American Trading International

2.9
Seth Merrick Wilen

1. Export Logistics Coordinator

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Get to learn quickly about the ins and outs of the export logistics scope
    -Sales managers are very helpful
    -Attention to detail is key when dealing with P.O.s and Pro Formas
    -You have to be quick on your feet and display knowledge and a desire to learn about sales if you want to move forward into sales

Cons

High Turnover rate; which may result in employee discouragement.

Advice to Management

Improve culture and more team building skills to encourage more employee cohesiveness.

Big Brother

Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My time at the company was brief but it seemed to me all the employees were oppressed by Big Brother. Everyone looked over their shoulder and whispered so as to not be heard by management. Emails are read by management and it almost seems that they do not even like their employees to smile. You cannot have a good time working there.

Cons

Cons are many. Only work there while looking for other jobs if you can handle Big Brother watching your every move.

Advice to Management

Morale was very low when I got there and even lower when I left. If you make employees happy they will work more effectively.

International Trade Coordinator

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator

I worked at American Trading International (more than a year)

Pros

As a new employee you will learn a lot about international exports. Traveling is a big perk of being in sales. You get exposure and are delegated difficult tasks very quickly. The best peck of this entire company is the people. You will make amazing connections with the people who work here. First few months are a blur of good feelings then you realize they pulled a fast one on you. The second biggest Pro is leaving the company.

Cons

This company will make you think you are worthless. They motivate employee's by pinning them against their colleagues and comparing them to past employees. Good luck living up to them. If you are a man... good luck getting a second interview on the sales team. Within 2 years I saw over 25 people come and go if that doesn't tell you something then you must be an idiot. Big Brother on over drive.

Advice to Management

Treat your tenured employee's better than you treat your new hires. It is the people who have stayed with you for over three years that do more then all the new people combined.
    Improve your holiday schedule.
    Stop gossiping about your employee's looks, weight, teeth and personalities. They find out.
    Happy Hour... it goes a long way.
    Hire a real CEO that can push the company to the next level.

"American Training International"

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

"Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." The colleagues you will meet are really incredible people, they certainly do a good job of tricking great people into working here. You will gain a shallow knowledge of International Trade, and learn everything you need to (or are allowed to) in a year, and then move on to much bigger and better things when the toxic environment created by management gets old.

Cons

Too many to list, see above brief.

Advice to Management

It takes a special brand of crazy to write reviews pretending to be one of your former or current employees, Mr. President. At least you used an actual title this time, 'International Trade Manager"! ;)

Not So Bad After All

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work with major domestic manufacturers and International buyers in a short period of time, and I was able to learn how to negotiate and organize myself as a professional. Even though I did not have experience in this industry I came from a completely different background (but was still in sales) but was given the opportunity to learn International Business and Food and Beverage Industry. Given that I am currently looking for employment I look back on my experience at ATI and realize that I did not really appreciate the opportunities that I was given at the time or the willingness of the company to teach me how to maximize my potential while growing the sales for the company. There are some excellent opportunities at this company especially coming from someone who has had 2 jobs since – both that promised more but turned out to be much less.

Cons

Since I came from a sales background in a different industry I thought that I would be able to pick up and just start selling, however I quickly learned that International Sales is much different than domestic sales and even a traditional sales position that I have held at several other companies. It can be frustrating to someone that is used to producing immediate results or landing accounts quickly. International sales takes a lot of time and is not for everyone, especially not people that think they are “sales” people. This position required working on several leads over 6 months to over a year in order to come to a completed order. That being said working in the international arena is still very exciting and every day is different. Not everyone can handle that and not everyone can deal with situations that change from deal to deal with no set equation on success. While I was at ATI I saw several new employees that were just out of school that came in and really thought that they were going to conquer the world but that is not the case, this position takes time and patience to learn, it is only after a good solid year that you really understand what you are doing and working on. Even after several years and developing my own accounts I was constantly challenged with new issues and problems that I had never worked on or dealt with before in any employment. Looking back I regret that I did not have more patience and realization for the unique opportunity that I was being given, especially the opportunity to travel overseas for the company.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people straight out of school or ones that can’t seem to hold a job anywhere for more than 1 year at time (no matter how many languages they speak); it is hurting the sales dept to be constantly training and dealing with employees that don’t know what they are doing and that only use ATI as a stepping stone (because they don’t know better) and not interested in long-term careers at the company. Many of these employees bad mouth management behind your back and from what I witnessed it was just the immaturity and insecurity of these employees rather than any real issues. After leaving ATI for another job I realize from working in some really demanding and strenuous situations that these employees are just looking for excuses to complain and do not appreciate the amazing opportunity and company that they are working for.

Good Company

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience at this company was very good, I was able to learn a lot about coordination and managing multiple tasks at once. I found it rewarding that as an entry level employee I was given the ability to work on an order from start to finish and not just one small part of a process like at other jobs I’ve had. I don’t have a problem being accountable for my work so this was a good for me.

Cons

This company is flexible on letting people have off for work so it was hard to sometimes reach a supervisor for approval on problems.

Advice to Management

Don't be so forgiving to the sales department when they make the errors that logistics has to clean up.

8. Limited growth within the company. Definitely a Big Brother atmosphere, very uncomfortable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in the field of international business and meeting people of various backgrounds.

Cons

Management is subpar and lack in productive communication with their staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff suggestions without being so defensive.

International Trade Manager

Current Employee - International Trade Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - International Trade Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Trading International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If a positive corporate culture and environment are important to you, if you are passionate about the world around you and have always been searching for a career in something international this might be the perfect fit for you. People just looking for a JOB should not apply. The company employees are like the United Nations which is great for some people who truly get excited about different peoples and cultures, but not for everyone. Follow up and attention to detail are the key qualities for success (obviously something the other reviewers didn't have). Excellent opportunities for growth, but it's all what you make of it. The Company is not going to hand out pay increases and benefits to those that don't step-up to the plate and make it happen for themselves. The Company looks for long-term potential and longevity more than anything so for those of you that can't seem to stay at a job, company, or city, for more than a 1 year then this is definitely not for you.

Cons

The Company has grown significantly every year for the past 10 years which has clearly been a real challenge for the owners, management, and employees. They are still playing catch up to put more structure and procedure in place. Some would find this exciting and challenging and others that like to be extremely structured might not like it. Every year gets better as they settle into their new growth, but it take times. If you read reviews make sure you look at the year posted. Company has changed a lot in just a few years.

Advice to Management

Finally there are more people in Management! Agree with others that there was a real need for more Management, but having been at the company for 5 years now, the wrong manager in place is far worse than a lack of management.

10. Terrible Management - A Company Not Interested in Growth

I worked at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at this small, young and rapidly moving company gives employees the chance to learn a large range of skills in a short period of time. However, these include heavy data entry, manual form filling, and tedious logistics work.

Cons

The management here is utterly horrible. Every move employees make is scrutinized and monitored. Of 30+ employees, there is only ONE email address! We all had to share the same account so that the owner of the company could monitor our activities. They claim this is so we can pitch in as a team to complete orders, but really this is just a means to nit pick over minuscule errors.

Advice to Management

Create specialized departments that deal with certain manufacturers, countries, product categories, etc. This will make it much easier to learn in depth about a certain market and better serve the customers!

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - International Sales Manager
    Current Employee - International Sales Manager

I have been working at American Trading International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love my job! No two days are the same; you are constantly challenged every day. The people you work with are so genuine, very intelligent, and just all around great. It is an awesome work environment that I look forward to everyday I go into work. Your work is challenging and never monotonous. Rarely do I go through a day and think "is it 5pm yet?" Its more like "What!? It's 5?! I still have so much to do!" Time flies at ATI, and I have fun doing it.

Right now I would say our sales team is darn near perfect. Every single person has so much to contribute and I am proud to work along side of every single one of them. The customers are also great to work with, I love building the relationships and getting to work with them by email and over the phone. We are constantly calling other countries and you hear other languages on a regular basis. That is an environment I personally enjoy. You will even get a chance to meet customers face to face. What other company do you get to say you can travel the world to meet your customers without having 10-20 years of experience in the industry? It's a remarkable experience to treasure.

The office itself is really nice, we have a gorgeous panoramic view of the city so you don't feel like you are cooped up in a cubicle all day. There's also a park nearby that people like to take their lunches to and eat outside at. Location wise it's a great area.

The CEO is extremely intelligent/experienced and great to work with. He works more in sales but is supportive to the whole company. To everyone he is a never-ending source of knowledge of the industry and I have personally learned so much from working with him. The CEO also keeps things very light hearted around the office, he has a sense of humor but is also very focused and firm on improving and growing the company. I have not had any issues with working with him, on the contrary I truly enjoy working with him as he pushes and challenges me to be better everyday. I welcome a good challenge!

Another thing I absolutely love about the company is that the owners listen and there are so many growth opportunities with the company for anyone that wants to step up to the plate. It's nice to know there is a future with a company and I definitely feel that way about ATI.

I am proud to be a part of ATI and can't wait to see how much we change and improve in 2015 alone.

Cons

After working at ATI for some time and reading these reviews I realize they do not accurately portray the company that I work at every day, so I wanted to share some of my experiences and outlook to give a fresh perspective to some of the issues that the company has had in the past or still has. So here are some facts about the company:

The reality of it is: the company is growing fast, too fast. It is hard to keep up with the growth and there is still so much room for improvement in structure. No we are not where we should be, we are very behind where we should be however we are aware of this fact. This reality is what you make of it, for some it is bothersome and annoying (if this sounds like you, maybe you are more suited for an environment that is not experiencing such high growth).

For others, it is a challenge and an opportunity to make a difference within a company. It is a chance to create change and make the company a better/stronger place for everyone and it is a chance to shine and be heard. I speak from experience that when you come in with a positive attitude and want to help change and grow the company, your efforts will not go unnoticed.

Working at a small/midsize company is not like working at a giant corporation where suggestions are not heard or appreciated (I know because before ATI I only worked for large companies). On the contrary, the owners are very open to receiving constructive feedback on how to improve the company and make it better.

Proof:

Exhibit A: Our insurance didn't have any options. You got the one core plan and that was it.
    Solution: We changed our insurance provider to Aetna. We added 2 upgrades to HMO as well as 2 PPO options (core plan with the lowest out of pocket is always 100% covered by the company-having accessible health care fully paid for is very important to the owners), added a PPO dental option (HMO fully covered by the company), added vision insurance (fully covered by the company), added travel insurance (fully covered by the company), added optional life insurance as well as other side perks to the insurance such as wellness and gym discounts. By the end of the year we will have a 401k.

Exhibit B: There were way too many inefficiencies in the way we operated, we have outgrown our existing programs and it is too hard and too inefficient to do business the way we are currently doing it. It is a struggle to find certain documents, you are constantly cross-referencing several folders to get one bit of information, and there is too much room for human error (which can be nerve-wrecking as small mistakes can cost the company thousands of dollars).
    Solution: Implementing new SAP software, which is going to completely change and revolutionize the way we operate. It will make communication and operations much easier; the reporting alone will be amazing. It will literally change the company. ATI has invested well over $100,000 to implement this software.

Exhibit C: WE NEED MORE PEOPLE, we are understaffed but we don't have anywhere to put them
    Solution: We have expanded into the two new suites next to us so we will have two conference rooms, additional desk space, another kitchen area and more offices.
    Although we are understaffed in the sales department specifically, we have been much more hand selective when hiring candidates. We will go through 3 rounds of interviews without hiring someone. Even though we need people we will not hire just anyone anymore. It is not fair to our team who IS here and IS working hard to have team members who are negative or do not care about their work. Our current department is positive, hard working, smart and we only want to add people who will compliment the great team we are building.

The list can go on and on and on. Needless to say the company is changing and growing so much that what the company is now, what it will be in a few months is different than it was a year ago or even 6 months ago.

Are there more things that need to improve? Of course, the company is not perfect. There is a whole list of stuff we still need to improve. But at least the company is trying to continually improve and be better than yesterday. And that by itself is everything.