American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

American Water CEO Susan Story

Susan Story

Pros:
  • "They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited advancement opportunities and no investment in modern technology"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Chaotic collection of operations. Undergoing organizational change unleashing wave after wave of disruption.

ProsBig company recognized as a leader in the utility vertical. National presence with operations in different states. Leadership seeking to drive on efficiencies

ConsHighly dysfunctional organization with a toxic culture. Currently focusing on implementing a business transformation program without truly understanding the nature of their current operations. Clear disconnect between executive management, middle management, and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and seriously review the current course of the business transformation program and how to achieve the vision. Assess the situation honestly.

Great Company for the Bluegrass

ProsCares deeply about its customers and employees.

ConsCorporate structure does not always fit.

Change in leadership in IT dragging people down.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Voorhees, NJ

ProsBenefits are awesome - health care costs reasonable w/good coverage, great 401K match and no vesting period, stock purchase plan, sick leave, and other nice benefits.

ConsThe IT department had really turned around until the recent leadership change. Now it's not a fun place to work and there is no access to the CIO. We used to be listened to and now we're not. All the good talent is looking for options outside AW.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were reasons we became on of the best places to work. Perhaps the organization should reflect on those things and work to go back to that culture and value and respect for people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ITS Employee

ITS Employee (Current Employee)
    Voorhees, NJ

ProsGood Benefits, pay, nice work from home days

ConsLack of communication, people are promoted to management or leadership position who have NO people skills. No clear direction on projects or requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better. Make sure managers are qualified to "manage" or "lead" others.

Pipeline contracts, Inventory, Backflow Specialist

Administrative Bid Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Wilkes-Barre, PA

ProsGreat pay, mostly good people

ConsRather not say, depends on your position

Advice to Senior ManagementMust have knowledge in water and waste water and regulatory compliancy.

Good Company long time employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBalance really enjoyed working here

ConsLot of change dealt with it well

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course

field resources coordinator

Field Resources Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsWork life balance, hours, benefits and work
    environment.

Consjob security, company president, corporate financial decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job considering the costs to the company and the effects on employees when making major changes. i.e opening,. closing and moving offices.

Soulless robots

McMurray, PA

ProsYou'll get to be dragged through the hiring process and dumped

ConsIf you've raised 6 kids pretty much on your own so you have gaps in your employment, were left penniless by not one but two husbands so you have bad credit, have not had health insurance so couldn't treat your chronic illness and pass the physical and despite not having gone to college, spent 5 years doing college level work successfully at a major corporation do not apply here because you're still not good enough to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new HR Rep and a soul.

Good place to work, but ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salaries and benefits are comparable, if not slightly superior, to other utility companies that are privately owned. There is a culture that encourages and gives access to further education in the field. The higher-ups in the organization are reachable and encourage feedback even at the lowest levels.

ConsMany programs are instituted before proper beta testing is completed and the effects on the lower workforce is taken into account. While there is talk about adopting best practices within the company, there is often more homogenization of processes without seeing if a new procedure truly can benefit the company more. When there is a structural reorganization that requires sizable layoffs, often too many jobs are cut and the remaining employees are expected to pick up the slack until the company rightsizes again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen introducing a new system-wide computer program, there needs to be more user documentation made available and more "super-users" to be trained at a district level.

Not a place to be a minority

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealth care above average, though that is changing

Executive management may finally be understanding there's problems with the company and middle management.

ConsIf you want advancement, you'd better be a WASP male. If you're a minority then you may get hired, but your chances of training and advancement are non existent.

Chances of your pay increasing above what you hire in at very low - If you get an increase in line with inflation you'll be doing well.

Corporate policies are largely lip service ignored outside NJ

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management will tell you what they think you want to hear. Dont bank the farm on it being true and accurate.

Accept that there are issues and that they need ti be fixed. Being the only game in town isn't a good reason for mismanagement and apathy.

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Water CEO Susan Story. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees.