American Traffic Solutions

2.8

American Traffic Solutions President James Tuton
James Tuton

Fleet Services

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Over the years within Fleet Services there has been concern of senior leadership not providing the opportunity for the technology staff to address issues with the underlying technology of their services. This has changed within the past year. Senior leadership, management, and the development staff appear to be turning the corner to a common goal of hardening the applications and ensuring the right people are on the bus and driving to a common goal. The company provides decent benefits, respects work/life balance more than previous companies I have worked for, and provides a fun work environment within the software development staff.

Cons

There is still work to be done in addressing technical concerns about the current product line. The development staff must continue to remind the business why technical debt must be addressed in order to expand their customer base while respecting the need of the business to expand current product features. At the same time, the business staff needs to stay out of the day to day activities of the development staff and let them design and implement strong solutions that take time to deliver.

it does not get better with time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good pay and matching 401(k), covered parking, lots of health related seminars, free flu shots, doesn't seem you need education or experience so maybe good place to start

Cons

Lots of people uneducated and/or have only worked here so there is no broad business view. Many workers are unprofessional, rude, selfish, and will backstab to get ahead. Micromanagement is everywhere. Priorities change every day. More criticism and not constructive criticism than pats on back and help. Common justification for decisions is we have always done it this way and our competition does it this way.

stop bragging about corporate values and actually make people live them starting with accountability and respect. admit you cannot continue to run company the way you have always run it if you want to make it into the big leagues

Take a pass on this company

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

Interesting solution that governments want and need. Solution works well.

Cons

Poorly managed by senior leadership, SVP and above. Micromanagement mentality.

The poor management of good people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of bright and friendly people working for the IT department and in other departments. High growth company in a fast paced Agile environment.

Cons

Poor management at the top resulted in a revolving door for middle management positions. Bad decisions in development priority resulting in an ever increasing tech debt. Agile environment without actual team empowerment due to micro-management from the top.

Better management of new growth vs. improving existing systems to be able to support new business.

Very good company

Current Employee - Field Service
    Current Employee - Field Service

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel and able to keep and use all loyalty rewards for personal use.

Cons

Communications and often micro management.

Look at overall performance of people not just snapshots.

If you are reading this as a potential employee of this company, look elsewhere.

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation can be good for most and benefits for those in the first year are good. Unfortunately, that's really it.

Cons

Normally, I would not write a review as I believe we all have different experiences and perspectives at an employer and would hate to mislead someone. Some places are a good fit for some, while bad for others. However, after a year of working at ATS it didn’t seem to be the right fit for anyone. Enough people shared the same stories, perspectives, feelings, and attitudes towards the company, leadership, and culture that I decided I should convey some of that to those who may be looking for employment there.

The Company: stagnant, no road map for future growth, no value proposition to differentiate from competitors. Don’t be fooled, it really is all about money.

Leadership/People: inexperienced, immature, unprofessional, lack self-awareness
    The company has outgrown the owners/leadership and there aren’t many, if any, people there with significant, relevant experience. They want to keep doing it the “ATS way” because they had some early success in a new industry which benefited from a down economy and are now unwilling to change. They will talk about how they want to make improvements and innovate, but when people with the experience are present and willing to do so they are ignored, required to assimilate, or forced out. There is no one currently in place to lead the company to the next level. I worked with many of the managers and leaders in the company and can’t say I respected more than a few of them.

And don’t plan on learning anything from anyone. No one is there to teach or develop people. Expectations are not communicated, you are there to work the second you get in the door with no learning curve cushion given.

Culture: immature, unprofessional, gossipy, unhealthy, lacks accountability
    There is nothing positive about the culture or the majority of the people there. I’ve never seen so many people negatively affected by a work culture like I did there. It truly affected employees outside the workplace. It is that bad and the main reason for high level of turnover. It was common for people to leave within 5 months.

The company gave salary increases and bonuses even though there was a plan to lay off a large part of the workforce due to poor performance. Good, responsible management would freeze salaries and bonuses to save jobs instead of paying more to the ones responsible for the issues as the need for reductions was caused by a trend of poor leadership decisions and a true lack of connection with current customers and the market environment.

Because everything flows from the top it really comes down to having an inexperienced and immature leadership team that lacks relevant experience, self-awareness and simply just doesn’t get it.

Find somewhere else to work, or do a lot of research and ask a lot of tough questions before committing to this company, because it will not commit to you.

Fleet Services - Challenging But Worth It

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Significant market growth opportunity. Career growth opportunity for hard workers. Interesting and relevant industry. Good benefits for smaller company. Leadership recognizes importance of employees’ family lives – flexible hours available if your position allows for it.

Cons

Challenging environment is not for everyone – need ability to handle strong, sometimes brutally honest personalities. Very fast-paced, high-pressure, results-driven culture, which some employees might not enjoy.

Great place to work, if you like a frenzies pace

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management takes interest in employee welfare, cares what associates think about the company and they try to always improve. They pay standard rates, they don't try to get off cheap, but they don't shower you in cash. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Cons

Can be hectic and disorganized, the result of too much success.

Keep doing what you're doing. Please don't get to bureaucratic.

My experience working for ATS was pleasant.

Current Employee - Violation Processor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Violation Processor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with

Cons

Not enough challenge as a violation processor

Overall positive experience at this company. Lot's of great people, hard working, energetic and positive.

Former Employee - Human Resource Gen in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resource Gen in Tempe, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people in general are great. Good values and ethics. Decent environment for a mid-sized company.

Cons

Pay, benefits are in the lower quadrant. Growth is stagnant. Turn-over as a result of performance is high. Professional development depends on manager - very inconsistent.

Continue to focus on growth strategies and I am hoping you turn the corner soon.