Amerigroup

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson
Jim Carlson

Pros
  • Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough work from home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive so far. Wish I would have negotiated a better salary up front.

Current Employee - LTSS Care Coordinator  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - LTSS Care Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility of schedule somewhat. Work from home. Nice team of people.

Cons

Very high case load. Must find someone to cover for you if wanting time off. SHould have asked for more money.

Work on procedural processes. Organize better.

Make sure you are "friends" with the right people and you'll do well

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Generous time off policy but......see below
    *Nice office and equipment
    *Opportunities for advancement do exist
    *It is rewarding to help our members

Cons

**Management plays favorites ----for example in our call center environment some employees are assigned to work on "projects" and low volume call queues while the other employees answer the majority of the calls. It all depends on who you are friends with.
    **Fairly generous time off policy however with the restrictions and "black out" days you are never allowed to take your days off.
    **Absolutely no work/life balance here

*Make friends outside the office and stop letting your personal preferences influence your professional decisions.

Horrible

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Amerigroup

Pros

No weekends. Cafe on site

Cons

the hours suck..pay is lousy

Spend a day in your employees role and maybe you can make better decisions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Contract postition

Former Employee - HEDIS
    Former Employee - HEDIS

I worked at Amerigroup as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good Training, flexible time off if told up front at hiring, good pay, nice people to work with, gave incentives for good work

Cons

Disorganized leadership at the corporate level. Constant changes during contract term

Great people, management could be better

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Purpose served and people were the plus

Cons

Management has their heads in the cloud

Get a clue, it's not you that makes the company what it is it is the people

Wonderful company with tremendous growth possibilities

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although this company is now WellPoint, it is still a great company. Pay is great, bonuses, flexibility, some telecommuting opportunities, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Personal con is that my healthcare provider was not on the in-network list. Not sure if the health coverage has gotten better since I was there a few years ago. Main con is very long hours in some depts.

Listen to everyone. I went to HR about my manager several times as he was doing personal business 85% of the time he was to be working, yet claiming he did all the work he had pawned off on the lower staff. They never investigated him until after I quit (and reminded them during my exit interview).

Not My Favorite Job

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits were better than with some companies I've worked at.

Cons

Management didn't care about their employees. I

HORRID PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker.
    Some of the associates are hardworking and truly dedicated to serving the Medicaid population.
    Office space is nice (however, cubicles assigned to the "minions" aren't big enough).
    For those who are "office-based," very up-to-date with technology & very nice computer monitors.
    Lots of opportunity for "on-line" learning to learn/improve skills.

Cons

President is a micro-managing control-freak with trust issues who has ZERO communication skills. Her style of management is that of intimidation and fear. She does not trust anyone but a very few who are at her beck and call and don't have the balls to speak up or go against her opinion (which is not always right contrary to what she believes). She tries hard to mask what she truly is, but does a very poor job.

Almost every department at this office is under a "Corrective Action Plan" which aims to correct issues. While AGP (Amerigroup) has been in the KS market for almost two years, they still have not managed to define processes or adhere to the processes that are in place. It is true that they rely on an offsite "team" in Virginia Beach, VA who's resources are stretched thin and who don't fully understand the KS market, yet they continue to try to introduce more and more programs to appease the State.

The dog and pony show that is put on when the State visits the office for audits or readiness reviews is beyond ridiculous.

There is a high turnover rate at this office - people are quitting (or being terminated) left and right.
    Kansas is an "at will" State, so AGP can and will fire you FOR NO REASON and still be justified.

Raise. What raise? This company lost big money during their first year of operation so don't look forward to a decent raise, no matter how well a performer you are.

AGP values their employees so much, they have a committee that puts on events to raise money so employees can have fun activities. For the Holiday Celebration 2013, lunch was catered by Cinzetti's, but they sill asked employees to bring a dish. SO TACKY.

Lastly, they talk the talk, but do not walk the walk when it comes to their core values.

For the most part, the leadership team is weak - only because the President does not allow healthy dialogue and exchange of ideas at leadership meetings. Mrs. President, stop yelling at your team and speaking to them in a condescending manner.

Things were good before WellPoint

I have been working at Amerigroup

Pros

Great place to get valuable work experience in Medicaid. Given a lot of responsibility and get to work on lots of different things. The people are great (non-management level).

Cons

A lot of nepotism going on. Have noticed a big change in culture since merger. Overworked and underpaid.

CEO will be the downfall of this company

Former Employee - Manager  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for entry level people wanting to get into managed care. Employees are dedicated to the Medicaid population at all levels.

Cons

Employees aren't valued for their experience, initiative or hard work by senior management. Little, if any, flexibility in schedules and no work at home opportunities. Senior management is excessively controlling and stifles creative thinking. In spite of this many employees continue to focus on the member and receive personal rewards for a job well done.

Management needs to acknowledge the abundance of talent within the organization and foster this. Loosen the reigns and allow decision isn't making throughout middle management. Treat your employees with the respect they deserve- not just your favored departments

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!