American Tower Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
119 reviews filtered by
American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on (in 7 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company, Great atmosphere

Former Employee - Project Specialist
    Former Employee - Project Specialist

I worked at American Tower full-time

Pros

Great people, Positive culture, Minimal micromanagement, cross functional training, opportunities throughout organization, good benefits

Cons

Minimal Transparency with management (regarding company decisions). Pay scale slightly below what would be expected

Be more open with your employees about what's going on in the background.

Currently working at American Tower Corp.

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company growing and doing well financially, decent work-life balance, great benefits.

Cons

Career path is not always clearly defined.

Encourage new ideas and be more open minded about new ways of accomplishing tasks.

3. Very hospitable atmosphere centered around energetic employees

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Energetic atmosphere that provides an environment that is easy to work in with a great location

Cons

The Office layout and spacing in the office does not really promote unity.

They talk a good game

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at American Tower

Pros

Salary and bonus were good. Hours weren't too bad. Benefits were reasonable. Boston, Marlboro, and Woburn offices culturally seem like you're working for 3 different companies, however.

Cons

Very uneven management team, with too many promoted too early to manager and director level jobs. It really seems like the ship is in need of a few more able captains to keep the crew in order. Boston office culture in particular is very unfriendly.

Really dig into what is going on in your offices, rather than simply patting yourselves on the back for every cell tower purchase you make. Finance group and IT in particular need significant pruning.

Middle-management OK, upper-management and HR are ridiculous

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic business model -- they'll be around for a long time. Stable company in a fast-paced industry.

My immediate supervisor was great. He was approachable, polite, and got things done. He was easy to work with for scheduling time off and didn't have an issue if we had to leave in the middle of the day to go run a personal errand, as long as we got our time in. In short, he treated his subordinates as humans; it was great to be appreciated.

Time off: You start at 3 weeks of "flex-time" plus 3 "floating holidays" (due to the "diverse corporate culture and holidays that might not be celebrated in all cultures") so you essentially get 3.5 weeks off. You can borrow up to a week of flex time, but only one week carries over to the next year. After a few years you get a 4th week, and a few more years you get a 5th week off. I think you have to work there for 6 years to get that 5th week and then you've maxed out.

Health insurance coverage: some of the best out there. When I was last there, it wasn't too expensive for amazing coverage for a family. This was my biggest regret after leaving.

Pay: I was hourly and got as much overtime as I wanted.

Cons

HR is a joke and treats people like little children.

Upper management is similar; they have silly fantasies of "teams" (even though everyone works quietly in cubes all day). Many of them don't seem to have any function other than micromanaging subordinates with daily Excel spreadsheets of productivity; they track each employee's production every day (at least on my team).

Sick time is rolled into PTO under the guise of "flex time" so if you're sick for 3 weeks out of the year, you don't get any vacation unless you want to borrow flex time.

Very flat organization, there's only 5-6 layers of management between the lowest guy and the CEO. Difficult to advance.

Unlimited sick days would be nice and should be apart from vacation time. People shouldn't have to worry about losing vacation time because someone gave the the flu and had to take a lot of time off for that.

HR should treat employees as adults instead of children. For jobs that have no customer interaction and are 100% internal to the company, and time clocking in and out doesn't matter, the start and ending times of the day should be up to the employees as long as they are getting their work done.

Let more employees work from home on a regular basis. A large majority of the company can do their jobs remotely but are required to come into the office to satisfy upper management's "team" silliness.

Allow employees to carry over more than one week of flex time.

7. Deployment Manager

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly and fast pace work environment. As a contractor pay was above average.

Cons

Undefined processes due to the work load. Management increased personnel without defining processes to be successful.

Review resources and utilize all resources to fullest potential including contractors.

8. Leasing Coordinator

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Great hours, good pay, and helpful and knowledgeable management.

Cons

I have no cons about ATC.

9. Associate Analyst

Current Contractor - Associate Analyst in Cary, NC
    Current Contractor - Associate Analyst in Cary, NC

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great appreciation for employees. Management empowers employees to grow and learn.

Cons

Challenge can be deciding which direction to move into, there are so many opportunities available.

Good for early to mid- career only

I worked at American Tower (more than 5 years)

Pros

OK if you are early in your career development and located in Cary, Atlanta, Boston or Woburn offices, good training, good benefits

Cons

Managers often inexperienced in leadership and promoted often due to politics vs talent. Senior Mgmt/ Executive level is perfect example of a company that grew quickly and carried some poor managers all the way to Sr VP positions. HR is a joke, a mouthpiece of corporate and two-faced with employees. No raises, overly complex yearly reviews that contribute little to actual growth...just a showpiece for HR. Bonus structure becomes tilted every year to favor corporate. Poor communications and support between major divisions of the company. Top heavy with chiefs...little room for advancement. Many leave to go work for competitors. Competition never comes to work for American Tower..hmmm...

Senior (VP level up) have become too isolated and arrogant. Yearly "Town Halls" are a joke and just a "road show" to display how great the company is but is not followed up with tangible improvements.

11. Good company

I have been working at American Tower

Pros

I'd recommend working at American Tower. They have a good atmosphere and you get out what you put in.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to get the growth you're looking for internally. You need to make sure the right people are aware of the work you do.

You need to know more about what the day to day analysts are doing. Make sure you recognize the younger contributors because they are the future. Also stock grants aren't as good as salary.