American Valet

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
2.9

Mike Pendergraft

friendly, reasonable and professional company; many women in management;

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Valet part-time (less than a year)

Pros

good training; good focus on customer service and care; job growth opportunities

Cons

relatively low starting pay; routine of valet services/shuttle driving requires great focus & attention and can be stressful - especially in extremes of weather temperatures and changing driving conditions - from street traffic to pedestrians

develop a living wage as entry level and the high turnover rate would drop and customer care and vehicle safety would have greater motivation basis

Don't do it!!!!!!!!

I have been working at American Valet

Pros

None I've been a valet before and made way more money than working for this terribly ran company. Worst job ever.

Cons

Low pay, no management. Terrible communication. Can make more money doing anything else.

Care about your employees.

Lots of Exercise! Great Coworkers!

Former Employee - Valet in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Valet in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Valet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are the best part of the job. You'll get plenty of exercise. The company also offers paid management training to any employ interested. If you need extra hours, the are almost always looking for valets for private events. You can make well over $100 in tips some nights--working just a few hours--if you are willing to hustle.

Cons

Very little career opportunities. It can be near to impossible to switch to another account if you are assigned a bad one. The company also tries to keep most of the employees below 35 hours a week so they don't have to provide benefits--needless to say a lot of the employees don't stay with the company very long.

Be willing to provide some benefits or better compensation if you want to keep your good employees.

Customer relations driven but high turnover

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at American Valet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advancement is assured for those willing to put in the time and effort

Cons

Positions require multi-tasking to the extreme

Corporate Management in Phoenix disconnected from Valets

Former Employee - Valet in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Valet in Tucson, AZ

I worked at American Valet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you get on a good account (hotel/casino) you will make a lot in tips. I ended up making well over $10/hr every day I worked. Most of your co-workers are fun to work with. Good exercise, I averaged around 5-9 miles a day. I worked to the end of March 2014, and at least at my account, they were good with us working overtime. I'd work 6 days a week sometimes.

Cons

- Some slacker employees hold everyone back, and they still make the same tip money for doing nothing. And the account manager has no power in firing or transferring these employees, he can only "write them up" which did nothing.
    - We emailed corporate about these slacker employees - nothing changed and we never got a response.
    - Corporate shows no appreciation for the valet employees. I think one month they were giving away headphones... A pair of headphones... One executives was at our account one day, and he wouldn't even make eye contact with us, let alone speak to us. Seemed dead bored and pissed off the entire time - a real winner.
    - They take "the customer is always right" wayyyy too far. Customer is not always right. People get fired over the STUPIDEST things, against the account managers wishes.

Listen to your valets. They ARE your company. There's no type of forum or dialogue between corporate and the employees.

Before making rash decisions on employee terminations, listen to what the account managers have to say.

Respond to your employees when they contact you...

At least pretend to care.

You park cars, not too difficult.

I worked at American Valet

Pros

Work is easy for decent pay. They work very well with whatever your schedule may be.

Cons

The company is more focused on larger profits than their employees. They often (about 90% of the time) over staff events to the point that it is impossible to make any money. Frustrating for employees to learn that the company gets paid per valet for such events so more is better for them. Lastly, when there is an event that charges each car for valet services, rather than bill the event before hand, there is a good chance for valets to walk away with less than minimum wage.

Only advice would be when there is charged valet services that the charge should include tip for the valets as most people already think the tip is included.

Great company to work for when looking for temporary and flexible employment.

Former Employee - Valet Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Valet Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Valet part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance was the biggest perk at American Valet. If you work hard you are able to pick and choose when you can and will work. Managers are all very understanding of college and school loads, as well as other jobs. You will not be expected to work when sick and when you have family issues going on.

Cons

Other employees the company hires can be poor. This sometimes causes extra work on the achievers at certain events, even though everyone splits the tip pool evenly. Moving up can be hard sometimes as well. Sometimes managers do not take advise when they should.

Continue to promote your high achievers. Watch for the rising stars and encourage them to stay by assigning them to high profile events. Keep your A team together to help with events, and try and train managers to consider the advise of veteran employees.

Bad Management

I worked at American Valet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, make cash tips

Cons

American Valet does not value the valet employees. When I went through training the Trainer said that they fired a valet because a customer complained the Valet looked at a customer the wrong way. The customer is not always right ! They were going to cut everyones hours to part time so they would not have to provide benefits. No raises , difficult to move up to management, not a career path.

Lower the high turnover, raise wages, provide more and better training. All the good Valets are leaving because its not a good place to work. Figure out how to schedule to right number of valets for a shift so they can actually make tips, don't let a valet go thats been there for a while for getting one guest complaint.

Didn't love it

Former Employee - Valet in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Valet in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at American Valet part-time (more than a year)

Pros

So, the money can be good if you get a good account. You get lots of exercise. You get to talk to lots of people and you get to drive all kinds of cars.

Cons

Politics, dishonest coworkers, managers will take you off good shifts to give them to their friends, they don't care about you just the bottom line, It is churn and burn, poor upward mobility.

If you treat good people badly they will leave. Quit lowering pay or everyone will leave.

Flexible job if your balancing school work or another part-time job

Current Employee - Private Party Valet in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Private Party Valet in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Valet part-time

Pros

Flexible with your hours and schedule, if the host decides not to allow their guests to tip you then American Valet will add $40 gratuity on your check. There are always opportunities to fill in for extra hours.

Cons

If you don't work at a permanent location and are a private party valet like I am, you never know when you will be working next.