American Tower Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
1.0
American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.
Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros
  • There can be a work-life balance, but it is paramount to establish those boundaries early on (in 7 reviews)

• Stable company, decent benefits, laid back work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance is inconsistent (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke (in 3 reviews)

Structural Engineer

Former Employee - Structural Engineer I in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer I in Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are nice and most of the employees are genuinely good people. It is a good stepping stone company or beginner job for an engineer.

Cons

The longer you stay with the company the more you get funneled into a very small industry where most people know each other and only a few players call the shots. Also your ability to grow as an engineer is limited since you only work on towers and essentially become a tower engineer. Besides that the company still uses a proprietary software to analyze towers which was developed in the 1990s, it's pretty outdated and has many glitches. The engineering department is very automated in the ways that they do things so any ingenuity is smashed since they want all the engineers to do things exactly the same way and there is no incentive to think outside the box. Only a few engineers do real engineering the rest just do data entry. The company values the shareholders first and foremost and the employee comes secondary at best. Most of my time in the company management made the engineers work overtime without pay and when I spoke up about it I was told that everyone else did it so why couldn't I be a "team player." I had a target on my back for questioning the unrealistic goals and overtime requirements, receiving a bad yearly review for it, this from a company that supposedly encourages employees to speak up. They have a productivity tracker that micromanages everything, you are to keep track of every single thing you do and your productivity is determined from this "magical tracker." Instead of feeling like I was working with my coworkers I felt like I was competing against them for a reward that seemed non-existent...

Advice to Management

This is not 2009 anymore, the economy is picking up steam and times are changing. Strong leadership embraces change and different ideas, not only "yes men." If you do not have the courage to stand up to the leaders above you when they give you unrealistic goals and expectations do not take it out on the people below you by trying to force them to work overtime without pay. if you do then you are going to have a hard time attracting and keeping top talent. Also do not question why individuals leave bad reviews like this one on an open forum.

Lackluster Company: lacks innovation, etihics and employee value.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cary, NC

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits is the main objective keeping current employees in their positions. Stocks, bonus, holidays and once you hit 6-years full vacation are the main positives. Usually collaboration amongst your own team mates is positive.

Cons

Directors, managers and upper management do not listen to concerns and process improvements that the core groups who majorly contribute to the companies success. The core values the company "exhibits" are of face value only to maintain a corporate structure. Many have witnessed situations where one employee on a team is an issue and causes others to loose privileges and other benefits instead of holding the individual responsible. HR pushes things "under the rug" there are managers and employees who are never held accountable for their actions, lack of contribution, quality work, poor leadership, negativity and rudeness and even retaliation against people who stand up for themselves or try to involve HR over serious issues. Sadly a lot of issues go unreported due to fear of losing your job. The Corporate office in Boston is completely disconnected from other offices, decisions are made involving processes and procedures without cross-functional understanding which severely affect day to day operations. Data quality is extremely poor between the main office and other teams leaving others to "clean up others work" and told "It is easier for you to fix than us" Teams are often "put down" during conference calls by the VPs despite their continued hard work and effort to preserve the data quality and enhance customer experiences with the company. There is little room for advancement and politics are required to move up. Attempts to realign groups have failed, this company is striving for the top position but not realizing the value and commitment of the lower ranks.

Advice to Management

Employee surveys and interviews should return, re-evaluate core values and listen to the employees. Management and VPs need to be held accountable for actions and lack of positive leadership. Before changing policies, procedures and roles understand 100% of the positions role and its effects on other teams. Some of the current management positions should be re-evaluated. The workers are what what have made this company a success, there is a reason so many are leaving currently, it is not the employes fighting change and growth it is the management with their uninformed hypotheses about what is best.

Structural Engineer I

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

The company offers generous PTO, a decent benefit package, the option to purchase stock, a wellness reimbursement, and the occasional team/company field trip as a thank you for all the hard work.

Cons

The nature of the work is basically that of a production environment. Work, work, work...pump out as many analyses as possible. Your production output is measured very closely in a spreadsheet that everyone can see. Most of the engineers are working with software that is not used in the consultant world...it is owned and used only by the company, which can hinder an individual's skill set. It is assumed the you are to spend your own time to learn what you would normally learn on the job anywhere else. So basically, you work in the production mill as the whip is is cracked and you learn pertinent information on your off time after all the overtime. For the time being, just plug away and make sure the production goal is met, and if it isn't...overtime will be required/suggested/implied....depending on how management wants to word it or employ fear tactics on the occasion. You will receive very short notice to complete certain assignments. I have witnessed it. And you will be pressured into doing whatever it takes to help the team. Many times, there are very unrealistic goals and management has a bunch of guys fresh out of college that will many times just do what they are told, without questioning anything, and more or less create a consensus and general acceptance of a workplace with low morale and long hours. Management takes this as the green light to establish this as a standard for every one to abide by. In other words, if someone else jumps off of a bridge, it will be expected for you to to do the same...very micromanaging and sad from a corporation that does nothing but speak of record highs and bright futures on every conference call and every meeting. At one point, the entire engineering department of very hard working and dedicated individuals, was required to work half of a day on employee appreciation day after it had been confirmed that we were to have the day off to enjoy a baseball game in appreciation for the sacrifices that many people make to their work-life balance for the business. The communique was sent out a few hours before end of business the previous day. What a great way to thank your employees. Too many layers. Takes forever to get decisions approved. A few individuals that have their head above the clouds and are company men to the fullest...good for them. Again, don't expect that to become the standard from everyone else. I have seen the guy that chases around management and is a yes-man, treating the guys above like gods and the people below him like peons, advance very quickly in this setting...poor judge of character on behalf of management. Strong leadership should embrace people who bring different ideas and speak up. Ladies and gentlemen, despite all of this and much of what was left out, the job is an ok starter opportunity, but after a while you will see that all that matters is production and squeezing every last dollars worth out ambitious young men and women. I hate to be the one leaving an overall bad review for a company that I have had higher hopes for from the start. Again, this is one opinion and you would have to see for yourself to agree or disagree.

Advice to Management

I understand that it is very easy to point fingers to the guy above when the adequate compensation can't be offered to employees, or promotions for that matter, or when the business demands are ridiculous and quite frankly unattainable without the man power...But don't play politics or employ fear tactics. We can all turn on the television set for some good entertainment or a scare. Be real. No BS...as someone else mentioned in a previous review. Also, as far as each individual's career is concerned, get rid of the analysis software that is currently used...it's 2015 and the competitors are ahead. Not to mention, there are other individuals here that are being swamped with workloads because they are the only ones who know how to use a different software. Let us all advance and learn new software. If the engineers weren't short staffed and having to work all these hours, they would be able to focus on developing themselves into more valuable assets to the organization and their careers. Baby steps. I understand it can be quite the challenge to speak with higher ups that only see numbers...but then again that's management. One delegate and represent the employees for the good of the company, without sacrificing the wellness of the employee. Thank you for your time.

Structural Engineer I

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Pros

Benefits! Benefits! Benefits! Good people that work very hard

Cons

Pretty much everything else unless you want to sit in front of three screens and see your life drift away. Just saying...

Advice to Management

Promote your hard working employees and pay them what they deserve. Stop with all the bs everything is going great culture and be straight with your employees. No sugar coating

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

salary was good but not worth it...

Cons

managers beat you down, unprofessional.

Advice to Management

management training needed

Who's the boss?

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable hours. Paid time off. Many nice people.

Cons

I knew I should have run away after my interview when I asked about how IT is perceived by internal clients, and my future manager said that "we don't see them as clients, but as partners." It didn't take long for me to figure out that IT was THE most hated group in the whole company and that my job was the definition of a Catch 22. On the one hand you have clients who have a laundry list of complaints about our systems. And who can blame them? The systems are an embarrassment for a company of that size. They're so bad that I would guess that they cost the average user 2 hours a day in lost productivity. But to make matters worse, you have an IT group that is in a state of denial. Their attitude is that users are a bunch of complainers. The motto is that "the customer is always wrong," and you're not allowed to admit that there are any problems. It takes 10 mouse clicks to select "OK" in a program? That's within normal parameters. But we have a workaround where you only have to click 8 times. Problem solved. When IT does a project, we are told to help "guide" the customer about what they want, not the other way around. Listening to the customer is not in the vocabulary. It's our way or forget about getting anything done. I left because I was tired of being the bad guy. When I took the "company" position with customers, I got yelled at by them. When I tried to advocate for customers with IT management, I got yelled at by management. No win situation.

Advice to Management

Clean house in IT. Hire people who understand that customers won't hate you if you actually listen to them and do what they ask you to do.

Disfunctional Legal Department

Pros

I can find nothing good about working at American Tower except perhaps the stock RSUs and the $500 wellness money.

Cons

If you want to be berated and told you are a complete waste of space, then ATC Legal is the place the to be. The Managers and Supervisors in this department are unqualified leaders who take pleasure in browbeating their employees. They also take no responsibility for their actions and actually blame the overworked employees for errors. The abused, underpaid workers of ATC have come to symbolize poor working conditions, especially long working hours and over worked employees.

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO and President - Reorg your legal department and hire professionals instead of the hacks you have working their now.

Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Sales & Use Tax Accountant in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Sales & Use Tax Accountant in Woburn, MA

Pros

They give yearly $500 reimbursement for Gym/sport activity

Cons

They are cheap, don't even tell you that you need to travel for your job and makes you travel 50% of the time and there are people at director level who tells you that lunch money won't be reimbursed even if it is $5 in total!! The worst part is HR does nothing about that. Very discriminating culture in finance. To make it worst they do not even pay business travel bills after months and months. Horrible experience ever.

Advice to Management

Do not support incompetent discriminating people. HR learn to provide training to your managers- some of them are super incompetent.

Watch your back, no place for growth.

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Cary, NC

Pros

Great pay, and the food was amazing.

Cons

Entry -level employees are treated like pawns, when not needed anymore they are quickly disposed of. The middle management of contractors is non existent,and has a bad attitude.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the weakness in the group. You are only as great as your weakest team player.

Dead end job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at American Tower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay (for younger kids getting out of college).

Cons

The collocation team seems like a fun frat house environment when you start working there. However, the catty, high school mentality of management knows within a day of knowing you if they are going to fast track you. The superficiality of management is outrageous. If they want you apart of their "clique" you will succeed. If you don't drink the koolaid you will be left in the dust. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is based on merit. I moved to the accounts receivable team thinking I would be relieved. The management was extremely aggressive and verbally abusive constantly (for no reason mind you as I was a top performer). I brought my concerns to HR and they fell on deaf ears. I had no choice but to resign from my position due to this harassment I was incurring on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Just because you are a billion dollar company it doesn't mean that things aren't broken within the organization. Start looking inward and realize that good people consistently leave to go elsewhere (turnover is a word that American Tower knows very well). Reward employees based on merit and not whether the manager could see themselves sitting at the same table as them in high school.

RSS Feed </> Embed