AmericanTours

AmericanTours Chairman and CEO Noel Irwin Hentschel
Noel Irwin Hentschel

ATI Is The Most Inspiring Company

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked for all sectors in the travel industry including airlines, hotels, government tourism entities and other tour operators I can attest "ATI is the most inspiring company." The ATI culture is very service-oriented and illustrates it truly cares about clients and employees. The values communicated daily by ATI which include positive Attitude, Teamwork and Initiative makes for a happy and friendly work environment.

The founders communicate a clear vision and are very engaged in guiding and mentoring the ATI team. By their example of hard work they inspire desire for growth with the company. The professional career development opportunities at ATI are really good. From mentoring to training internally and externally, offering the ability to travel to build relationships worldwide on behalf of ATI promoting America as "goodwill ambassadors." The global leadership experience is a great way to grow personally I have found. Am happy that ATI believes in giving back and supports team members charities like runs for breast cancer research and helping homeless people with shelter, clothing and jobs. Appreciate that ATI promotes first from within recognizing hard work and dedication as well as caring about our families for good work-home balance.

Cons

The only con can think of has been taken into consideration by the management with the newly remodeled ATI offices we now again have expanded and have a new lunch room and beautiful work stations. Thank you.

Continue ensuring that ATI is the most inspirational company. Only hire people who appreciate the opportunities afforded them, who love the ATI "service with a smile" and teamwork philosophy.

Love My Job At ATI!

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love to travel, love to meet people from all over the world, love to be part of a company that is growing and helps others grow and is making a difference for a better world-ATI is the best place to be!

Cons

Sometimes other team members do not appreciate the hard work and dedication of those who built the company or have been here a long time-disappointing. the good news is the whiners are few and far between and eventually move on. We have low turnover and high growth potential-a big pro!

Keep the course, the core values you impart everyday are right on! We love opening new markets, always being the first. Thanks for the great opportunities afforded us all! Love my job at ATI!

G/L

Current Employee - G/L in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - G/L in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are relatively young and fun group. People work together as a team.

Cons

Management doesn't value talent and doesn't compensate hard work. During meetings Noel talks about mother Teresa but doesn't seem to pass these values in the running of the company.

Set compensation level relative to employee value. Fire employees that create more problems then they are worth.

ok job, could be better

I have been working at AmericanTours as an intern

Pros

people are really cool. it really depends on your department. the CEO, CFO, etc. are a little crazy. But it's a very relaxing job and you quickly outgrow it . you will be working very hard

Cons

very top heavy when it comes to pay. also some departments are favored over others. office culture is very good, as they hire people from all over the world

Travel operations coordinator

Current Employee - Travel Operations Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Travel Operations Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly and supportive co-workers and executives. If you are working hard it will not remain unnoticed. Good place to get first insights of the travel industry.

Cons

Low pay. Not too much room to grow.

Great team, poor pay

Former Employee - Reservations Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Reservations Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AmericanTours full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and helpful people
    International work environment

Cons

Poor compensation
    Night and weekend shifts
    Chaotic workplace
    Employees were fired left and right, new people were hired quickly

Should be more organized and value employees more

Great company with great people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AmericanTours full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for AmericanTours for 14 plus years before moving from Los Angeles. I hated to leave because it was one of the best working experiences of my life. I highly recommend it to anyone who believes that hard work should have its rewards. It does with this company. In today’s culture many large organizations only recognize and promote employees who hold advanced degrees. At AmericanTours they measure an employee’s worth by their talent and work ethic and promote on this basis regardless of their educational background. The multi-cultural environment makes for an interesting, exciting and fun workplace. The employees are like a family who respect and honor each others differences and unique qualities and work together as a team. The owners created this stable environment, which pays tribute to the fact that the company has survived a weak economy and multiple disasters that weighed heavily and closed the doors of many others in the travel industry.

Cons

I can think of none.

Continue on the path you are on. It has served you and your employees well for many years and hopefully many more to come.

Watching a company limp by with the bare minimum of recompense.

Current Employee - Cannot Specify Due to Fear of Retaliation in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cannot Specify Due to Fear of Retaliation in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AmericanTours full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to meet and work in a diverse cultural environment, this is the place.

Cons

Your input will be ignored. Your concerns will fall on deaf ears. This is a job taken out of desperation. Many people have no background in the travel industry and ended up here due to running out of job options (and it shows!).

Be prepared to be forced to attend "meetings" where the CEOs gather and reminisce about the good ole days. Usually, these happen on the company's anniversary and Christmas. Also, you will listen to Noel's religion. She has invented her own religion and will idolize the perfection of the virgin Mary and Mother Theresa for almost an hour at every gathering. If you're an atheist, don't worry about it. God is never mentioned during these proceedings.

The higher-ups are extremely proud of the fact that so many different cultures are represented in the company. When they bring vendors and clients around the office for tours, they will actually read the country of origin and name off of employee name tags. No wonder we have name tags on our cubicles! For being as proud of an internationally-peopled office, you'd think that they would at least know (or simply ask and find out) something about these other cultures. Not. Be prepared to hear Persians referred to as Iranians, Tibetans referred to as Chinese, etc. on a regular basis.

This is a duct-tape workplace where real problems are never addressed or remedied, but are bandaged-up just enough to get by.

Learn the names of your employees. Learn where they are from. If someone has worked for your company for years, it is mandatory that you know these things.

Update your systems. All of them. You are in denial about this company being prepared to face the day-to-day workings of the 21st century.

Get a lunch room. Either get more of the mini-refrigerators or get a couple full-size fridges like the ones that you have access to in your executive offices.

Become familiar with your own workplace. Do not expect that you know anything about your office without experiencing the problems and pace regularly.

Reward and listen to the concerns of your employees. Once the economy recovers, you won't have job scarcity to supply you with the constant influx of new workers to replace those leaving every week.

Allow specialists to be specialists. Guess what? People who are educated in certain arenas know more than you do in those areas. Their educated opinions are not only valid, but are worth more than your antiquated (and sometimes arbitrary) opinions.

a technology company nee travel service company in need of professional management

I worked at AmericanTours

Pros

This company had some momentum transitioning to an ecommerce company with commendable platform choices (JEE, richfaces, Web services, Sybase) in 2007.

Cons

Business and software staff had poor communication. Devs were marched to Bataan under misguided leadership in 2009. No kidding. Guys were working 20+ hours; sleeping in there cars; On a project with whimsical goals sanctioned by mercurial, immature leadership. Over 100% of IT staff turned over in 2 years. That's not how to compete with the likes of Expedia, Orbitz and other competitors who can offer a far better compensation package.

Where do I start...

I worked at AmericanTours full-time

Pros

I had to rack my brain for something to put here...
    A lot of holiday and birthday potlucks.

Cons

First, the company overall is so stuck in the '70s, I honestly don't know how they're still in business.

Needs a SERIOUS revamp of internal and external computer/booking systems, which I won't hold IT accountable for because the team definitely has the knowledge to make advancements; they just don't have the go ahead from senior management.

Turnover is higher than anything I've ever seen, probably because they treat their ground level employees like slaves. While I was there, 15 people left within 2 months. Isn't that saying something?

The pay is a joke for what they expect out of you. Say goodbye to your life so you can work crap hours for a laughable paycheck. (Oh, and by the way, they also want $30 from each of those laughable paychecks for parking. Or you can fight to find street parking everyday and risk getting a ticket. Up to you.)

A lot of petty, high school drama and passive aggressive anger floating around. Definitely an "in crowd" mentality and playing favorites going on.

Very little communication between departments. No one wants to accept responsibillity for their own tasks, which leads to a constant blame game.

Oh, travel benefits you ask? Yeah of course there are some available, but good luck finding time off to use them.

A lot of hollow promises for advancement, raises, perks, etc without an follow through.

Treat your entry level employees better, especially accounting and operations. If accounting isn't succeeding (which it certainly wasn't, when I was there), it makes everyones job more difficult. And the people in operations are the only ones interacting with hotels, agencies AND passengers on a daily basis. Keep them happy, as they are the face of the entire company.
    There's plenty of revenue coming in, yet none of it trickles down to higher pay or any sort of bonus for these employees. It all stays with the higher ups who are out of touch with what is really going on.
    Maybe if you paid people more and treated them with basic respect you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate in which people refer to leaving your company as "jumping off a sinking ship."