American Type Culture Collection Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.7
Raymond H Cypess

Management does not appreciate employees

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time

Pros

sick leave, health insurance, great co-workers, lower management's willingness to work with you when you have personal issues at home to attend to

Cons

mandatory overtime, too cheap to hire enough people for all departments, management does not concern themselves with your opinion to help make improvements, lack of advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

If you want to improve your company take advice from the employees that work directly with the customers. Take time to learn what they actually do and not what you think they do. Do not make changes without first asking the employees what the pros and cons of those changes will be (how it will affect productivity customer service, etc)

Low Pay, Lack of Respect

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time

Pros

Benefits-- 403B, and company match is good.

Cons

Low pay- not up to industry standard, no matter what HR says.
    Lack of respect by management and HR- they act as if you should just be grateful to work there, and shut up.
    Culture of Fear -- Dr. Cypess has management looking over their shoulder, and looking for the next scapegoat in order to save themselves.

Keep your head down and your opinions to yourself

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technicians and repository employees are great and fun people to work with. Benefit package is actually pretty good and they have a fitness room.

Cons

Salaries are NOT appropriate for Northern Virginia, reviews are non-negotiable (whatever manager says is taken at face value) and based on a forced bell curve, your prior experience is not valued, and managers are always looking for the next scape-goat. Senior management gets rotated every 6 months or so and nepotism runs pretty rampant in the admin wing. If you get in as admin you're golden, if you're a biologist plan to stay there and be abused. There is NO promotional structure and no set timeline or guidance for advancement. HR department is worthless.

Advice to Management

Walk through the admin wing and curb your cube surfers and others that shop online all day . Offer management classes to your inept supervisors. Look into why you have SO much technician turn over and try to fix it. Hire repository staff. Get rid of six sigma.

5. A good experience with positive people most of the time.

Current Employee - Not Provided in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Not Provided in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Generous vacation and sick leave, convenient location, plenty of parking and great people to work with. Flexibility on snow days. Multiple company events.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. Possibly of flextime or working from home not offered.

Advice to Management

more positive comments and individual recognition with monetary rewards.

No upward mobility

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection

Pros

Amicable environment with knowledgeable coworkers. This company has more potential than what it is currently displaying.

Cons

Severely underpaid for northern Virginia area. Management is clever to compare our average salaries to Richmond,va salaries.

Advice to Management

Please attempt recognize talent. Please value continuing education. A company is valuable only if the employees are.

QA Specialist

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, 403(b) performs well, and there is some flexibility on hours. I have made some strong professional relationships at ATCC.

Cons

Training is limited, upward mobility doesn't exist, and direction of the company is unclear. Lots of lingering promises leave staff skeptical and uncertain of the future. Pay is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Communicate openly with your staff.

If I knew what I know now.....

Current Employee - Customer Service in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

location, work week, parking, sick leave

Cons

management and HR, evaluation, mandatory OT

Advice to Management

I will not waste my time

I was here for almost 1.5 years, and overall it was a pleasant experience. I learned a lot about working in labs.

Former Employee - Associate Biologist in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Biologist in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Type Culture Collection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worldwide reputation in the field of medical, biology, chemistry etc laboratories for providing quality samples and supplies. If you work in this field, then this would be a great thing to have on your resume because of the name. Also interesting brown bag seminars (though we didn't have these very often when I was there)

Cons

Not a lot of promotion potential. Work we did in my department was very routine and can get boring

Great People; Greatly Disappointing Senior Management Team

I worked at American Type Culture Collection full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Definitely the people - friendly, intelligent, loyal and diverse.
    - Location in Northern VA.
    - Vessel for obtaining experience and knowledge.
    - Annual company social events to get employees together - ice cream socials, health fair, holiday party, and others throughout the year.
    - Benefits: Health Insurance options, retirement, vacation and sick leave.

Cons

- SENIOR MANAGEMENT: most are only worried about impressing the CEO, without any regard to the employees' interest; most are "Yes" men/women, only focused on popularity within their "Management" group - nobody has the strength/courage to say "no," even if/when he or she disagrees with the majority or knows that the newest idea is NOT a good one.
    NO OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE: Can only get promoted if there is a "business need," which is code for "if you're really liked by Senior Management" or "If we lose someone in the group." Supposed to have Promotion Cycles a couple of times a year, but something always comes up to postpone/cancel the process.
    PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS: managers impose significant performance goals on employees, expect them to exceed expectation, but are not allowed to give more than an "Average" score.
    SALARY: grossly paid under the average for the area, unless you're referred by a member of Senior Management - then your salary is grossly over the average for the area.
    CHANGED WORK WEEK HOURS FROM 37.5-40: Once upon a time, the 37.5 work-week was a Pro, now they expect you to work 40 hours with no salary change.
    COMMUNICATION: The only communication that exists is that of the rumor-mill. Employees are consistently in the dark.

Advice to Management

It's time to look out for the employees, and stop taking advantage of their loyalty. Invest in them.

11. good

I have been working at American Type Culture Collection

Pros

not a stressful work environment

Cons

needs to add more employees to the work force

RSS Feed </> Embed