American University of Sharjah

3.4

CEO

Top University

I have been working at American University of Sharjah

Pros

Good education and competitive atmosphere

Cons

None that I can think of

former student

I have been working at American University of Sharjah

Pros

Better than other unis in the MENA

Cons

Far from the center of the city

Started promising, but going downhill, go there if you want to sell your soul!

Current Employee - Professor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Professor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at American University of Sharjah full-time

Pros

Good looking architecture, not much work.

Cons

-Salary: the salary maybe attractive but once you are here you realize that it is not worth it. You don't have any social security and can be kicked out anytime. You don't have any retirement plan, and offering one month salary does not make up for it. If it happens you are out of the job, the opportunity cost is huge.

-Society: it feels you are contributing to an unjust system that treats 87% of its residents badly. Discrimination is everywhere in UAE, and it is hard to ignore. Being an academic is about making a positive impact in society and at AUS you will feel that you are hostile to money and cannot speak up.

-The campus is out of Sharjah as well as Dubai. It is a compound far from both. Although the campus is nice, it feels more like a prison quickly. The student body is small, and as a faculty you cannot mingle with just anybody. Social life is miserable. You can never speak out freely in public, because if you say something they don't approve of, the next thing you know; you are out of job and the country and it HAPPENED to another professor in UAE.

-Students are mostly spoiled rich kids from the region who have no real desire to learn.

In summary, stay out, do not sell your soul for money. I wish I knew better, but I am trying to get out while I can.

Enhanced my skills

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at American University of Sharjah full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team-work environment and skills

Cons

Demotivating faculties and unflexible environment

Excellent work environment for a newbie marred by a major lack of competence in the upper management

I worked at American University of Sharjah as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

AUS has an excellent benefits and pay package. Also, the training opportunities offered are fantastic, in addition to the fun and somewhat-informal, pseudo-American workplace environment. The best part? They hire a LOT of their alumni.

Cons

A major inability towards talent-retention, compounded by incompetent upper administrative management whose myopic vision and self-serving interests completely mar an otherwise fantastic workplace. In addition, unclear job descriptions and poor overtime compensation add to the problems. There is a general lack of professionalism when dealing with most folks who're in a non-technical role.

Endemic nepotism is likely the reason. However, I was fortunate enough to work with a department where competence was mostly given importance over playing favorites.

Most of the upper management (read: vice-chancellors) needs a refresh. It's time to bring in new blood to turn things around and inject professionalism into the workplace.

Most incredible 4 years I spent. I learned a lot and made new friends and became more mature

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at American University of Sharjah as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good education and services
    Library is perfect
    Dorms are comfortable and suitable to live in
    Diversity of cultures to make excellent friends
    Lots of volunteer work

Cons

Very expensive and money breaker
    Women are preferred over men
    Lazy Secretaries
    Few educational workshops

Working at AUS is good!

Former Employee - Advisor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Advisor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at American University of Sharjah part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, working here is on the up and up. There is always something to do. It's never a dull day.

Cons

Sometimes the work can get challenging when dealing with student that are unsatisfied.

I was a Student

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at American University of Sharjah full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with quality education

Cons

time management is very hard in there

Great Place to Work but little chance of getting a full time position

Former Employee - Instructor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at American University of Sharjah as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Staff , Administrators and students were very nice to work with. I worked at three universities while I lived in the Middle East and this one was by far the best quality and best working environment. The students were also much better prepared and motivated than what is typical of Gulf universities. Unlike many of the government financed universities AUS seemed to produce high quality degrees with very little government assistance or funding. In fact they were receiving less and less financial incentives which was starting to become a burden. I think this should be rethought by the leaders of the UAE as the quality of education at AUS was so much better than what is provided by numerous other institutions in the region who depend heavily on government funding.

Cons

The university has been on a hiring freeze and has a lot of monetary issues so the possibility of getting a good paying position is low. They tend to hire adjuncts which means they do not have good employee retention as the cost of living and the cost of providing your own sponsorship makes it impossible for good or well qualified people to stay there for years waiting for a job that pays the proper package. This is unfortunate because over the years they have rewarded adjunct instructors who have stayed on for years with full time employment but most of these did so because they were unqualified to work elsewhere and because they had a spouse or partner footing the bills until they were hired. So now little by little the faculty has become less qualified and the lowest qualified have moved to the top which is a shame. In one case I experienced a position opened up and I personally knew of 5 very qualified both educationally and experience who applied. None including myself received notice or any action on their applications. Perhaps a year later by accident I was speaking to the senior person who made the ultimate hiring position and was asked why I had not applied for full time previously! He was complaining about the lack of applications. Obviously the administrative person under him or under the person receiving the initial applications simply did not pass them on! Amazing! During my time there I heard similar things happen frequently. Thus the quick turnover of senior staff and the long retention of junior staff who slowly assume a lot of power and responsibility has become a pressing issue that needs to be addressed.

During my employment I saw some really good instructors leave and staff leave because they were hired as adjuncts and although some would wait a year few highly qualified people can wait more than a year working at a low salary in hopes of applying for full time work in the future. This is a shame. On the other hand those that have held on to adjunct positions usually have done so out of desperation they are not eligible to work elsewhere. However after a time they are rewarded with full time positions they are not qualified to hold. That is also a shame because while it is understandable that AUS would wish to reward loyalty it should also keep its high standards. This is also evident in the quick turnaround of administration. Most hired from overseas are very good but they are there often for such a short time they are not really productive. They also appear to be heavily reliant on assistants and secretaries which should not be given the power to recommend or influence the retention , of students or faculty but often are. In other words some of the highest qualified people are relying on former students and or junior staff for major decisions because they are new and trust these people. The problem with giving power to people that are often hoping to immigrate to the UAE or to the US through the job is that they often also recommend family and friends for positions. So essentially despite a heavy focus on recruiting from abroad key office , clerical, administrative, finance, security and business staff positions are being filled with unqualified people who are give too much power and nepotism is becoming an issue. While most 'new' senior faculty may be reluctant to evaluate or assess employees that have been at the university longer than they. This should be done as there is a surprising number of ex-students and under-qualified people in key positions dealing with or receiving applications and appeals etc that should not be.

Rich in multicultural activities and study environment that gave me a lifetime experience of self building.

Former Employee - Student in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Student in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at American University of Sharjah full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A beautiful multicultural community with great faculty and a friendly social environment.
    A huge variety of academic programs with latest specialization options.
    State of the art building and equipment with facilities that give a comfortable study environment.

Cons

Fees are expensive for lower and middle class.
    During my 4 year study program, the fee structure was raised 4 times which dramatically changed my financial situation.

The fee structure of a student should not change during his/her study program that was at the beginning of his/her admission.

American University of Sharjah Photos