Amerigroup

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson

Jim Carlson

Pros
  • Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people(in 7 reviews)

• Not enough work from home opportunities(in 4 reviews)

The Devil Wears Prada

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsShort drive to work was nice.

ConsToo many to mention but I will name a few.

My manager had no idea how to do my job. I was also told not to ask anyone for help when she couldn't answer my questions.

This is a professional environment with exempt employees. However, employees are treated like first graders and are instructed to not have personal conversations. That is virtually impossible when you sit across from someone in a cubicle.

Any employee can spend 2-4 hours per day on phone meetings but will not be issued a headset or be allowed to use the speakerphone. That is physically painful.

Ergonomics is non-existent, and this is a healthcare company!

When an offer is made, you are told you will spend the first week training. That is not true.

They have some nice online courses you can take, but they must be taken on your own time after work. No laptop is provided, so if you want to learn you have to try to figure out how to work late in an unsafe area alone.

The job description does not match the job you are asked to do.

Managers yell loudly at employees when things don't go their way. Nobody is perfect. And by the way, if managers would read their email they might find out things they wouldn't have to yell about.

Email is a good way to communicate and follow up on meetings. It is also a good backup (CYA) for due dates, duties, etc. My manager said not to send her emails like that.

There was no backup for this position, so while it's ice to have 4 weeks vacation in a year it's impossible to get those days off.

This job was a set up for failure from the beginning. How do these people sleep at night?

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to spend time with employees and learn how to do what they do. Listen to your employees when they have questions, suggestions, or ask for hardware, software, etc. that will increase productivity.

It's not necessary to micromanage someone with a master's degree and more experience than you have, especially when you have no clue how to do your employee's job.

I love the work that I do

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Prairie, TX

ProsAmerigroup provides many types of services to members who really need assistance
    Amerigroup allows associates to telecommute
    Amerigroup has very good values

ConsAmerigroup is a little behind the time with technology
    Amerigroup's UPPER management has made decisions/changes about processes without asking the people who do it everyday

Advice to Senior Managementsee cons

Great experience

Credentialing Specialist II (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat management team, adjustable hours, competitive pay, gym available for employees, great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch.

ConsParking was never good for employees who came in late.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mean Girls

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe benefits were good. You'll need them for the mental health issues you will be dealing with once you are there for a little while.

ConsIt's like being in High School. If you aren't part of the popular click, you will get talked about and picked on. Some managers and directors are so afraid of being "found out" as poor employees that they try to take you down with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of the people that work under you. It's like some managers and directors are the puppetmasters there. They get away with too much! I hope the merger will weed out the bad seeds,

The best company I've ever worked for.

Field Service Technician (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsPositive and friendly atmosphere up until mid-level, don't interact with the top tiers so can't comment.
    Inhouse breakfast and lunch facilities at most corporate sites, which while pricy, are pretty high quality.
    Company gym at corporate location.
    Payscale is competitive with government positions for the same fields.
    Overtime always available, in excess of the mandatory overtime.

ConsContractors rarely make the jump to employees, and will be baited along with the promise of a permanent position for years.
    Interdepartmental promotion within IT subsections is actively denied, to retain talent in low-tier positions.
    Mandatory overtime.

.....

Prosglad to have a job

Conshard to move into different positions if you don't know the right people

Room to grow

ITS Testing Analyst I (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat benefits, paid holidays and vacations. Can move up quickly. Was able to work from home.

ConsNo sick pay, must use vacation hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't worry so much about about numbers worry about quality.

A Turn for the Worst

Senior Claims Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsNew Building, New positions, New equipment

ConsNew leaders who wanted to do become innovative but somehow missed the mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not sale the dreams create them

Couldn't ask for a better place to work!

ProsI work at one of the Amerigroup Texas plans, and thus far, at our plan, we are very supportive of each other. The overall morale in our plan is positive, we feel good knowing that we make a difference in our member's lives. The majority of us value our positions with Amerigroup, and know that we are fortunate to be in our current roles. I've had jobs that I truly dreaded reporting to work to each day, however, the atmosphere is positive, very family oriented. For the most part, we are allowed flexibility in our work schedule, with many of our associates working from home as teleworkers, and others working from home one day a week.

ConsIf I had to list a 'con', perhaps that we need more office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support your associates and listen to their suggestions or concerns, as they are the ones who make you shine in your position!

Ever Been Bullied? If you work for the GA Health Plan there is no way out!!!....

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsA desk behind the glass door if you're willing to participate in bullying and micromanaging the staff.
    Occasional working from home as a manager.
    A chance to get some relief from the hostile work environment by participating in community outreach events in which the plan members are greatly appreciative.
    Extra bonus $$$ if you're in the "clique"

ConsWork at home employees and first line managers you are being watched closely by big brother/big sister. Their paying your cellphone bill for a reason.
    Senior leadership has historically prevented employees from transferring to other departments in addition to outside organizations. It's called blacklisting.
    Do not take any extended time off, even if you're pregnant

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending time and resources on stalking employees. Instead help them to become more effective by providing the necessary resources so that they contribute to the success of the organization.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!