American Trading International

2.9
Seth Merrick Wilen

Great First Job

Former Employee - Export Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Like the title says, this is a great first job to have. Lots to learn about a dynamic, global business.

Cons

Where to start, this is a small company and you can tell by their approach to their staff. Very micro-managed to the point of being counterproductive. There are clearly people who are preferred by management over others despite lesser experience, education, or aptitude. The overall mood in the office was never happy - more secretive and spiteful. ALL emails are read and shared. If this is your first job it will do - but if you've ever run a department, owned your own business, or are an independent thinking kind of person - odds are you will not feel comfortable here. I personally NEVER want to work for a company where I would need to work for 4,5,6 years to feel like an integral part of a company.

Advice to Management

I would suggest giving your employees the respect and dignity of handling their own workload without having to answer to the entire chain of command for one email. Oh, and stop bcc'ing. It's sneaky, and if I were a customer I would not want to find out that there are people in on my conversations that I don't know about.

2. Negative work environment

Pros

Great opportunities to travel internationally. Nice office and location. Some very intelligent coworkers. Opportunity to get international sales experience and work with people from multiple countries.

Cons

Unprofessional management. High turnover. Management often critiques employee's appearance. Management will berate employees in front of one another and talk trash behind employee's backs.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you'd want to be treated.

Great Team, Exciting Company

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Trading International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been an employee at ATI for 8 years and feel very proud and privileged to be working at such a diverse and dynamic international enterprise. The opportunities, challenges, and rewards have been very exciting and immensely satisfying. I have an education rooted in the field of international business and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get to apply what I have been passionate about from the start. I have had the opportunity to work in all departments (sales and logistics) and am grateful to have gone from Coordinator to Manager to Director. The company enjoys an excellent reputation in their industry, is very well established, and has won several awards and accolades for it’s achievements. Pro’s: • Interact with people from all over the world (both in the office and all of our overseas customers) • Opportunities to use your foreign language (more than 20 spoke in the office already!) and culture (company is very culturally sensitive and takes pride in respecting different cultures) • Travel (company does business in over 80 markets) • Respectful – to customers, suppliers, and employees that work here • Talented People who’s ideas and solutions are listened to, respected, and often implemented • Productive & Comfortable Office Environment (now even more with a $150+ K office expansion) and the only company I am aware of that utilizes SAP in the industry • Excellent Opportunities for Growth (not only for the individual, but for the company at large) • Limitless Boundaries / Long-Term Potential • Freedom to explore and create your own path, direction, and opportunities • High Expectations • The President / CEO is an excellent role model and extremely accomplished for his age. Compared to other CEO’s I have known he is very considerate, kind, and passionate about what he does, the company, and everyone who works for him (especially management). I consider him a mentor and a friend. • Excellent reputation in the industry (both domestic suppliers, and overseas customers). All of our competitors always want to be us!

Cons

• Because the company has grown so much so fast in the past 10+ yr it still feels like there is a lot of catching up to do in terms of procedure, policy, training, and management; however the company has always been very open to change and flexible when it comes to adding new policies, procedures, and management and I am proof of that. • Too young. Even though the company has been around for 20+ years they have made mistakes hiring too many people at once that were too young and too inexperienced (both in the workplace and in life) which has led to higher turn-over in that group. This goes hand-in-hand with maturity. This fortunately is changing, but has been an unwanted distraction when so many are focused on growing and taking things to the next level. • Something that the company has not been addressing properly are inaccurate posts on Glassdoor. This company is obviously not for everyone. We only want employees who love their work, responsibilities, and what they do and are truly “international” and “like-minded” individuals. The company has an excellent reputation and image in the industry with suppliers and customers alike. This is something we are most proud of and has taken more than 20 years to achieve.

Advice to Management

We have accomplished and achieved so much in such a relatively short period of time. I applaud not only our management team, but all the 4, 5, and 6+ year employees that have been the backbone of the organization and our success. Keep up the good work! Lots of more exciting times to come!

Export Logistics Coordinator

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to learn quickly about the ins and outs of the export logistics scope -Sales managers are very helpful -Attention to detail is key when dealing with P.O.s and Pro Formas -You have to be quick on your feet and display knowledge and a desire to learn about sales if you want to move forward into sales

Cons

High Turnover rate; which may result in employee discouragement.

Advice to Management

Improve culture and more team building skills to encourage more employee cohesiveness.

Big Brother

Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Logistics Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at the company was brief but it seemed to me all the employees were oppressed by Big Brother. Everyone looked over their shoulder and whispered so as to not be heard by management. Emails are read by management and it almost seems that they do not even like their employees to smile. You cannot have a good time working there.

Cons

Cons are many. Only work there while looking for other jobs if you can handle Big Brother watching your every move.

Advice to Management

Morale was very low when I got there and even lower when I left. If you make employees happy they will work more effectively.

International Trade Coordinator

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator

I worked at American Trading International (More than a year)

Pros

As a new employee you will learn a lot about international exports. Traveling is a big perk of being in sales. You get exposure and are delegated difficult tasks very quickly. The best peck of this entire company is the people. You will make amazing connections with the people who work here. First few months are a blur of good feelings then you realize they pulled a fast one on you. The second biggest Pro is leaving the company.

Cons

This company will make you think you are worthless. They motivate employee's by pinning them against their colleagues and comparing them to past employees. Good luck living up to them. If you are a man... good luck getting a second interview on the sales team. Within 2 years I saw over 25 people come and go if that doesn't tell you something then you must be an idiot. Big Brother on over drive.

Advice to Management

Treat your tenured employee's better than you treat your new hires. It is the people who have stayed with you for over three years that do more then all the new people combined. Improve your holiday schedule. Stop gossiping about your employee's looks, weight, teeth and personalities. They find out. Happy Hour... it goes a long way. Hire a real CEO that can push the company to the next level.

"American Training International"

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." The colleagues you will meet are really incredible people, they certainly do a good job of tricking great people into working here. You will gain a shallow knowledge of International Trade, and learn everything you need to (or are allowed to) in a year, and then move on to much bigger and better things when the toxic environment created by management gets old.

Cons

Too many to list, see above brief.

Advice to Management

It takes a special brand of crazy to write reviews pretending to be one of your former or current employees, Mr. President. At least you used an actual title this time, 'International Trade Manager"! ;)

Not So Bad After All

Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - International Trade Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work with major domestic manufacturers and International buyers in a short period of time, and I was able to learn how to negotiate and organize myself as a professional. Even though I did not have experience in this industry I came from a completely different background (but was still in sales) but was given the opportunity to learn International Business and Food and Beverage Industry. Given that I am currently looking for employment I look back on my experience at ATI and realize that I did not really appreciate the opportunities that I was given at the time or the willingness of the company to teach me how to maximize my potential while growing the sales for the company. There are some excellent opportunities at this company especially coming from someone who has had 2 jobs since – both that promised more but turned out to be much less.

Cons

Since I came from a sales background in a different industry I thought that I would be able to pick up and just start selling, however I quickly learned that International Sales is much different than domestic sales and even a traditional sales position that I have held at several other companies. It can be frustrating to someone that is used to producing immediate results or landing accounts quickly. International sales takes a lot of time and is not for everyone, especially not people that think they are “sales” people. This position required working on several leads over 6 months to over a year in order to come to a completed order. That being said working in the international arena is still very exciting and every day is different. Not everyone can handle that and not everyone can deal with situations that change from deal to deal with no set equation on success. While I was at ATI I saw several new employees that were just out of school that came in and really thought that they were going to conquer the world but that is not the case, this position takes time and patience to learn, it is only after a good solid year that you really understand what you are doing and working on. Even after several years and developing my own accounts I was constantly challenged with new issues and problems that I had never worked on or dealt with before in any employment. Looking back I regret that I did not have more patience and realization for the unique opportunity that I was being given, especially the opportunity to travel overseas for the company.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people straight out of school or ones that can’t seem to hold a job anywhere for more than 1 year at time (no matter how many languages they speak); it is hurting the sales dept to be constantly training and dealing with employees that don’t know what they are doing and that only use ATI as a stepping stone (because they don’t know better) and not interested in long-term careers at the company. Many of these employees bad mouth management behind your back and from what I witnessed it was just the immaturity and insecurity of these employees rather than any real issues. After leaving ATI for another job I realize from working in some really demanding and strenuous situations that these employees are just looking for excuses to complain and do not appreciate the amazing opportunity and company that they are working for.

Good Company

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at this company was very good, I was able to learn a lot about coordination and managing multiple tasks at once. I found it rewarding that as an entry level employee I was given the ability to work on an order from start to finish and not just one small part of a process like at other jobs I’ve had. I don’t have a problem being accountable for my work so this was a good for me.

Cons

This company is flexible on letting people have off for work so it was hard to sometimes reach a supervisor for approval on problems.

Advice to Management

Don't be so forgiving to the sales department when they make the errors that logistics has to clean up.

11. Limited growth within the company. Definitely a Big Brother atmosphere, very uncomfortable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Trading International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the field of international business and meeting people of various backgrounds.

Cons

Management is subpar and lack in productive communication with their staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff suggestions without being so defensive.

RSS Feed </> Embed