American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

American Water President, CEO, and Board Member Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba

Pros:
  • "They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Untimely reorganization was detrimental to departments and selection processes for remaining centers was not thought through completely"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great people to work with.

I have been working at American Water

ProsIt is great to have the support of a manager that wants to see you excel and succeed whether you are with their team or not.

ConsThe red tape to get certain things done is unfortunate and tends to slow progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better understanding of the work that is being done across the business. There are times when there is no visibility to other commitments to the business that create frustration and friction between the groups.

A rollercoaster ride, uphill climbs but downhill going on now......

Middletown, NJ

I worked at American Water full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood benefits so far, able to participate in AWK stock. I was able to form my own network of colleagues to rely on for assistance in other areas of the Company...all nice people,

ConsManagement says they are open to employee input & concern but they are not... that includes middle management & up. They don't care attitude comes across in their speech, their emails and memos, their body language. Its all about the buck, how much can be saved for their pockets. Problems are shoved under the carpet, there is no HR Dept, just a Service Center. Employees are leaving the company or retiring because too many changes. Dont work here if you want a life!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are career opportunities,like those with business transformation, that are never offered to the general employee population .... who are the end users. The same people over and over on these programs. All the money spent on these trainings and conferences could be better spent on inventives for employees deserving an incentive award, not just the usual increase that is suppose to be individual but isntl that goes around in their department. Upper management really needs to get out with the people again and hear (see) what goes among the ranks every day. Morale is not good, and has not been good for awhile in New Jersey North.

Very Nice Experience

Voorhees, NJ

I worked at American Water as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI worked as a consultant for over a year in ITS.Work schedule was pretty flexible. work from home. Cool co-workers.Non-political.Good pay.

ConsInsufficient growth opportunities, Slow paced environment,Not enough room for applying improved technology or learning new technology

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience. Plenty of opportunity along with long hours.

Director (Current Employee)
Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at American Water full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople are great. Having the right director is critical. Plenty of opportunity to work stretch assignments, broaden your horizons and acquire new skills.

ConsEfficiency overload. When peers or direct reports leave, you must revalidate why the position is needed. The process eats time and minimizes your ability to get things accomplished (esp. In mid manager roles.). Stretch assignments - even large ones - are on top of your normal 110% load, so building for your future comes at a tremendous expense of your personal life and family.

Worked in the Finance department as an intern for Accounting & Reporting

Accounting & Reporting Intern (Former Employee)
Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at American Water as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance

Conslower entry level pay with rigid promotion policies

Ever Changing

I have been working at American Water full-time

ProsGreat 401K and pretty good benefits

ConsSometimes unproffesional and unfair practices

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect

Pipeline contracts, Inventory, Backflow Specialist

Administrative Bid Coordinator (Current Employee)
Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at American Water full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay, mostly good people

ConsRather not say, depends on your position

Advice to Senior ManagementMust have knowledge in water and waste water and regulatory compliancy.

Good Company long time employee

I worked at American Water full-time

ProsBalance really enjoyed working here

ConsLot of change dealt with it well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course

field resources coordinator

Field Resources Coordinator (Current Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at American Water full-time

ProsWork life balance, hours, benefits and work
environment.

Consjob security, company president, corporate financial decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job considering the costs to the company and the effects on employees when making major changes. i.e opening,. closing and moving offices.

Good place to work, but ...

I worked at American Water full-time

ProsThe salaries and benefits are comparable, if not slightly superior, to other utility companies that are privately owned. There is a culture that encourages and gives access to further education in the field. The higher-ups in the organization are reachable and encourage feedback even at the lowest levels.

ConsMany programs are instituted before proper beta testing is completed and the effects on the lower workforce is taken into account. While there is talk about adopting best practices within the company, there is often more homogenization of processes without seeing if a new procedure truly can benefit the company more. When there is a structural reorganization that requires sizable layoffs, often too many jobs are cut and the remaining employees are expected to pick up the slack until the company rightsizes again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen introducing a new system-wide computer program, there needs to be more user documentation made available and more "super-users" to be trained at a district level.

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Water CEO Jeffry E. (Jeff) Sterba. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees.