Amerigroup

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson

Jim Carlson

Pros:
  • "Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "self - discipline environment, challenging work environment, rewards for hard work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Not enough work from home opportunities"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience

Credentialing Specialist II (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat management team, adjustable hours, competitive pay, gym available for employees, great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch.

ConsParking was never good for employees who came in late.

The best company I've ever worked for.

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsPositive and friendly atmosphere up until mid-level, don't interact with the top tiers so can't comment.
    Inhouse breakfast and lunch facilities at most corporate sites, which while pricy, are pretty high quality.
    Company gym at corporate location.
    Payscale is competitive with government positions for the same fields.
    Overtime always available, in excess of the mandatory overtime.

ConsContractors rarely make the jump to employees, and will be baited along with the promise of a permanent position for years.
    Interdepartmental promotion within IT subsections is actively denied, to retain talent in low-tier positions.
    Mandatory overtime.

.....

Prosglad to have a job

Conshard to move into different positions if you don't know the right people

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mean Girls

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe benefits were good. You'll need them for the mental health issues you will be dealing with once you are there for a little while.

ConsIt's like being in High School. If you aren't part of the popular click, you will get talked about and picked on. Some managers and directors are so afraid of being "found out" as poor employees that they try to take you down with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of the people that work under you. It's like some managers and directors are the puppetmasters there. They get away with too much! I hope the merger will weed out the bad seeds,

A Turn for the Worst

Senior Claims Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNew Building, New positions, New equipment

ConsNew leaders who wanted to do become innovative but somehow missed the mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not sale the dreams create them

Room to grow

ITS Testing Analyst I (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsGreat benefits, paid holidays and vacations. Can move up quickly. Was able to work from home.

ConsNo sick pay, must use vacation hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't worry so much about about numbers worry about quality.

Couldn't ask for a better place to work!

ProsI work at one of the Amerigroup Texas plans, and thus far, at our plan, we are very supportive of each other. The overall morale in our plan is positive, we feel good knowing that we make a difference in our member's lives. The majority of us value our positions with Amerigroup, and know that we are fortunate to be in our current roles. I've had jobs that I truly dreaded reporting to work to each day, however, the atmosphere is positive, very family oriented. For the most part, we are allowed flexibility in our work schedule, with many of our associates working from home as teleworkers, and others working from home one day a week.

ConsIf I had to list a 'con', perhaps that we need more office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support your associates and listen to their suggestions or concerns, as they are the ones who make you shine in your position!

Ever Been Bullied? If you work for the GA Health Plan there is no way out!!!....

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsA desk behind the glass door if you're willing to participate in bullying and micromanaging the staff.
    Occasional working from home as a manager.
    A chance to get some relief from the hostile work environment by participating in community outreach events in which the plan members are greatly appreciative.
    Extra bonus $$$ if you're in the "clique"

ConsWork at home employees and first line managers you are being watched closely by big brother/big sister. Their paying your cellphone bill for a reason.
    Senior leadership has historically prevented employees from transferring to other departments in addition to outside organizations. It's called blacklisting.
    Do not take any extended time off, even if you're pregnant

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending time and resources on stalking employees. Instead help them to become more effective by providing the necessary resources so that they contribute to the success of the organization.

Avoid Nashville At All Costs

Nashville, TN

ProsMission to help Medicaid patients; dedicated, committed hard working co-workers

ConsUnbelievably bad upper leadership - Provider Relations, Operations, Quality, COO . I'm amazed that the TN health plan manages to make a profit. The provider community detests this company, the customer service is horrible, there is no accountability and staff are looking for jobs to get out of this hostile work environment created by several overpaid, usually absent vice presidents. It isn't how much you know, how hard you work; it is how good you are at playing the game and tattling. Worst company I've worked for in regard to HR won't do anything about the continuing hostile work environment. Several VPs manage by intimidation. It could be a great company but unless Wellpoint takes a hard look and cleans house, it will continue to decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a COO who actually understands business principles instead of an affirmative action LPN who is cronies with TennCare employees. Hold your double standard, back stabbing VPs accountable for the bottom line and stop allowing them to blame the good managers they drive out for all the mistakes and messes that continue. Recognize the hard work your worker bees do and stop listening the bitchy little mean girls you call your Vice Presidents because they are all out of touch and too busy creating silos with their infighting.

Too blessed to be stressed with Amerigroup's foolishness.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsHired contract nurses with common sense.

ConsExtremely unorganized and very stressful. Managers micro-manage and are very wishy-washy. No "teamwork".

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscontinue micro-managing employees. Brush up on your leadership and management skills.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amerigroup reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Amerigroup employees.