American University of Afghanistan

C. Michael Smith

Working with People

Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at American University of Afghanistan full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly and open minded enviroment

ConsIt can get repetitive and the work might get boring if you are not an indoor person

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Opportunity of a lifetime -OR- Career Killer. Depends on you.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at American University of Afghanistan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome talented people.
Some brilliant teachers who are dedicated above and beyond to their students and to a better world.
Many wonderful networking opportunities with other organizations in Kabul.
Great location from which to travel and see the world (Dubai is only a 2.5 hour flight away).
Some students are truly inspiring.
Housing is decent.
Security is okay... it is better to live outside the guest house in a private residence, though that can be expensive.
You will make life-long friends.

ConsThere are mostly two kinds of people who work at AUAF: Visionaries using the job to create something extraordinary in their lives, and has-beens who do little and teach outdated concepts while picking up a paycheck in their retirement years. The former tend to deal better with the problems of living in Afghanistan, the latter tend to whine and moan and yet do nothing to change the situation.

The administration is worse than in most universities. The egos are huge. Worse, they are disconnected from the reality of their students, ignore internal corruption, and refuse to listen to the teachers and students.

A good example of AUAF administration in a nutshell is the 2013 Graduation ceremony. It was held outside, but there were massive storms, yet the administration did not have a Plan B, nor wanted to create one. Instead. The ceremony was continually postponed several times and when it happened several hours later, all of the tents, the stage, decorations, and seating were destroyed by the storm. Some parents were also drenched in water or had gotten trapped under a collapsed tend. So a 1-hour graduation became a 5-hour disaster.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf every member of the administration was required to actually teach a class each semester, they would understand the reality of teaching in Afghanistan and the needs of the students.

It was a vastly disappointing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American University of Afghanistan

Prosit was an interesting experience

ConsLack of respect by senior leadership, misleading information provided to me before being hired, lack of concern for safety of employees, not sustainable

It is the best place in the whole country.

Student (Current Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

ProsDiverse community, lovely environment, green place, great people, academically motivated place, International campus, Great place to find good ideas

ConsToo small, not good food, crowded,

Advice to Senior ManagementDr. Smith, is one of the best presidents at this university. He is great and the management team at this university is one of the top in Afghanistan.

Good experience, every one do his own work.

IT Technician (Current Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at American University of Afghanistan full-time for less than a year

ProsDue to Educational environment, there is a chance to employee, to obtain higher education.

ConsDue to Multi national environment you have to chance to work with different people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention towards employee's requirement.

Poor Leadership, Poor Planning, and Not Sustainable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American University of Afghanistan

ProsSome faculty and administrators are competent and truly care.

ConsJust too many to mention.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let new talent assume leadership.

AUAF's mission is needed a lot & students are grateful. However, management gets in the way.

Mid-management (Former Employee)

I worked at American University of Afghanistan

ProsFeel needed and appreciated by students. Campus is an oasis in Kabul. An adventure.

ConsManagement decisions seemed senseless particularly spending decisions. As a rule, men are paid more than women even when the women have had more education and experience. Communications are poor. Living arrangements can be trying.

Worked for American University of Afghanistan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American University of Afghanistan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American University of Afghanistan CEO C. Michael Smith. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by American University of Afghanistan employees.