American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

American Water CEO Susan Story

Susan Story

Pros:
  • "They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited advancement opportunities and no investment in modern technology"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company has allowed me to grow and become a valuable member of managment

Saint Louis, MO

ProsVery ethical Company.
    Excellent Benefits
    Good pay
    Strong industry and more secure then others
    Employees are treated with respect and dignity

ConsSometimes not as forward thinking and moves more slowly in that venue. Requires an idea to be put forward multiple times in some instances before it takes hold and moves forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to move forward in our beliefs and values. While we are a regulaqted Company and do not have direct competion,we need to continue to act like a competitive organizaiton in order to be the best we can be.

Great benefits/bad management

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Voorhees, NJ

ProsGreat benefits and competitive salary

ConsPerformance review process is horrible, too many managers, no flex time offered, revolving door of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating the hard work employees do

A utility company you can be proud to work for.

Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Alton, IL

ProsAmerican water provides excelent benifits and compenstation is nearly on par with the levels in other industries and employers while providing a work enviroment that is not hostile by showing respect to it's employees.

ConsAt American Water some positions, specifically in technology positions, are only available in certain regions of the country; if you live in New Jersey you will be OK.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thing I disliked about working at American Water was the review and goal setting process, it was difficult to understand and was argumentative since experice with it indicated you had to be ready to defend yourself and you should expect to have to "sell" you good points.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to get experience - not much room for advancement

ProsThe company offers good benefits package and reasonable pay increases. American Water also has a good tuition reembursement program, and it is fairly easy to get approved by Management.

ConsAmerican Water does not offer many advancement opportunities for its employees. The employee appraisal review process is ridiculous. You rarely feel valued and appreciated by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention should become a priority for the company. There aren't many job advancement opportunities within the company. The company continues to lose good people even in this economy.

Lots of changes in the newly public company.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Voorhees, NJ

ProsTop scientists working every day to treat and deliver the most-need, life essential resource. The plant operators and scientists hard every day to make sure that water keeps flowing to homes and businesses. American Water is very active in environmental research and is an active member in many industry organizations such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the American Water Works Organization.
    The company just went public and had a very successful IPO. Changes because of that IPO are being looked at as postitve and that the company will be regaining its title of the leader in the industry.

ConsVery conservative, sometimes inflexible structure hampers internal and external progress. The states in which American Water operates in are all regulated by state regulatory boards. These rules and regulations ad layers and layers onto process when specific projects are being worked on. The company is working on upgrading technological systems, but that happpen slowly and the company is a bit behind the industry standard with regard to Information Technology Services. They are working on it though. This company, like all others tends to be very political. Not sure yet how the economy will effect this company, no layoffs yet, but one never knows.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in IT and provide more resources to internal teams. Cut back on the layers of process that it takes to move projects along. Empower all levels of employees to make decision and be held accountable for their responsibilities. Recognize that employees from all areas may be able to provide good ideas. Don't remain siloed.

Keep Out

Customer Care AKA the Forgotten Ones (Former Employee)
    Alton, IL

ProsThe benefits were great,and it was close to my home at the time.

ConsNo chance for advancement, unless you were the chosen few. The same people were the only ones getting promoted.
    It didn't matter how qualified or educated and professional your were. I've seen folks with MBA's get passed up by "others" who barley had GED's. They were in the loop.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your back!!!! American Water has been known to promote you right out the door. I've seen it happen twice. Also,they have changed presidents 6 times in 5 years...hint,hint. Not a good sign.

Walk the Talk

Business Development (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsWell educated employees and fair/reasonable compensation.

ConsOthers taking credit for your work, limited opportunity for advancement and issues of management trust

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the same way you want them to treat customers. Develop and follow a written process to better promote work/life balance. Implement and monitor tighter cost controls across all subsidiaries, including both regulated and unregulated companies, particularly for employee travel, dining and entertainment related expenditures. Strickly prohibit the practice of allowing vendor "perks" to extend to family members of any AWK employee.

Great Benefits, Good Pay, Job Security and Growth Potential for a Proven Industry Leader and Publicly traded utility

Phoenix, AZ

ProsFantastic Benefits packages, great job security, good advancement opportunities.

ConsCompany is antiquated in the way it is organized and in technology use and information sharing

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in company specific, cross-program relationship database of all assets (people, places, permits, assets, real-time data, GPS information, etc). Invest in future technologies and alternative energies and energy efficiencies (solar, wind, wave, biodiesel, biogas, etc.).

Long Road

ProsGreat Health benefits and people

Consnot much room for advancement unless you know someone or brown nose

Good as starting point and then move on

ProsAbility to develop self
    Great for technical industry knowledge

ConsPoor and inconsistent leadership
    HR Practices not standardized
    Lack of management development

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to change culture, you need to change the leadership
    If managers don't value people development should they still be people managers

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Water CEO Susan Story. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees.