American Traffic Solutions

2.8

American Traffic Solutions President James Tuton
James Tuton

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The poor management of good people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of bright and friendly people working for the IT department and in other departments. High growth company in a fast paced Agile environment.

Cons

Poor management at the top resulted in a revolving door for middle management positions. Bad decisions in development priority resulting in an ever increasing tech debt. Agile environment without actual team empowerment due to micro-management from the top.

Better management of new growth vs. improving existing systems to be able to support new business.

Fleet Services - Challenging But Worth It

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Significant market growth opportunity. Career growth opportunity for hard workers. Interesting and relevant industry. Good benefits for smaller company. Leadership recognizes importance of employees’ family lives – flexible hours available if your position allows for it.

Cons

Challenging environment is not for everyone – need ability to handle strong, sometimes brutally honest personalities. Very fast-paced, high-pressure, results-driven culture, which some employees might not enjoy.

Great place to work, if you like a frenzies pace

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Management takes interest in employee welfare, cares what associates think about the company and they try to always improve. They pay standard rates, they don't try to get off cheap, but they don't shower you in cash. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Cons

Can be hectic and disorganized, the result of too much success.

Keep doing what you're doing. Please don't get to bureaucratic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed the people I worked with, but I felt management lack people skills and knowledge.

Former Employee - Data Entry I  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Data Entry I in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you encounter there are awesome. A great place to work.

Cons

Their attendance policies are too strick and need to be more individualized.

Some policies need to be view on a case by case and not general.

Would never work there again

Former Employee - Software Development Supervisor/Architect  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Development Supervisor/Architect in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money was really the only benefit.

Cons

The company grew way too fast and management had a real hard time keeping up. Cronyism abounds. People weren't hired for quality only for who they knew. No one clear direction (too many chefs in the kitchen).

Treat your employees like you would like to be treated.

ATS Confusion

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

ATS paid well. That was the only good thing about working there.

Cons

The company is led by 2 brothers with diverging strategies and a grossly overblown sense of urgency. The urgency translates into tremendous resource shifts including people. There have been many cases of upper managers hired at great cost only to be fired in a matter of months. All this while the technical platform is shaky, at best.

Find a direction then, stick with it. The red light camera is a great service when delivered properly; make that the best business you can before moving on to other products and services. You're flitting into lots of areas you aren't ready for and are unable to stand in. You also need to unload 1 brother and your outdated technology; running a business the size of ATS on an Access database... Really?

Extremely unprofessional work environment

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

ATS as a company is great; on the cutting edge of traffic safety solutions
    Owners are extremely savvy, and actually sincerely care about the future of the business
    ATS has attempted successful team building in a few areas (like Operations), but fail miserably in the technical area

Cons

Shorts, flip flops and jeans are a standard dress code.
    It is not uncommon for a business meeting to be peppered with vulgar language and obsenities. In short, ATS lacks professionalism that most people are used to in a business environment.

The management within IT and Operations is very immature (not to mention arrogant).
    Many of the Directors have never been managers before, let alone are able to "lead" effectively in a Senior position. But they micro manage very effectively
    Employees are not promoted, they must apply for jobs off the job board like anyone else off the street

Grow up. "Smart" people do not always make great "leaders." Be the professional company you want to see in the future.

It's all about the numbers.

Former Employee - Safety Customer Service  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Safety Customer Service in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

Centrally located in newer building on transit routes. Vending machines available. Breakroom with refrigerators, microwave and large sink. Adequate restrooms. Overtime is offered when available.

Cons

Parking can be an issue. Air conditioning is zonal. Work force management implemented in April 2010. Philosphy of customer service is based on average handle time not results. Empoyee cliques can be oppressive.

Make problem resolution/closure rate a criteria in assessment.

ATS former employee

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

The company is growing very quickly and there are promotional opportunities, although your promotions are never offered, you have to apply for them.

Cons

None of the processes used by ATS are clearly defined or documented. Employees are always in a state of "winging it" and hoping for the best.

I have to advice for leadership. They are doing the jobs that were given to them and they are benefiting the company.

Good company on the whole.

I have been working at American Traffic Solutions

Pros

Company is located in North Scottsdale. I work with a fabulous group of people. We have a great product that serves society in keeping it safe. Company is growing at a fast pace which is unusual in these times. I believe the company is stable.

Cons

It a small company that has not caught up with it's growth. Example is some professional personnel under a certain salary only get a week's paid vacay. Also I believe the vacation policy is 3 weeks after 10 years! Salaries are all over the board.

Vacation for salaried people is pretty much a free deal. Our timeoff policy is not competitive at all. Benefits and salaries should be competitve with other companies in the area. They are not (at least in my case) Other than that you guys are doing a great job!!!

Worked for American Traffic Solutions? Contribute to the Community!