American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.

Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay, benefits and work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little work-life balance, particularly for contractors(in 3 reviews)

• Each time a contractor leaves, management asks them to write a 'positive' review on this site(in 3 reviews)

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, pay and bonuses

ConsNeed to work on communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer additional training to help employees grow.

Here, do this and wait for further instruction.

Project Specialist (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsThe pay is high compared to the work you perform. Room to be promoted and work your way up.

ConsHealth benefits are twice as high than if you apply as an individual. Contracted workers are treated like garbage compared to full-time employees. Office is very quiet and dark on the contractor side of the building. Minimal communication with management on what they expect. People are hired and fired weekly with their at-will contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually manage. Communicate with your team if something could be or should be done better.

Fan of fiefdoms? You found your home!

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, pleasant work atmosphere, competent employees. The company is headed in the right direction, and is poised to become hugely successful.

ConsExperts say, 'Never make yourself indispensable; never get to the point of saying, "There's no way they can fire me." ' That's an area of opportunity for American Tower.

A lot of territory battles over the smallest of issues could have been easily avoided. Instead, I saw very talented new hires get the cold shoulder for no other reason than to maintain the status quo's egos. Make no mistake: VERY NICE people, VERY PLEASANT egos, but unnecessarily stubborn and a hindrance to progress.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stumbling, Rambling, Machiavellian - and that's just the IT department!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA chance to learn a the business of a new industry.

ConsWhere to begin.... IT is a MESS. One of the managers proudly informs new hires that they have no IT experience - only HR experience. That should be your first red flag. Second red flag - the department is mostly contractors. Many who do not want extensions to to become permanent employees. And those that do become permanent employees had to simultaneously walk on water while kissing serious butt and stroking egos to accomplish the hiring on. There is little consideration towards treating contractors - or even FTEs - as human beings with ideas and thoughts that might actually help the business.

The IT motto when it comes to documentation - "Make it pretty. Who cares about the content".

Each time a contractor leaves, management asks them to write a 'positive' review on this site. Be sure that the only positive reviews you are reading on this site are from management themselves, who are fabricating the reviews to make the company look more attractive. Were I you, I would look elsewhere than American Tower.

Not always a place I want to be.

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsComp and benefits are above average. Lots of opportunities for employee to self educate due to an extensive development center. Very fast-paced environment with a lot of high talent and very personable people. Some teams really know how to promote from within and encourage employee development and career growth. Others don't.

ConsLeading by example is missing. Can't get time off. I mean, there is time off, but you can't enjoy it as no one disconnects. The downside of a fast-paced environment and a big missed opportunity to lead by example. They pay well but they extract their pound of flesh.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to your employees and hear what they are and aren't saying. Figure out how to provide a solid work life balance before you start losing talent.

Horrible communications regarding project expectations for the newbie

Project Specialist (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsModern offices, independent work environment, great location from home

ConsTraining is a joke (bad scheduling, jumped from conference room to conference room); no real direction - as a contractor I was put in a fishbowl of interruptions while my coworkers was in a quiet environment so we couldn't coordinate our projects. Also had another contractor CONSTANTLY interrupting me to teach me her job simply by imitating the steps of her project (i.e. she shows us one step, then we each sit down and imitate the step) when all I needed was a step list; also, would be "reasonable" for those of us who have to drive to get alternative schedule (even just a few days a week)

Advice to Senior ManagementPROFESSIONAL training for new staff/contractor that is scheduled and not just scribbled notes from an employee who is too busy to teach ; give a better idea of the go-to lead; give more that 3 days one week (closed due to employee fun day) and 2 days the next to learn projects; free up staff to teach contractors their jobs and give a reasonable learning curve; and don't scrimp on salaries for decent IT people, since AT has just about EVERY application open on their desktops (have you never heard of bandwidth?)

Penny Pay Produces Poor Performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsThe best part of American Tower is the day you walk out the door for good!

ConsI should have known better than to accept when I was offered my position and attempted to negotiate a minute pay increase. I was told, "It's non-negotiable," which pretty much sums up working at American Tower.

From the day I started until the day I left, they were concerned about numbers (as in more pay for upper management and horrible salaries from middle-management down).

CEO Jim Taiclet earned more than $12 MILLION in 2013; Chief Financial Officer Tom Barlett earned more than $4.5 MILLION in 2013; President Steven Marshall earned more than $4.2 MILLION in 2013; Exec. VP William Hess earned more than $4 MILLION in 2013; and Exec. VP Edmund Disanto earned more than $3.8 MILLION in 2013.

The company scrimps in regard to across-the-board company salaries - again for middle management and below - and tends to hire fresh-out-of-college graduates who will work for pennies on the dollar - only to leave at the first growth opportunity.

As for customer service, I worked with great people, who cared about the industry and client goodwill; however, with the limited resources (as in too few people for too great a workload), staff just could not provide the "premium" level of service on which American Tower supposedly prides itself.

It is a shame that American Tower does not understand the simple concept, "You get what you pay for." Their executives seem to ba$k in the glow of that knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that the company start paying for the quality they seek.

Bureaucratic, division of labor makes no sense, low pay, "busy work", management is ok but could be better

Director (Current Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsGood benefits, work-life balance, stable company

ConsManagement has no sense of what motivates employees (at times, they kill motivation), low salaries, promotions take a life time, problem employees get away with a lot because managers do not have the skills to handle them which results in the loss of good employees who are smart enough to move on; IT is a joke; legal department is dysfunctional and it's lawyers do not nothing but complain and talk about each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wise to recognize you don't know it all and that you could learn to be better managers from those managers below you and by the way, don't steal their ideas without giving them proper credit. Don't let your friendships cloud your judgment about a person's performance. Recognize the stars from the deadweight and let them lead. Put the complainers in their place, not those they complain about. Chances are, they are actually working hard for you! pay people market rates. $ is always a good motivator. Reorganize the IT department from the ground up. Do something with your legal department. They remind me of high school.

If you like to be Micromanaged, ATC is the place for you!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

Pros- Benefits
    - Exciting growth at the company
    - Stock doing well

Cons- Management is very old school, and you are constantly micromanaged, as they have no trust in their employees
    - No flexibility
    - A " I must see you in your seat working" mentality
    - No real culture (yet during the interview process you hear about the great culture)
    - Compensation is not comparable to other companies in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and trust your employees. Flexibility and work life balance is a must in today working world. Compensation is sub-par so you must make up for that in other area such as flexibility and benefits.

Great Company

ProsBenefits are great and so are the people

ConsOpportunities outside of the Boston area

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!