American Vogue Reviews

4.0

Anna Wintour

Amazing

I worked at American Vogue

Pros

Amazing staff, loved the interaction, high end designers interaction

Cons

Extremely long hours but sometimes it was necessary

Keep doing what you're doing

There are other places, but...it is Vogue!

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at American Vogue as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The brand name and potential networking opportunities

The masthead staff are more friendly, and smarter than the public thinks. It is because they've been doing this for a very long-time. They have nothing to lose and they've met a lot of people outside of the fashion industry (I assume).

The mean Vogue staff are the entry-level employees and freelancers who will step on your toes, and rat you out to other people to get to the top. Many on the fashion side have major problems with professionalism, confidentiality and ethics. I mean it isn't like they have much experience outside of a fashion department environment.

Cons

American Vogue (Conde Nast in general) is not a company that looks for intellect, knowledge or experienced entry-level and mid-level professional's (mainly in the fashion department). As stated by others, having a brain is not advisable nor respected at Conde Nast. As long as you have the right outfit and a recognizable last name, you are good to go!

As a former intern, I can tell you that you will work with girls who are very beautiful, can put an outfit together but clearly have not spent an ounce of decent time in a corporate (non fashion) environment. They wear their lack of experience (and sometimes intellect) on their sleeves. Do not expect to work with people who are strategic, knowledgeable (besides styling, knowing industry names/fashion terminology) or have been trained by the best in the media, press, sales or the business industry.

You will meet entry-level and some mid-level fashion individuals who have never heard of Ogilvy Mather, Leo Burnett or Weber Shandwick public relations. You will also meet freelance individuals who are still in school, and act like there 16 years of age.

I worked with an actual employee, who not only never heard of Edelman PR but had a tendency to always leave at 5pm or before 4pm. He/She also had a big fit about completing a ton of story-boards late at night when our boss left. He/She actually needed and asked for interns help. I thought He/She was kidding when they asked, but He/She was dead serious. He/She clearly didn't have a strong work ethic. It was very obvious.

Be prepared for the petty backstabbing and snitching as well. If I learned anything, it was to keep my mouth shut, be careful who I reached out or spoke to and not show my emotions on my sleeve.

If you are seeking a fun/social experience type of fashion job where you leave with fun memories to tell your grandchildren, Vogue's fashion department may be for you.

It's like being a part of a sorority. But do not expect a Google, CNN or New York Times job experience.

However, if you are seeking an entry-level fashion job where you work hard, learn/complete new, fast-pace, deadline driven and complex tasks everyday with really smart individuals I suggest to go work at a Fashion PR firm, modeling agency or for a Fashion Director individually. These are fashion industry jobs where you can really be given great projects and responsibilities that rely on the sales side of the business. Not a position where you are splitting the same tasks with 3-5 individuals (the clothes schlepper's and look-book creator's for the magazine).

If you can get an assistant job to a big editor at Vogue, go for that!!

Consider hiring a smarter set of entry-level staff, who can really bring more to the table and who hold a mass amount of knowledge, intellect and ethical standards that is important to the financial and creative growth of the brand.

Continuing to hire pretty girls, with a respected last name or 1-2 fashion internships under their belt who bring nothing to the table, but being a fashion garment shlepper and look-book creator, could possibly be detrimental to the business in the long-run. I know you all change entry-level employees every few years, so it's not a big deal. But, you'd be surprised on how many students have interned or worked as an entry-level person who have some of the best knowledge and skills, learned from companies that millions in the world would kill to learn from (press, sales, business, marketing, finance, technology etc.).

Don't lose out on top talent. Yahoo and Google are growing with fashion department's of their own, because arguably editorial houses aren't picking up on this!

Vogue Magazine is excellent, but it needs some work in the entry-level hiring department (Conde Nast as whole to be honest). Get rid of the "for the moment" employees, and hire the "potentially long-term" employees before Hearst, Time Inc, Yahoo, and Google scrape them all up for themselves.

Freelance accessories

I worked at American Vogue part-time

Pros

The best reason to work for American Vogue is for the people. Everyone is inspiring and everything is new, I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Cons

There where no cons, however if you don't like long hours I don't think this would be the right job for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern at the greatest magazine in the world, with the best professionals in the industry!

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at American Vogue full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Assistants, upper management and interns are all incredibly nice, smart, friendly and very professional.

- I built some great professional relationships with staff and interns

- I had the opportunity to complete some once and a lifetime tasks, learn how the magazine is run and the structure in the office.

- Opportunity to work with numerous experienced professionals who were excited and eager to teach and share their knowledge with interns.

Cons

- Unfortunately, I was not assigned to the best supervisor.

- My supervisor was incredibly argumentative, unorganized, and somewhat confrontational with me.

- She did not use good communication, problem solving, or decision making skills when managing me.

- I did a lot of assistant type work for her (which was a fantastic learning experience for me) but it bothered me that it showed how unorganized she was when working with me specifically. I expect employees at Vogue to try and figure out certain things out on their own, analyze certain situations before assuming things, all before calling their interns at home. Its unfortunate that she was the only employee who worked this way.

- I wish I could have spent a lot more time with the other staff. They all seemed incredibly organized, prioritized, and not needing to rely on the help (interns) to fix everything. To me, they are all incredibly intellegent individuals. I think it's unfortunate that other industries are not able to see how smart fashion people (mainly Vogue staff) are before passing intellectual judgement. I am very happy to have interned at Vogue and given the opportunity to learn from the professionals I met there.

- Vogue Magazine is the number one fashion publication in the world for a reason. I was just assigned to a bad supervisor, which happens to many people in all types of work environments and industries. Its an experience, that must be had! :)

Nope! Keep doing what you are doing. No advice for Vogue is needed.

its a job

I worked at American Vogue full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really nice cafeteria in a well designed space. There are plenty of choices for lunch.

Cons

The people who work in middle management are by far the weakest links in the chain.

Worked for American Vogue? Contribute to the Community!