Amerigroup

Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson

Jim Carlson

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management

Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee)

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pay is excellent and the co-workers and peers are exceptionally well educated.. Get along with all employed...

ConsDon't care about the well being and health of their employee and very unreasonable expectations dictated by leadership with lttle or no actual experience.. Let the provider talk to associates any kind of way ...

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice have their picks..

HORRENDOUS turn and burn company

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge, nice pay, nice work environment

ConsOVERWORK and unrealistic expectations, and HORRIBLE life balance issues

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your skilled employees and stop listening to yourself ONLY. They only care about quantity,making more money and could care less about life balance as long as your goals are met. You push back, they'll tell you really quickly theres a line of people waiting to do what you wont.

Depends on what team you are in.

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat overall company. Pays well above average compared to other companies locally. Good benefits.

ConsTeam leaders are in it for themselves. Not genuine with their subordinates. Review process is just to show that paperwork was done, not truly evaluating the person's capabilities. Favoritism definitely exists. Cronies of management go up faster in the ladder.Also, lots of inefficient systems with overlapping functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange review process so it would truly evaluate a person's accomplishments.

Overall, was a decent place to work.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork-Life Balance and Benefits were good.

ConsConstant change within organization without much communication.

Integrating with WellPoint with mixed results

Business Change Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge, stable company with some opportunities for advancement and growth in some areas of the business.

ConsThe massive bureaucracy that comes with such a large organization, and the need for politicking and maneuvering to find opportunity.

Nurses-Do Not Pass GO!!!

Case Manager, RN (Former Employee)

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat learning opportunities through Amerigroup University; short commute time; great diversity as seen in the large number of minorities and women who are in leadership positions; staggered scheduling.

ConsToo many to list, but here are the major ones: No formal training for the department; Manager was vastly inexperienced and micromanaged everyone; VP was not approachable; Very clique oriented, if you aren't in the cool kids group you are out; managers pick and choose who they speak to; managers listening to phone calls and policing emails; employees are discouraged from interacting with others outside their team and at times within the team; no work from home opportunity unless the department is way behind; HR staff not available for conflict resolution between employees and managers; lack of leadership and ingenuity from managers; unprofessional dress attire by managers; IT systems do not complement one another; poorly written job aids and protocols.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore embarking on a new venture, please make sure you hire managers who have the education and experience to properly lead the department. When the employees have more experience than the manager and have consistently offered help and advice to the manager only to be blacklisted, you will dissuade qualified applicants from coming on board. Also, senior leadership should incorporate round table discussions with employees at the lower levels because it is obvious that the more qualified staff are at the bottom and great ideas to help solve the company's numerous issues.

Mean Girls

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for less than a year

ProsThe benefits were good. You'll need them for the mental health issues you will be dealing with once you are there for a little while.

ConsIt's like being in High School. If you aren't part of the popular click, you will get talked about and picked on. Some managers and directors are so afraid of being "found out" as poor employees that they try to take you down with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of the people that work under you. It's like some managers and directors are the puppetmasters there. They get away with too much! I hope the merger will weed out the bad seeds,

The best company I've ever worked for.

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

ProsPositive and friendly atmosphere up until mid-level, don't interact with the top tiers so can't comment.
Inhouse breakfast and lunch facilities at most corporate sites, which while pricy, are pretty high quality.
Company gym at corporate location.
Payscale is competitive with government positions for the same fields.
Overtime always available, in excess of the mandatory overtime.

ConsContractors rarely make the jump to employees, and will be baited along with the promise of a permanent position for years.
Interdepartmental promotion within IT subsections is actively denied, to retain talent in low-tier positions.
Mandatory overtime.

Good company with good compensation

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary with decent work/life balance. The bonus incentive is tied to company performance. Company was doing well, so bonus paid out at over 100%.

ConsDon't promote current employees. Company would choose to hire externally rather than promote current employees in many cases. Also, should allow opportunity to telecommute to more employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

Legacy company great to work for...post merger, hopeful.

Not Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amerigroup full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic culture to work in. Benefits, pay very good. This isn't just a job - I greatly enjoy feeling that my work makes a difference to our members. Fast-paced, high energy environment, but allows for family balance. Telecommuting options are nice to have, even when not daily.

ConsIn some areas, management (Directors) do not always seem to have leadership skills or the ability to manage people and get rewarded for having others do their work. Senior management (VP/SVP) either does not recognize or look the other way to address issues and Exec management appear to be too high up to see what is really going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the new WellPoint management coming into place, I hope they take a close look at ground floor and not discount the managers, admins, coordinators etc. and see the value that many of us have. Outsourcing may be cost effective in some areas, but investing in dedicated employees adds higher value to company overall.

Worked for Amerigroup? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amerigroup reviews and ratings in Virginia Beach, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amerigroup CEO Jim Carlson. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Amerigroup employees.