.

Former Employee - Analyst in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have coffee. And bathrooms. Other than that, there isn't much here for anyone beyond a new college graduate or someone reentering the workplace.

Cons

Pay is stunningly atrocious. Also, the fake attitude suggesting that "we really do care about you" gets old pretty fast.

Maybe you should actually contemplate why turnover is so high. Don't just look at the numbers and think that it's business as usual. Actually think about it for once.

analyst

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

work balance ? they are busy....................

Cons

nothing , they are super great..............