American Tower

American Tower Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Tower Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Taiclet Jr.

Jim Taiclet Jr.

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance - You can work 40 hours a week and in some cases work from home"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Company is growing, so it's an interesting time to be a part of it"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Company is a joke - look elsewhere if you want a career and decent mentors

I have been working at American Tower full-time

ProsThere are only a few good things that make working here bearable and they are health benefits, location, employees and job security because it is a strong industry and market for cell towers is booming

ConsManagers are incompetent and put people down. Supervisors are dumber than a door nail . HR is even worse when they hire and promote people whose behavior should of had them fired. No knowledge of labor laws. THE PAY SUCKS, the RAISES ARE a joke and then they tell you how much money the company made. Guess the executives are the only ones benefitting from all that money because it certainly isn't being shared among the workers .

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves; you're not professional. Stop putting workers down in order to build yourselves up. You have great employees and you should start paying them at market. Most employees are working part time jobs to make up for the lack of pay.

Mindless

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable company, decent benefits, laid back work environment.

ConsThe work is mindless and there is no opportunity for growth, training is awful and pay is not consistent with the market. Upper management has no respect for employees and the majority of employees think upper management is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees

Unbelievable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people that are not in management are a pleasure to work with

ConsMANAGEMENT........ Management micro manages .... they do not listen or communicate with their staff.... They jump to conclusions without asking questions..... They have unreasonable expectations for a skeleton crew.... They have no clue what the people do that they manage or how to do the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have done the jobs in their department so that they know how things are supposed to go.

Don't work Here

Woburn, MA

I have been working at American Tower as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe pay is good. You can listen to music all day.

ConsThey are hiring only temps and it is really hard to get hired. Poor Management. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your company motto is say what you mean and do what you say. You really shouldn't lie to people.

The worst company I have ever worked for

I have been working at American Tower full-time

Prosvery good benefits including payments for wellness, 401k match. The base pay is low, but the equity/stock is great, and can keep people there for many years. The company is very successful. Access to good training opportunities.

ConsThis is the most oppressive company I have ever worked. Nobody has autonomy and any decision needs to go through many many layers of approval - the company operates like they have 50,000 employees, while they only less than 3,000 employees. It's not uncommon to find bosses yelling at the employees. Anyone seriously looking to work at American Tower should be very careful to ask the right questions through the interview process. ATC is truly a "big brother" type of company. Hopefully ATC is making changes to address the massive turnover and issues they see.

Advice to Senior Managementactually listen to your employees.

Think twice before signing up for this train wreck

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone. Quitting is no longer an option as the new regime has made all of their vendors sign a document saying they will not hire any ATC employees for at least a year after they quit. This means if you work in telecom, no one that does business with ATC, can hire you, so where are you going to go??? Your option is to get yourself fired to get around this, but who wants to do that? This is how ATC now does business, which is despicable. Can you say sour grapes?

ConsSee above. Can't leave this horrible company. Management from Director level and above is worthless. There's a reason why the largest carrier in the USA refuses to do business with this company any more.

Also, ask around and see how many higher level positions have left in the last 6 months. That should tell you all you need to know. For those who are stuck and can't leave, I feel bad for you. If you are considering a move here, don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't listen, so why bother. My advice to the Board is to fire from the President on down to most of the directors.

Would work there again if you paid me triple!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Tower

ProsYou get to see into the world of cell towers and how they work.

ConsHorrible management in IT. Very immature and politically motivated. Training is non-existent and management is more interested in making technical requirements documents look pretty instead of being complete and useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up that IT department and get some real IT-experienced managers in there!

Telco professionals - Please save yourselves by going to Glassdoor first.

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are The only reason why the underdogs stay. Bonuses are after taxes & they've just made them harder to get with a point system. Don't get sucked in.

ConsClicky snobs will do fine as they are the only ones pre-selected for coddling and promotions. The rest will Never receive additional experience to move up so they will be passed over for promotions and will absolutely be laid off once they've wrung you out. Those who remain buy the nicest clothes and will drown on exhausted, understaffed, "scalable" teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not even worth leaving any advice any to these people because they use all the buzz words while continually abiding by immoral favoritism which ultimately advances their own success so it won't stop. All who've tried to speak up have been met with a united front of blank stares and feigned ignorance.

Horrible Management, Very Low Pay

RF Engineer (Former Employee)
Cary, NC

I worked at American Tower full-time

Proswell, there are few good people

ConsHorrible Management, Low Pay, Extremely discouraging Work Place

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management and CEO are fine, but junior management needs to learn how to treat their employees right (also don't pretend like you know everything when in fact you have scammed your way to management level and don't even know how to do a simple math).

A disapointing waste of my time

Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Tower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere aren't any these days.

ConsA New business model is designed to provide a tool (data base) which no longer manages document integrety, instead it measure response, process time, etc of each employeeout against other employees of same responsibilities. Eventually all of us that have been loyal employees will be terminator then replaced with short term contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementEventually stockholders will figure out the games those members of the 3rd floor have played and the previous employee's you have wronged. I would expect stockhoolders will get tired of paying off lawsuits to those previous employees.

Worked for American Tower? Contribute to the Community!

American Tower – Why Work for Us?

Over the past few years American Tower has enjoyed tremendous global growth. Today, employees on four continents and in ten markets are responsible for the Company’s success. They work together to provide services and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Tower reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Tower CEO Jim Taiclet Jr. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by American Tower employees.