American Trading International

Not So Bad After All

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work with major domestic manufacturers and International buyers in a short period of time, and I was able to learn how to negotiate and organize myself as a professional. Even though I did not have experience in this industry I came from a completely different background (but was still in sales) but was given the opportunity to learn International Business and Food and Beverage Industry. Given that I am currently looking for employment I look back on my experience at ATI and realize that I did not really appreciate the opportunities that I was given at the time or the willingness of the company to teach me how to maximize my potential while growing the sales for the company. There are some excellent opportunities at this company especially coming from someone who has had 2 jobs since – both that promised more but turned out to be much less.

Cons

Since I came from a sales background in a different industry I thought that I would be able to pick up and just start selling, however I quickly learned that International Sales is much different than domestic sales and even a traditional sales position that I have held at several other companies. It can be frustrating to someone that is used to producing immediate results or landing accounts quickly. International sales takes a lot of time and is not for everyone, especially not people that think they are “sales” people. This position required working on several leads over 6 months to over a year in order to come to a completed order. That being said working in the international arena is still very exciting and every day is different. Not everyone can handle that and not everyone can deal with situations that change from deal to deal with no set equation on success. While I was at ATI I saw several new employees that were just out of school that came in and really thought that they were going to conquer the world but that is not the case, this position takes time and patience to learn, it is only after a good solid year that you really understand what you are doing and working on. Even after several years and developing my own accounts I was constantly challenged with new issues and problems that I had never worked on or dealt with before in any employment. Looking back I regret that I did not have more patience and realization for the unique opportunity that I was being given, especially the opportunity to travel overseas for the company.

Stop hiring people straight out of school or ones that can’t seem to hold a job anywhere for more than 1 year at time (no matter how many languages they speak); it is hurting the sales dept to be constantly training and dealing with employees that don’t know what they are doing and that only use ATI as a stepping stone (because they don’t know better) and not interested in long-term careers at the company. Many of these employees bad mouth management behind your back and from what I witnessed it was just the immaturity and insecurity of these employees rather than any real issues. After leaving ATI for another job I realize from working in some really demanding and strenuous situations that these employees are just looking for excuses to complain and do not appreciate the amazing opportunity and company that they are working for.

"American Training International"

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator
    Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than a year

Pros

"Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." The colleagues you will meet are really incredible people, they certainly do a good job of tricking great people into working here. You will gain a shallow knowledge of International Trade, and learn everything you need to (or are allowed to) in a year, and then move on to much bigger and better things when the toxic environment created by management gets old.

Cons

Too many to list, see above brief.

It takes a special brand of crazy to write reviews pretending to be one of your former or current employees, Mr. President. At least you used an actual title this time, 'International Trade Manager"! ;)

Good Company

Former Employee - Export Logistics Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Export Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience at this company was very good, I was able to learn a lot about coordination and managing multiple tasks at once. I found it rewarding that as an entry level employee I was given the ability to work on an order from start to finish and not just one small part of a process like at other jobs I’ve had. I don’t have a problem being accountable for my work so this was a good for me.

Cons

This company is flexible on letting people have off for work so it was hard to sometimes reach a supervisor for approval on problems.

Don't be so forgiving to the sales department when they make the errors that logistics has to clean up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Limited growth within the company. Definitely a Big Brother atmosphere, very uncomfortable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in the field of international business and meeting people of various backgrounds.

Cons

Management is subpar and lack in productive communication with their staff.

Listen to staff suggestions without being so defensive.

International Trade Manager

Current Employee - International Trade Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - International Trade Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Trading International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If a positive corporate culture and environment are important to you, if you are passionate about the world around you and have always been searching for a career in something international this might be the perfect fit for you. People just looking for a JOB should not apply. The company employees are like the United Nations which is great for some people who truly get excited about different peoples and cultures, but not for everyone. Follow up and attention to detail are the key qualities for success (obviously something the other reviewers didn't have). Excellent opportunities for growth, but it's all what you make of it. The Company is not going to hand out pay increases and benefits to those that don't step-up to the plate and make it happen for themselves. The Company looks for long-term potential and longevity more than anything so for those of you that can't seem to stay at a job, company, or city, for more than a 1 year then this is definitely not for you.

Cons

The Company has grown significantly every year for the past 10 years which has clearly been a real challenge for the owners, management, and employees. They are still playing catch up to put more structure and procedure in place. Some would find this exciting and challenging and others that like to be extremely structured might not like it. Every year gets better as they settle into their new growth, but it take times. If you read reviews make sure you look at the year posted. Company has changed a lot in just a few years.

Finally there are more people in Management! Agree with others that there was a real need for more Management, but having been at the company for 5 years now, the wrong manager in place is far worse than a lack of management.

Terrible Management - A Company Not Interested in Growth

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at this small, young and rapidly moving company gives employees the chance to learn a large range of skills in a short period of time. However, these include heavy data entry, manual form filling, and tedious logistics work.

Cons

The management here is utterly horrible. Every move employees make is scrutinized and monitored. Of 30+ employees, there is only ONE email address! We all had to share the same account so that the owner of the company could monitor our activities. They claim this is so we can pitch in as a team to complete orders, but really this is just a means to nit pick over minuscule errors.

Create specialized departments that deal with certain manufacturers, countries, product categories, etc. This will make it much easier to learn in depth about a certain market and better serve the customers!

OKAY

I worked at American Trading International full-time

Pros

Co-workers are friendly, office has a nice view

Cons

NO BENEFITS!, no opportunity to advance, everything has to be approved by management, everything is very secretive.

Allow employees to take initiative on their own.

Very small company good for employees at the very beginning of their working careers...no room for growth otherwise.

I worked at American Trading International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for very submissive personalities.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for professional development or financial growth.

Very small....too small

I have been working at American Trading International full-time

Pros

You learn a lot about international business, how to deal with customers, the logistics side of it, and how to find good shipping rates.

Cons

The company is always very secretive, you get pointed out for making small mistakes, everybody reads your emails...it's a big brother!!

Motivate your employees better, use a reward system!

Worked for American Trading International? Contribute to the Community!