Ameriprise Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Ameriprise Chairman & CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo

Pros
  • Wonderful person who values work-life balance and wants to compensate me fairly (in 35 reviews)

• Gained understanding of the financial planning industry (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved by moving afternoon shifts to morning (in 17 reviews)

• You will have to work long hours to meet the goals set for you (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great leadership training opportunity. Nice people to work with. Benefits are strong.

Cons

So many people stay with the company for the entire duration of their careers making it difficult to move up.

Continue to provide career growth opportunities to your entry level employee to maintain and attract new talent.

The best company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, great management team to work for. Ameriprise has an amazing culture in regards to there environment. It is a company with outstanding comradery and a team togetherness that I've never felt from any other company.

Cons

none great company absolutely no compliance thus far.

Continue to build the great culture that Ameriprise offer's and the company will continue to be one of the best companies to work for.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent company to work for

Cons

sometimes feel isolated, and disconnected

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Paraplanner
    Former Employee - Paraplanner

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training programs for systems and customer service from the home office. In the 21st century with their technology, many clients are tech savvy and appreciate this.

Cons

I worked in a branch and therefore was never able to visit the home office in MN. Would have liked to had assigned people in the home office that took care of our branch as opposed to getting a new person every time we had to call for assistance.

Very strong company financially

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time

Pros

Benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Company has strong ethical values, and makes certain these core values are exhibited in employees

Culture is a roadblock to success. Change the culture, and be more successful.

Very difficult to get going

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

The sales training is second to none and they provide opportunities for institutional advancement if you excess expectations.

Cons

They need a better compensation structure because advisors are forced to us commission-based products to keep up with quotas. They don't do what is best for the client, which creates and negative public image.

Pay higher salaries and create incentive to build a business

It was not a very good experience.

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Campbell, CA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn the basics of financial planning and do a lot of financial plans. It works best in theory but in practice you cannot make any amount of decent money doing plans. Salary of $ 36k to $ 39k is not at all appropriate to do business of financial planning.Good work culture and leadership but it is bent to give more opportunities to successful advisors only.

Cons

Training is good but again you are giving lots of time doing financial plans ( loss leader) and if you do not realize you may spend 2 to 3 years not getting paid or having any meaningful traction.Focus on insurance and managed money later. .....too much focus on disability insurance.....
    I would prefer to manage and gear myself to be an asset gatherer with AUM to sustain some business.....You are starving and cannot continue doing financial plans. As it is not the plans but what they lead to is important

Be realistic, give a decent salary to begin with....more partnerships with other advisors.Technology needs to be updated and also try to talk to advisors in the language of their clients like hi-tech engineers in valley need to be communicated differently. I guess compliance is the excuse there.
    Try to make the paper work less tedious for advisors especially new comers. Give some incentives in terms of lunch money etc to be able to spend for client events and not just do 10 plans and earn $ 200 or $ 250 bucks for lunch money.
    Help experience advisors hit the ground running.

Franchise of Ameriprise

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Franchises have the freedom & flexibility to create our own client service model, so each franchise will be different. If looking at joining a franchise, be sure to find one that is consistent with your professional goals & values. Team based working environment. Managing partners provide professional guidance.

Cons

Weekly technology issues, which was a corporate issue & not the franchise. Within franchises there can be conflicting messages regarding employee roles & responsibilities.

Increase involvement and/or awareness of how the company is being managed on a day to day basis, and how middle management is communicating with employees. Create a measurement of success for employees.

Bland

Former Employee - Financial Services  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are always fun and caring and sometimes laid back, which is nice. Strong company. Flexible hours.

Cons

I felt extremely undervalued here. They had a pretty intense interview session and they like picking top candidates for here, but I quickly came to realize the work was so mundane. For everyone in the office.

Basically, if you aren't the advisor yourself, you'll be stuck under someone who will make you do grunt work for the rest of your time there.

Provide an environment that allows your subordinates to grow and apply themselves

Working for Ameriprise was my first professional job out of college

Former Employee - Paraplanner  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Paraplanner in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good entry level opportunity to learn skills and get series 7 and 66 while being paid, pay was decent for the job you do, something good to put on your resume when you're right out of school. It's a very good company I just have a negative experience with this particular franchise office.

Cons

worked in a very small office.. 3 people including myself, my boss was creepy for lack of better terms and could get away with inappropriate conversation topics in such a small office; at will employment- meaning you can be fired for anything. If working for this company work for corporate office or a larger practice

Worked for Ameriprise? Contribute to the Community!