American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.

Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good pay, benefits and work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Stumbling, Rambling, Machiavellian - and that's just the IT department!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA chance to learn a the business of a new industry.

ConsWhere to begin.... IT is a MESS. One of the managers proudly informs new hires that they have no IT experience - only HR experience. That should be your first red flag. Second red flag - the department is mostly contractors. Many who do not want extensions to to become permanent employees. And those that do become permanent employees had to simultaneously walk on water while kissing serious butt and stroking egos to accomplish the hiring on. There is little consideration towards treating contractors - or even FTEs - as human beings with ideas and thoughts that might actually help the business.

The IT motto when it comes to documentation - "Make it pretty. Who cares about the content".

Each time a contractor leaves, management asks them to write a 'positive' review on this site. Be sure that the only positive reviews you are reading on this site are from management themselves, who are fabricating the reviews to make the company look more attractive. Were I you, I would look elsewhere than American Tower.

Horrible communications regarding project expectations for the newbie

Project Specialist (Former Employee)
    Woburn, MA

ProsModern offices, independent work environment, great location from home

ConsTraining is a joke (bad scheduling, jumped from conference room to conference room); no real direction - as a contractor I was put in a fishbowl of interruptions while my coworkers was in a quiet environment so we couldn't coordinate our projects. Also had another contractor CONSTANTLY interrupting me to teach me her job simply by imitating the steps of her project (i.e. she shows us one step, then we each sit down and imitate the step) when all I needed was a step list; also, would be "reasonable" for those of us who have to drive to get alternative schedule (even just a few days a week)

Advice to Senior ManagementPROFESSIONAL training for new staff/contractor that is scheduled and not just scribbled notes from an employee who is too busy to teach ; give a better idea of the go-to lead; give more that 3 days one week (closed due to employee fun day) and 2 days the next to learn projects; free up staff to teach contractors their jobs and give a reasonable learning curve; and don't scrimp on salaries for decent IT people, since AT has just about EVERY application open on their desktops (have you never heard of bandwidth?)

Penny Pay Produces Poor Performance

Woburn, MA

ProsThe best part of American Tower is the day you walk out the door for good!

ConsI should have known better than to accept when I was offered my position and attempted to negotiate a minute pay increase. I was told, "It's non-negotiable," which pretty much sums up working at American Tower.

From the day I started until the day I left, they were concerned about numbers (as in more pay for upper management and horrible salaries from middle-management down).

CEO Jim Taiclet earned more than $12 MILLION in 2013; Chief Financial Officer Tom Barlett earned more than $4.5 MILLION in 2013; President Steven Marshall earned more than $4.2 MILLION in 2013; Exec. VP William Hess earned more than $4 MILLION in 2013; and Exec. VP Edmund Disanto earned more than $3.8 MILLION in 2013.

The company scrimps in regard to across-the-board company salaries - again for middle management and below - and tends to hire fresh-out-of-college graduates who will work for pennies on the dollar - only to leave at the first growth opportunity.

As for customer service, I worked with great people, who cared about the industry and client goodwill; however, with the limited resources (as in too few people for too great a workload), staff just could not provide the "premium" level of service on which American Tower supposedly prides itself.

It is a shame that American Tower does not understand the simple concept, "You get what you pay for." Their executives seem to ba$k in the glow of that knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that the company start paying for the quality they seek.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like to be Micromanaged, ATC is the place for you!

Woburn, MA

Pros- Benefits
    - Exciting growth at the company
    - Stock doing well

Cons- Management is very old school, and you are constantly micromanaged, as they have no trust in their employees
    - No flexibility
    - A " I must see you in your seat working" mentality
    - No real culture (yet during the interview process you hear about the great culture)
    - Compensation is not comparable to other companies in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and trust your employees. Flexibility and work life balance is a must in today working world. Compensation is sub-par so you must make up for that in other area such as flexibility and benefits.

Company is a joke - look elsewhere if you want a career and decent mentors

ProsThere are only a few good things that make working here bearable and they are health benefits, location, employees and job security because it is a strong industry and market for cell towers is booming

ConsManagers are incompetent and put people down. Supervisors are dumber than a door nail . HR is even worse when they hire and promote people whose behavior should of had them fired. No knowledge of labor laws. THE PAY SUCKS, the RAISES ARE a joke and then they tell you how much money the company made. Guess the executives are the only ones benefitting from all that money because it certainly isn't being shared among the workers .

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves; you're not professional. Stop putting workers down in order to build yourselves up. You have great employees and you should start paying them at market. Most employees are working part time jobs to make up for the lack of pay.

Mindless

Legal (Current Employee)
    Woburn, MA

ProsStable company, decent benefits, laid back work environment.

ConsThe work is mindless and there is no opportunity for growth, training is awful and pay is not consistent with the market. Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

Unbelievable

Cary, NC

ProsThe people that are not in management are a pleasure to work with

ConsMANAGEMENT........ Management micro manages .... they do not listen or communicate with their staff.... They jump to conclusions without asking questions..... They have unreasonable expectations for a skeleton crew.... They have no clue what the people do that they manage or how to do the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have done the jobs in their department so that they know how things are supposed to go.

Don't work Here

Woburn, MA

ProsThe pay is good. You can listen to music all day.

ConsThey are hiring only temps and it is really hard to get hired. Poor Management. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your company motto is say what you mean and do what you say. You really shouldn't lie to people.

The worst company I have ever worked for

Prosvery good benefits including payments for wellness, 401k match. The base pay is low, but the equity/stock is great, and can keep people there for many years. The company is very successful. Access to good training opportunities.

ConsThis is the most oppressive company I have ever worked. Nobody has autonomy and any decision needs to go through many many layers of approval - the company operates like they have 50,000 employees, while they only less than 3,000 employees. It's not uncommon to find bosses yelling at the employees. Anyone seriously looking to work at American Tower should be very careful to ask the right questions through the interview process. ATC is truly a "big brother" type of company. Hopefully ATC is making changes to address the massive turnover and issues they see.

Advice to Senior Managementactually listen to your employees.

Think twice before signing up for this train wreck

Woburn, MA

ProsNone. Quitting is no longer an option as the new regime has made all of their vendors sign a document saying they will not hire any ATC employees for at least a year after they quit. This means if you work in telecom, no one that does business with ATC, can hire you, so where are you going to go??? Your option is to get yourself fired to get around this, but who wants to do that? This is how ATC now does business, which is despicable. Can you say sour grapes?

ConsSee above. Can't leave this horrible company. Management from Director level and above is worthless. There's a reason why the largest carrier in the USA refuses to do business with this company any more.

Also, ask around and see how many higher level positions have left in the last 6 months. That should tell you all you need to know. For those who are stuck and can't leave, I feel bad for you. If you are considering a move here, don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't listen, so why bother. My advice to the Board is to fire from the President on down to most of the directors.

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!

American Tower – Why Work for Us?

Over the past few years American Tower has enjoyed tremendous global growth. Today, employees on five continents and in eleven markets are responsible for the Company’s success. They work together to provide services… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Tower reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Tower CEO Jim Taiclet Jr. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by American Tower employees.