American Transport Group

3.3

Harold Gross

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Transport Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

After almost a year at ATG I feel lucky to be working here. I find myself among people who are welcoming, easygoing, and positive. The sales floor is great - very open, no cubicles. The benefits at ATG are great as well, including the usual health and financial benefits as well as additional perks, such as tickets to Cubs and Bulls games, happy hours, and more. The two owners are very dedicated to their company, sit on the sales floor mixed right in with their employees, and get to know every single employee personally.

Cons

Taking a full hour for lunch is frowned upon.

A one year job.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Transport Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, hours, clothing attire is casual, work environment,

Cons

Poor opportunity, poor communications between employees (several times it becomes hostile), management doesn't care if there are issues, every man for themselves type environment. 2% chance you make commission. Training lasts 2-3 days then your own your own for cold calling.

Hire someone who has actually has a management degree and knows how to manage and treat employees.

ATG is going downhill

I worked at American Transport Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The casual dress code is always a plus, and the floor plan is open. Some employees are fun and most are young. It was a decent company 2 years ago but keeps getting worse.

Cons

Poor management decisions made by CEOs, hostile work environment on the sales floor, market very saturated with poor training - difficult to build customer/carrier base, very difficult to earn commission.

Revamp training tactics or the new employees will not be beneficial to you.

An OK place to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Transport Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health Benfits, young employees, hire a lot of recent graduates, 7-4 schedule 5 days a week, OK pay.

Cons

Inside sales job- cold calling all day long. Can get extremely tedious/mind numbing. Only 20% of company actually makes commission- very hard to actually accomplish unless you have been there since start up. Virtually no room for career advancement. This is a small business (owned by Harold and John who sit on the floor, around 100 employees) which means many times group managers are very disrespectful to employees with no repercussions ex- calling employees dumb, idiots, unecessary taunts in front of peers, that would not be tolerated in a bigger corporation because it would be reported to HR.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Transport Group

Pros

ATG is a professional, well respected industry leader where individuals are given the tools and environment to excel both personally and professionally. The smarter and harder you work, the more money you will make. ATG rewards leaders and hard work with more responsibility and compensation. The office is an open concept green loft-style building. While most employees and managers wear casual clothing, the environment is very professional.

Cons

Having a minimal amount of management and oversight is not for everyone. I personally excel when I'm provided the independence to do my job to the best of my abilities, especially when I have more experienced people around me to help when needed. But I have seen others flounder when given this much independence. I guess everyone is not a leader.

None

ATG

I have been working at American Transport Group

Pros

ATG is a great place to work for young professionals. The majority of our staff are hired as recent college graduates and participate in a comprehensive training program to learn the industry. This is a great job for someone who is interested in sales and likes a fun fast paced work environment. ATG also has a very casual work enviroment and dress code.

Cons

The transportation industry can sometimes be challenging to break into especially for new employees. Our staff spends the majority of their time on the phone, which is not for everyone.

As ATG continues to grow we need to add more structure to our management as well as our employee reviews process.

American Transport Group Photos