American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on (in 7 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company would work their again in a heartbeat.

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Pros--Awesome benefits--great wellness plan. Overall great company

Cons

Personal growth--need to invest in their employees.

Good place to work

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, except sometimes.

Cons

Being contractor
    Never know when can be thrown out
    Some internal politics

Give chance to the work related talented currently working contract employees.

Nice place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Contractors feel like outsiders when it comes to social functions.

IT, you are the weakest link!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like the people. Hours are reasonable.

Cons

I would like my job except that horrible computer systems make it impossible to do it. I have worked for several other companies small and large and American Tower by far has the worst IT systems I have ever seen.

We have dozens of different systems and almost none of them talk to each other, and you typically don't have access to all of the systems that you need. As a result, you spend a good amount of time each day emailing multiple different departments to get the information you need, and then they have to take the time of out of their workday to read information to you that's in a different system.

New hires get a glazed-over look on their first day when they learn that their job will require them to learn 8 different systems, and that's not counting getting the correct access to them. Lease administration software is from the dark ages (that also includes the Excel spreadsheets that are still used). It shocks my senses to think how big we are as a real estate company and we are using software that I think I used back when I got my first Apple II computer. Have someone walk into the closest 5 office buildings from corporate headquarters and ask the property managers which lease administration software they use. I'm sure none of them use what we have.

As for project management software, some departments use Footprints, which is really a "help desk" tool to help technicians diagnose problems like not having internet access. If you go to the Footprints website, it actually says this. Footprints is not meant for project management. I did a double-take when I learned about that, especially considering how many great project management tools there are out there. Using Footprints for project management is like a right-handed person cutting her lawn with dull lefty scissors.

Those are just two examples of our systems.

Not only are the IT tools horrible, but there is absolutely no data integrity at the company. You are told on your first day "don't trust that any information or document is correct," Huh? You don't have people to routinely audit your data to make sure it is correct? You just leave incorrect data in the system so that the next person who looks at it will be tripped up by the same mistake?

The scary thing is that many long-term employees (management and otherwise) have become so used to the dysfunction that they don't even see it any more. Their typical response is "well, it used to be worse before." That's like saying, "Well, yes I drive a 1977 Ford Pinto with an exploding gas tank, but it's a heck of a lot nicer than my 1973 Ford Pinto with an exploding gas tank AND a rusty fender. At least this one doesn't have any rust."

Don't bother asking to get these systems fixed. When you do push to get something fixed, the usual response is that IT is so busy that it will take years to fix, it will cost too much money, etc.

You would think that we would have top-notch systems considering that our building is bursting at the seams with IT people. At this rate, I think in 2 years we will have more IT people in the building than actual tower people. It puzzles me why a real estate company employs more IT people than Microsoft, and why we don't just "simplify" everything by outsourcing tasks that we are clearly not very good at.

I really could go on forever, but the short of the long is that if you are used to a well-oiled machine when it comes to IT, American Tower may not be the place for you. You will be spending a good portion of your day dealing with these problems instead of focusing on your actual job.

Outsource your IT. Reduce the number of IT systems you use. Make sure the systems you use are the right tools for the job and can communicate with other systems.

Great place to start your career out of college, but don't plan on staying.

Former Employee - Deployment Manager
    Former Employee - Deployment Manager

I worked at American Tower as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Tremendous amount of experienced and educated professionals. The team environment can really help you learn quickly and grow as an industry leader. This is an overly fast paced company that likes to make aggressive promises to the customer, which really challenges your knowledge and organizational skills.

Cons

Working over 60 hours a week with out any time off, is expected. Contract employees are discriminated against and have no HR representation. No internal training provided to contract employees, but are expected to solve difficult problems with out any support or tools to remedy the situation. ATC prefers to risk the customer service and perception by taking short cuts and not properly planning for resources available.

Tenure with a company does not make you an effective manger. Listen to the real industry experiences that you hire and then let go when the first sign of the annual slow down in the construction season.

If You Work in Engineering, Work Somewhere Else

I worked at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ATC has good benefits: RSUs, ESPP, 401(k), surprisingly good insurance, and I personally was paid well enough. Additionally, if you learn how to navigate the system (at least in Engineering), keep your head down, and don't make waves, you can wile away your 8 hours a day doing next to nothing.

Cons

I found the culture at ATC - at least on the Engineering side where I worked - demoralizing and oppressive. Though there were some decent individuals, in general, the management was incompetent, hesitating to make simple process changes that would have made life easier for rank and file employees for no other reason than that they didn't want to stick their necks out. Their incompetence, of course, made them insecure, and their insecurity made them oppressive, so in stark contrast to their feckless dithering when it came to improving process, the one arena in which they could act decisively was when silencing criticism.

And as if the intra-group oppressiveness weren't enough, there was inter-departmental antagonism and mistrust aplenty. I personally saw emails where people in the Finance department did little more than point fingers at the Operations and Development teams, and I was involved in Operations trouble-shooting sessions where the express goal of the meeting was not to find the root cause of an incident but rather to find a way to absolve Operations by pinning responsibility on the Development team.

In an atmosphere like this, an employee generally has three options:

1. Stop caring, keep one's head down, and do as little as possible.
    2. Work the system and become as slimy an operator as the managers. For example, get yourself peripherally but non-essentially attached to as many projects as possible, then walk nonchalantly away from those projects that are bound for failure while associating yourself more closely with those projects that seem headed for success. Never take responsibility; always take credit.
    3. Leave.

If you take a job in the Engineering department of ATC, you can reasonably expect most of your colleagues to fit into one of those three groups, so if you are currently entertaining an offer from ATC and you aren't a slimy political operator, then I would sincerely advise you, as someone with no stake in your decision, to reflect soberly on your options before accepting their offer.

There's no reason to give advice to the upper management at this company. From what I could see, the rot goes high into the organization. I don't know that the rot extends to the CEO, who, though I give him a thumbs down below, always struck me as an intelligent and forthright person. However, intelligent and forthright or not, I don't think he's close enough to his organization to realize what a cesspool his Managers, Directors, and VPs were (and perhaps still are) making of his Engineering organization.

Good people, great work-life balance

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

I have been working at American Tower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting legal work, friendly co-workers, supportive management, reasonable compensation, strong emphasis on employee development, opportunities to travel and take outside classes, and good work-life balance.

Cons

Frustrating IT systems with little or ineffective training, small minority of negative long-term employees, overuse of email to have conversations that should occur in person or on the phone.

Hire some people who are IT educators - the IT staff may be great at implementation, but effective teaching skills are not in their repertoire.

A nice place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at American Tower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Upward mobility
    -Fast paced environment
    -Stock price rising
    -Nice benefits package
    -Good workplace atmosphere

Cons

-Compensation is a bit below average
    -Lots of turnover at the management level
    -Training practices are not mature

Keep growing the business and maybe increase base pay to reflect the company's growth, good financial position.

I worked at American Tower

Pros

Greta growth and stock option

Cons

no work llife balance, will run you into the ground

Decent place to work for

I have been working at American Tower

Pros

Well established business, a lot of departments, lateral movement could be possible, not too far of a commute from Boston if necessary

Cons

Human Resources department is slow, people can sometimes be secretive, pay or salary probably is not the best around