American Water

American Water Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

American Water CEO Susan Story

Susan Story

Pros:
  • "They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good coworkers, good culture, good work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited advancement opportunities and no investment in modern technology"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't Bother

ProsBenefits are ok, that is truly it. Nothing else to talk about.

ConsCompany is not on same page. Poor communication. Poor management. Human Resources is horrific. Polices made, never followed. New leaders are needed, this organization is on the down side. I really wish I could say something positive, but there is nothing. Upper managment coming in just to fill their pockets, corporate greed has taken over. So sad for a company at one time was superb. They are trying to make a small company a big company where only management reaps rewards. Worker bees get screwed due to the greed. Managment cliques are just awful, and blackball employees and are only committed to other managment so they support anything they say. I would be very leary working in this environment. It is stressful and there is no empathy with what people are going through. We are now in a reorganization going on, and it is by far the worst corporate reorg people have ever seen or experienced. Those affected are being treated like trash by management. It is a true disgrace.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have ruined this company to the enth degree. I really don't think it will ever bounce back. You are not true to your employees or your company. The truth is always covered up and hidden. Employees no longer trust. So many people looking to leave, myself, as well. We are so disappointed. Find some TRUE leaders and not a clique of managers and directors who is ruinning the company into the ground.

good learning process

Systems Tehnician (Former Employee)
    East Palo Alto, CA

Prosgreat benefits, good education program for employees

Consnot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementI rather not say

Long Road

ProsGreat Health benefits and people

Consnot much room for advancement unless you know someone or brown nose

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good firm if you are in it for the long haul.

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsWorking for a regulated monopoly, the company is pretty stable. There's usually a lot of capital to invest in the infrastructure.

ConsWhile stable, there are time when there is a lot of bloat. At times, that capital investment leads to trying to do too much too fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementPreach a consistent message

OK place to work.

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee)
    Voorhees, NJ

ProsPeople I worked with were nice. The schedule was day shift which was nice.

ConsPay was not that great. No room for advancement unless you knew someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your pay and opportunities to move up.

Good as starting point and then move on

ProsAbility to develop self
    Great for technical industry knowledge

ConsPoor and inconsistent leadership
    HR Practices not standardized
    Lack of management development

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to change culture, you need to change the leadership
    If managers don't value people development should they still be people managers

Downward spiral and unhappy employees

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Pros- remote work possible
    - competitive entry level salary
    - new technology

Cons- Work life balance out of sync, vacation time ridiculous, unless you spent 20 years with the company
    - cost cuttings everywhere to balance out higher than estimated costs for new system implementation
    - previous training opportunities were great, however now due to costs, cuts everywhere
    - constant changes within the organization, people are exhausted and just not happy anymore
    - upper management says "open door policy" but they don't act upon it, not listening to employees

Advice to Senior Management- listen to employees
    - slow down with changes, organization is change saturated
    - find better ways to keep high performing employees
    - change vacation polices, make it competitive

Get on the bandwagon

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsNothing segregates them from any other company with benefits, salaries

ConsNo work life balance. If you are salaried, you are expected to give many many extra hours while hourly employees get paid. Unfair performance reviews. You have to be in the "IN CROWD" to get promoted. Just smile and be a "GOOD LITTLE SOLDIER" and you can keep your job and not be harassed by management. Never speak up because management thinks they are" god" here and if you even think about calling out any unfair action out by managers, HR will stomp you and hide it. Reorganization was done unprofessionally and without compassion.
    Favorites were chosen, company did not do what they said about keeping skilled people. It was more like keeping people around you who turn their heads and look the other way when management is unfair.
    Too top heavy on managment. Especially in corporate. These people might have to really work now due to the reorg, no one left to pass their work off to.
    Do yourself a favor and find another company. Even if they promise good money, it is never worth it, you will pay dearly.

There are no company values, no customer service left......all went bye bye so managment can cut jobs and make big bucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up, what goes around comes around. Stop preying on innocent people's lives. We are not your puppets.

Nothing there to make you want to join them

ProsEasy commute in southern New Jersey
    Top corporate management seems to be trying to move the company in the right direction

ConsCareer advancement opportunities
    Unreasonable expectations from a truly workaholic boss, especially considering the compensation (I'm planning to leave.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the employees.

Good company to work for.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Hershey, PA

ProsVery focused on their employees.

ConsHR isn't always focused on the employee but on their own benefit (HR's benefit).

Worked for American Water? Contribute to the Community!

American Water Videos

American Water – Why Work for Us?

About Us In a world where everything we touch frequently changes, water is our constant. We’ve never stopped needing it to drink, to cook, to clean, to live. We’ll always need it for sanitation, for fire protection, for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Water CEO Susan Story. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by American Water employees.