Amerigroup Reviews

Updated August 10, 2014

2.7

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson
Jim Carlson

Pros
  • Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough work from home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, management could be better

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Purpose served and people were the plus

Cons

Management has their heads in the cloud

Get a clue, it's not you that makes the company what it is it is the people

Wonderful company with tremendous growth possibilities

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although this company is now WellPoint, it is still a great company. Pay is great, bonuses, flexibility, some telecommuting opportunities, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Personal con is that my healthcare provider was not on the in-network list. Not sure if the health coverage has gotten better since I was there a few years ago. Main con is very long hours in some depts.

Listen to everyone. I went to HR about my manager several times as he was doing personal business 85% of the time he was to be working, yet claiming he did all the work he had pawned off on the lower staff. They never investigated him until after I quit (and reminded them during my exit interview).

Not My Favorite Job

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits were better than with some companies I've worked at.

Cons

Management didn't care about their employees. I

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HORRID PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker.
    Some of the associates are hardworking and truly dedicated to serving the Medicaid population.
    Office space is nice (however, cubicles assigned to the "minions" aren't big enough).
    For those who are "office-based," very up-to-date with technology & very nice computer monitors.
    Lots of opportunity for "on-line" learning to learn/improve skills.

Cons

President is a micro-managing control-freak with trust issues who has ZERO communication skills. Her style of management is that of intimidation and fear. She does not trust anyone but a very few who are at her beck and call and don't have the balls to speak up or go against her opinion (which is not always right contrary to what she believes). She tries hard to mask what she truly is, but does a very poor job.

Almost every department at this office is under a "Corrective Action Plan" which aims to correct issues. While AGP (Amerigroup) has been in the KS market for almost two years, they still have not managed to define processes or adhere to the processes that are in place. It is true that they rely on an offsite "team" in Virginia Beach, VA who's resources are stretched thin and who don't fully understand the KS market, yet they continue to try to introduce more and more programs to appease the State.

The dog and pony show that is put on when the State visits the office for audits or readiness reviews is beyond ridiculous.

There is a high turnover rate at this office - people are quitting (or being terminated) left and right.
    Kansas is an "at will" State, so AGP can and will fire you FOR NO REASON and still be justified.

Raise. What raise? This company lost big money during their first year of operation so don't look forward to a decent raise, no matter how well a performer you are.

AGP values their employees so much, they have a committee that puts on events to raise money so employees can have fun activities. For the Holiday Celebration 2013, lunch was catered by Cinzetti's, but they sill asked employees to bring a dish. SO TACKY.

Lastly, they talk the talk, but do not walk the walk when it comes to their core values.

For the most part, the leadership team is weak - only because the President does not allow healthy dialogue and exchange of ideas at leadership meetings. Mrs. President, stop yelling at your team and speaking to them in a condescending manner.

Things were good before WellPoint

I have been working at Amerigroup

Pros

Great place to get valuable work experience in Medicaid. Given a lot of responsibility and get to work on lots of different things. The people are great (non-management level).

Cons

A lot of nepotism going on. Have noticed a big change in culture since merger. Overworked and underpaid.

CEO will be the downfall of this company

Former Employee - Manager  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for entry level people wanting to get into managed care. Employees are dedicated to the Medicaid population at all levels.

Cons

Employees aren't valued for their experience, initiative or hard work by senior management. Little, if any, flexibility in schedules and no work at home opportunities. Senior management is excessively controlling and stifles creative thinking. In spite of this many employees continue to focus on the member and receive personal rewards for a job well done.

Management needs to acknowledge the abundance of talent within the organization and foster this. Loosen the reigns and allow decision isn't making throughout middle management. Treat your employees with the respect they deserve- not just your favored departments

It was good before merger with WellPoint.

I have been working at Amerigroup

Pros

Ability to work from home when sick was great. A good company to work for before merger with WellPoint. Benefits are decent

Cons

Upper Mgmt sometimes show favoritism for their friends, if you are not in the clique you get treated differently. HR personnel not friendly or helpful. Easy to be blackballed. Can be a hostile environment dealing with upper mgmt. Don't have a voice. No real loyalty to good employees.

Need Change in every aspect of dealing with coworkers.

NCC

Current Employee - Nurse  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They pay dbl time and a half on holidays

Cons

No chance for advancement. You are better off going elsewhere.. To much favoritism and due to this, I find it a hostile environment. LPNs supervising RNs. LPNs making more money than some RNs. High turn over rate. High firing rate. It's sad because I see a lot of good people leaving everyday.

No comment... management only looking out for themselves and you are just a number. Can never change that with this company.

Confusion

Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brand new office, up-to-date technology, in the business of helping people while saving the State money on it's Medicaid program.

Cons

Little to no control over processes as most everything is handled by a "team" at the Corporate office. President is a micro-manager who has poor business etiquette and only trusts a few within the local leadership team. VERY POOR raises, even if you are considered a "top performer."

Worst job ever

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

getting a paycheck that does not bounce.

Cons

no growth opportunities
    cannot get answers/no one wants to assist you
    Too much work, not enough staff
    benefits cost way too high.
    Very difficult to do business with

Stop looking though your rose-colored glasses .Get out into the real world and see what we face everyday. Everything is urgent and rush stop what your doing this is more important , really someone tell us the priority.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!