American Water Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.7

American Water CEO Susan Story
Susan Story

Pros
  • They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far (in 11 reviews)

• great benefits, good education program for employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance out of sync, vacation time ridiculous, unless you spent 20 years with the company (in 4 reviews)

• Career advancement opportunities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at American Water as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good Company Culture
    Good Pay and Benefits
    Great Room for development and growth

Cons

constant restructuring
    HR team wasn't the most consistent

Get on the bandwagon

Former Employee - Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at American Water full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nothing segregates them from any other company with benefits, salaries

Cons

No work life balance. If you are salaried, you are expected to give many many extra hours while hourly employees get paid. Unfair performance reviews. You have to be in the "IN CROWD" to get promoted. Just smile and be a "GOOD LITTLE SOLDIER" and you can keep your job and not be harassed by management. Never speak up because management thinks they are" god" here and if you even think about calling out any unfair action out by managers, HR will stomp you and hide it. Reorganization was done unprofessionally and without compassion.
    Favorites were chosen, company did not do what they said about keeping skilled people. It was more like keeping people around you who turn their heads and look the other way when management is unfair.
    Too top heavy on managment. Especially in corporate. These people might have to really work now due to the reorg, no one left to pass their work off to.
    Do yourself a favor and find another company. Even if they promise good money, it is never worth it, you will pay dearly.

There are no company values, no customer service left......all went bye bye so managment can cut jobs and make big bucks.

Wake up, what goes around comes around. Stop preying on innocent people's lives. We are not your puppets.

Some Good Leaders Some Poor Leaders

Former Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Director in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at American Water full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Usually most of the peers are nice and friendly and base compensation is fair. Not much advancement opportunities, flat organization.

Cons

Bonuses and politics suck, like most places. Feels like High School in that some people are snakes and try and get ahead, it works for some. Direction is not clear and consistent to the day-to-day managers

Clean house! Get some turnover and bring in fresh blood each year (external hires). The world is advancing much faster than AW and you need to branch out beyond public utilities.

Inspector

Former Employee - Inspector in Lynbrook, NY
    Former Employee - Inspector in Lynbrook, NY

I worked at American Water full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You go outdoors and check homes who have sprinkling systems.

Cons

There is nothing negative about the company.

None

Employee

I have been working at American Water (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good employees most truly care despite adverse relationship most employees will welcome you and help you when possible but time is of the essence

Cons

Horrible treatment of employees .Illegally stole employee health care and that is just one of the many soulless moves that make it hard .

Respect employees point of view

This Place Caused Me Years of Anxiety

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Alton, IL

I worked at American Water full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Nice Work Area
    Reasonable Pay
    PTO
    Close To Home

Cons

Horrible Performance Appraisal Proccess
    Favoritism
    Constant Reorganization
    Not Sympathetic To The Fact You Are A Person and Have a Family

I advanced in the company very quickly, when I became one of the higher paid team supervisors management used this against me telling me I was paid too much and needed to work harder. The constant reorganization of the company had me sick every day with fear that I would be booted out. Management uses HR as a scare tactic, honestly I have never trusted another HR person since working here. Due to reorg management changes all the time and the real focus (the customer) is lost. Save your sanity and don't work here.

Quit scaring employees with reorgs and HR. Quit promoting the wrong people based on hearsay from managers. You have lost many many good supervisors just because they "pissed off a manager". Management by fear won't retain your good employees

Great money, terrible policy and system implementation

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III - PA in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III - PA in Pensacola, FL

I worked at American Water full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great money for entry level positions in the area, generally pleasant co-workers, nice building and better equipment than most of the call centers with which I have been employed, union available, metrics attainable for employees with drive to succeed.

Cons

Inconsistent management, policy applied in an inappropriately discretionary manner, overwhelming amounts mandatory overtime with no regard to family obligations outside of normally scheduled shift, employees treated as replaceable.

Employees who are dedicated and perform well should not be penalized for being unable to work excessive overtime outside of the shifts they selected. Employees are already subjected to shift bids based on seniority and must find shifts that they can manage thier lives around. Shifts are selected to best fit the employees schedules and random changes are not easy to manage. Also, termination of and employee for a single mistake that has otherwise performed well is ludicrous. The disciplinary procedure for attendance is well thought out, aside from the overtime issue, but otherwise the disciplinary procedure is either completely lax or grossly excessive. Employees can quit and come back without issue, but the effort to keep a good employee is minimal at best.

Brown nose are us

I have been working at American Water full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have pretty good benefits and if you are into brown nosing and cloaking the truth, you will go far.

Cons

Too many political games. They hire their unqualified friends who know very little and others with talent get laid off. They hire too many temporary contract people for call center who don't get enough time to really learn their systems so that they can adequately care for customers on the national platform. By the time they begin to learn it, those people cycle out and a new group comes

Stop hiring friends and be more transparent

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Utility Worker in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Utility Worker in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at American Water full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good stable job to retire from

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about my experience with them

Great company with a great culture

I have been working at American Water full-time

Pros

-Diverse and well-qualified staff
    -Upper level management is accessible and friendly to all employees
    -Employee compensation and benefits are fair considering the work/life balance afforded
    -Rewarding corporate culture, gives back to communities served.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say. Every company has a few bad apples, but American Water does a fine job weeding them out.

It's a pleasure to work with you.

American Water Photos

West Virginia American Water and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
american water
At American Water, we hold ourselves to the highest standards in delivering clean, high-quality drinking water

+ Add Photo