Amerigroup Reviews

Updated August 10, 2014

2.7

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson
Jim Carlson

Pros
  • Good organization to work for in terms of being creative and work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home ONLY if you are not an "office-based" worker (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a challenge for work-life balance: too much work and not enough people (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough work from home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Couldn't ask for a better place to work!

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work at one of the Amerigroup Texas plans, and thus far, at our plan, we are very supportive of each other. The overall morale in our plan is positive, we feel good knowing that we make a difference in our member's lives. The majority of us value our positions with Amerigroup, and know that we are fortunate to be in our current roles. I've had jobs that I truly dreaded reporting to work to each day, however, the atmosphere is positive, very family oriented. For the most part, we are allowed flexibility in our work schedule, with many of our associates working from home as teleworkers, and others working from home one day a week.

Cons

If I had to list a 'con', perhaps that we need more office space.

Continue to support your associates and listen to their suggestions or concerns, as they are the ones who make you shine in your position!

Ever Been Bullied? If you work for the GA Health Plan there is no way out!!!....

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

A desk behind the glass door if you're willing to participate in bullying and micromanaging the staff.
    Occasional working from home as a manager.
    A chance to get some relief from the hostile work environment by participating in community outreach events in which the plan members are greatly appreciative.
    Extra bonus $$$ if you're in the "clique"

Cons

Work at home employees and first line managers you are being watched closely by big brother/big sister. Their paying your cellphone bill for a reason.
    Senior leadership has historically prevented employees from transferring to other departments in addition to outside organizations. It's called blacklisting.
    Do not take any extended time off, even if you're pregnant

Stop spending time and resources on stalking employees. Instead help them to become more effective by providing the necessary resources so that they contribute to the success of the organization.

Avoid Nashville At All Costs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission to help Medicaid patients; dedicated, committed hard working co-workers

Cons

Unbelievably bad upper leadership - Provider Relations, Operations, Quality, COO . I'm amazed that the TN health plan manages to make a profit. The provider community detests this company, the customer service is horrible, there is no accountability and staff are looking for jobs to get out of this hostile work environment created by several overpaid, usually absent vice presidents. It isn't how much you know, how hard you work; it is how good you are at playing the game and tattling. Worst company I've worked for in regard to HR won't do anything about the continuing hostile work environment. Several VPs manage by intimidation. It could be a great company but unless Wellpoint takes a hard look and cleans house, it will continue to decline.

Get a COO who actually understands business principles instead of an affirmative action LPN who is cronies with TennCare employees. Hold your double standard, back stabbing VPs accountable for the bottom line and stop allowing them to blame the good managers they drive out for all the mistakes and messes that continue. Recognize the hard work your worker bees do and stop listening the bitchy little mean girls you call your Vice Presidents because they are all out of touch and too busy creating silos with their infighting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too blessed to be stressed with Amerigroup's foolishness.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Amerigroup as a contractor

Pros

Hired contract nurses with common sense.

Cons

Extremely unorganized and very stressful. Managers micro-manage and are very wishy-washy. No "teamwork".

Discontinue micro-managing employees. Brush up on your leadership and management skills.

Good company with good compensation

Former Employee - Manager  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary with decent work/life balance. The bonus incentive is tied to company performance. Company was doing well, so bonus paid out at over 100%.

Cons

Don't promote current employees. Company would choose to hire externally rather than promote current employees in many cases. Also, should allow opportunity to telecommute to more employees.

Promote from within

Legacy company great to work for...post merger, hopeful.

Current Employee - Not Management  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Not Management in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture to work in. Benefits, pay very good. This isn't just a job - I greatly enjoy feeling that my work makes a difference to our members. Fast-paced, high energy environment, but allows for family balance. Telecommuting options are nice to have, even when not daily.

Cons

In some areas, management (Directors) do not always seem to have leadership skills or the ability to manage people and get rewarded for having others do their work. Senior management (VP/SVP) either does not recognize or look the other way to address issues and Exec management appear to be too high up to see what is really going on.

With the new WellPoint management coming into place, I hope they take a close look at ground floor and not discount the managers, admins, coordinators etc. and see the value that many of us have. Outsourcing may be cost effective in some areas, but investing in dedicated employees adds higher value to company overall.

It is a good place to work

Current Employee - Cusomer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cusomer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for less than a year

Pros

Freedom to mold your own job path

Cons

Nothing at this moment is a con

Very bureaucratic. It's all about who you know, not what you know.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best employers in the area for salary and benefits. Although, that is not saying much.

Cons

Management is not very diverse. Talent and intelligence not valued. Opportunities are few once you reach a certain level, but plentiful for those that enter at the entry level.

Look for those with talent, not only the ones that you're willing to go out to lunch with.

10 Years and couldn't make a career out of it...

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company offers growth opportunities to who it wants. Was great when it was a private company and fairly new. Great people worked there who wanted to teach associates and help them expand their knowledge.

Cons

Became publicly traded and went from sugar to .... Now it is a company owned by WellPoint and full of politicians and pretenders who sit behind desks screaming about things like Customer Centricity and Work Life balance because it sounds good and wins elections, not because it's what they actually practice.

Stop playing politics with people's lives. Learn that you are in a business that has a profound effect on lives. Changes in public policy and your desire to keep padding your pockets shouldn't undercut the very thing that you claim to be in business for. Hire managers who can get into the trenches and do the work of the people they terrorize (us lowly line staff members). No one knows better about what goes on and how things ought to get done than the ones actually doing the work. A degree, an Amex, and a friend in a high position shouldn't equal job opportunity.

Overall great company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good work, nice location and good pay\benefits.

Cons

Too many VP's and AVP's. Communication between departments can be frustrating.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!