Amerigroup

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson
Jim Carlson

Pros
  • Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough work from home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful company with tremendous growth possibilities

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although this company is now WellPoint, it is still a great company. Pay is great, bonuses, flexibility, some telecommuting opportunities, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Personal con is that my healthcare provider was not on the in-network list. Not sure if the health coverage has gotten better since I was there a few years ago. Main con is very long hours in some depts.

Listen to everyone. I went to HR about my manager several times as he was doing personal business 85% of the time he was to be working, yet claiming he did all the work he had pawned off on the lower staff. They never investigated him until after I quit (and reminded them during my exit interview).

Great company filled with exceptional people

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No shortage of work so you will never be bored; Great work environment, filled with highly intelligent and hard-working people. Benefits are also very good.

Cons

There are some growing pains following the merger with WLP. At least on the Government Business side, the departments can seem under-staffed... many people work very long hours.

Great experience

Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist II  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Credentialing Specialist II in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management team, adjustable hours, competitive pay, gym available for employees, great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Parking was never good for employees who came in late.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive and friendly atmosphere up until mid-level, don't interact with the top tiers so can't comment.
    Inhouse breakfast and lunch facilities at most corporate sites, which while pricy, are pretty high quality.
    Company gym at corporate location.
    Payscale is competitive with government positions for the same fields.
    Overtime always available, in excess of the mandatory overtime.

Cons

Contractors rarely make the jump to employees, and will be baited along with the promise of a permanent position for years.
    Interdepartmental promotion within IT subsections is actively denied, to retain talent in low-tier positions.
    Mandatory overtime.

Couldn't ask for a better place to work!

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work at one of the Amerigroup Texas plans, and thus far, at our plan, we are very supportive of each other. The overall morale in our plan is positive, we feel good knowing that we make a difference in our member's lives. The majority of us value our positions with Amerigroup, and know that we are fortunate to be in our current roles. I've had jobs that I truly dreaded reporting to work to each day, however, the atmosphere is positive, very family oriented. For the most part, we are allowed flexibility in our work schedule, with many of our associates working from home as teleworkers, and others working from home one day a week.

Cons

If I had to list a 'con', perhaps that we need more office space.

Continue to support your associates and listen to their suggestions or concerns, as they are the ones who make you shine in your position!

Amerigroup is an amazing company that really lives their mission and vision

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company feels like a huge family.
    Employees are listened to when change is needed and are included in the change process.
    Leadership is involved on all levels, has open door policies, and it's not uncommon to see the CEO walking around and stopping by your desk during the day to see how you are doing.
    A good work ethic is rewarded with awards, acknowledgements, surprise parties and monetary bonuses.
    I can't say enough about this MCO because they truly have a heart and want to ensure that their members get the care that they need. Plan on retiring here as long as they will keep me. :)

Cons

Some departments could really use additional staff and as the company continues to grow I'm sure this will happen.

Continue doing what you are doing. Continue making employees at all levels a part of the decision making and letting them (us) know that we are appreciated. Definitely never change your Vision and Mission.

Awesome

Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work, family and community outreach.

Cons

Overwhelming at times, but great.

Keep up the good work.

Excellent salary, benefits and true to their mission to help the most vulnerable population in healthcare.

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

The ability to be a telecommuter and be compensated well if you work hard and meet your deadlines. Your manager and direct co-workers have a hugh impact re: your job satisfaction. If you love what you do at Amerigroup, then you have a perfect job.

Cons

If you are a Care Coordinator, you work at the least a 50 hour week, but most likely to meet your deadlines, you end out working 60-70 hours per week. Stress Management skills are key to surviving in this position.

Listen to the people working on the front lines and respect what they have to say.

Great mission, great people, great outcomes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup

Pros

Management and associates embody the mission of caring for those who need a little help. Dynamic company with lots of growth.

Cons

A lot is expected of everyone in growth projections. Political environment, the election, budget shortfalls and the supreme court adds uncertainty.

Keep the focus on the mission. The attention given to quality over the past few years is making a difference and makes associates even prouder to work here.

A very positive experience based on the individual's strong work values and cultural diversity.

Former Employee - Field Sales & Marketing
    Former Employee - Field Sales & Marketing

I worked at Amerigroup

Pros

People focused organization( also depends on specific state location for mix of line/staff mgmt) from a mgr/supv perspective with snr mgmt regularly requesting constructive employee feedback based on concrete issues. Very respectful of employee family needs and requirements for best workplace success.

Cons

Job advancement not always based on best qualified candidate, but on popularity with mgmt.
    Internal advancement is somewhat biased by the perception(s)that mgmt.has made on where they
    see you positioned.

There is a need for various leadership to be refreshed with formal, ongoing training in areas such as interpersonal skills, employee development, true mentoring, etc.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!