Amerigroup

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson

Jim Carlson

Pros:
  • "Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "self - discipline environment, challenging work environment, rewards for hard work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not enough work from home opportunities"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great values

Claims Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGood pay
    Nice working enviroment

Constoo much gossip
    management needs to follow policy

Be very cautious before taking a job at Amerigroup, KS.

Overland Park, KS

ProsSalaries are excellent, co-workers and peers are exceptionally well-educated with outstanding experience. Corporate support good for assistance with system problems and questions pertaining to individual position responsibilities.

ConsHostile work environment, particularly by executive management. Unreasonable expectations dictated by leadership with little or no actual experience in what will actually obtain results. Zero sensitivity towards any Amerigroup associate other than a very few favored individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house of upper management at the KS location. Improve on-the-job training for new associates. Improve "delivery" of communications with subordinates, i.e. stop yelling!

Bullying and Harassment in Nashville...Avoid if you value your sanity

LTSS (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prostelecommuting
    diverse work place
    community involvement
    have not encountered any other pro's for this company

Consmanagers allowed to bully and harass subordinates, with full knowledge by HR and upper management.
    Benefits being stripped away due to merger
    Poor work/life balance
    blatant favoritism
    company values such as respect, compassion, integrity not upheld
    poor systems integration-difficult navigation through multiple sites in order to perform job duties
    high employee turnover
    lack of meaningful initial training, leaving employees set up for failure
    company does not pay for internet access that is required to perform job from home
    extreme micro management
    poor communication from manager/inconsistent or incorrect answers to questions

Advice to Senior Managementopen your eyes, listen to employees concerns, ensure non threatening work environment
    live the core values instead of just naming them
    give support to employees under you instead of constant berating, or threats
    integrate the multiple systems and processes so it is less difficult to navigate and perform the job
    take a different approach to training newly hired employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Devil Wore Prada and I worked for her

ProsGreat benefits, salary
    Great team mates with can-do attitude.
    Good commute.

ConsNot enough work from home opportunities
    No work/life balance
    My last manager was not supportive and did not trust her employees - she micromanaged me out the door.
    I had three managers in less than two years.
    I was not in the clique and therefore was never promoted or groomed for promotion.
    Rumors were the norm and people's careers were derailed as a result.
    I witnessed leadership yell at associates in public forums--very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf leadership does not listen to the line level associates, line level associates will leave or be forced to leave. I wish you luck finding consultants with healthcare experience. As more unhappy associates leave Amerigroup, your ability to hire experienced healthcare professionals may suffer. No one wants to work such long hours and not be appreciated for their personal sacrifices. There may be more people than me waiting and watching the WellPoint acquisition play out before dipping our toes back in those waters.

Nurses-Do Not Pass GO!!!

Case Manager, RN (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGreat learning opportunities through Amerigroup University; short commute time; great diversity as seen in the large number of minorities and women who are in leadership positions; staggered scheduling.

ConsToo many to list, but here are the major ones: No formal training for the department; Manager was vastly inexperienced and micromanaged everyone; VP was not approachable; Very clique oriented, if you aren't in the cool kids group you are out; managers pick and choose who they speak to; managers listening to phone calls and policing emails; employees are discouraged from interacting with others outside their team and at times within the team; no work from home opportunity unless the department is way behind; HR staff not available for conflict resolution between employees and managers; lack of leadership and ingenuity from managers; unprofessional dress attire by managers; IT systems do not complement one another; poorly written job aids and protocols.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore embarking on a new venture, please make sure you hire managers who have the education and experience to properly lead the department. When the employees have more experience than the manager and have consistently offered help and advice to the manager only to be blacklisted, you will dissuade qualified applicants from coming on board. Also, senior leadership should incorporate round table discussions with employees at the lower levels because it is obvious that the more qualified staff are at the bottom and great ideas to help solve the company's numerous issues.

It's a woman's WORLD

Claims Analyst (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

Prosflex time, and make up time

Consyou better be a female

Advice to Senior Managementits going to eventually catch up to you by not picking the qualified candidite

Awesome!

ProsWork from home set my schedule as I needed, no micromanaging

ConsLots of knee jerking when is was not necessary, needs a little better planning

The Devil Wears Prada

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsShort drive to work was nice.

ConsToo many to mention but I will name a few.

My manager had no idea how to do my job. I was also told not to ask anyone for help when she couldn't answer my questions.

This is a professional environment with exempt employees. However, employees are treated like first graders and are instructed to not have personal conversations. That is virtually impossible when you sit across from someone in a cubicle.

Any employee can spend 2-4 hours per day on phone meetings but will not be issued a headset or be allowed to use the speakerphone. That is physically painful.

Ergonomics is non-existent, and this is a healthcare company!

When an offer is made, you are told you will spend the first week training. That is not true.

They have some nice online courses you can take, but they must be taken on your own time after work. No laptop is provided, so if you want to learn you have to try to figure out how to work late in an unsafe area alone.

The job description does not match the job you are asked to do.

Managers yell loudly at employees when things don't go their way. Nobody is perfect. And by the way, if managers would read their email they might find out things they wouldn't have to yell about.

Email is a good way to communicate and follow up on meetings. It is also a good backup (CYA) for due dates, duties, etc. My manager said not to send her emails like that.

There was no backup for this position, so while it's ice to have 4 weeks vacation in a year it's impossible to get those days off.

This job was a set up for failure from the beginning. How do these people sleep at night?

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to spend time with employees and learn how to do what they do. Listen to your employees when they have questions, suggestions, or ask for hardware, software, etc. that will increase productivity.

It's not necessary to micromanage someone with a master's degree and more experience than you have, especially when you have no clue how to do your employee's job.

I love the work that I do

Grand Prairie, TX

ProsAmerigroup provides many types of services to members who really need assistance
    Amerigroup allows associates to telecommute
    Amerigroup has very good values

ConsAmerigroup is a little behind the time with technology
    Amerigroup's UPPER management has made decisions/changes about processes without asking the people who do it everyday

Advice to Senior Managementsee cons

Great experience

Credentialing Specialist II (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat management team, adjustable hours, competitive pay, gym available for employees, great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch.

ConsParking was never good for employees who came in late.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amerigroup reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson. All 108 reviews posted anonymously by Amerigroup employees.