Ameriprise Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Ameriprise Chairman & CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo

Pros
  • Wonderful person who values work-life balance and wants to compensate me fairly (in 38 reviews)

• Great place to begin a career in financial planning because of the base salary (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved by moving afternoon shifts to morning (in 21 reviews)

• You will have to work long hours to meet the goals set for you (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Can be a good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Relatively good corporate culture.

Cons

No meritocracy, unfriendly to older workers, tough to find a good leader

Move the bad leaders out of people leadership positions.

Walk the talk on work/life balance.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A multifaceted environment that allows for learning many different things.

Cons

Juggling expenses and cost savings with staffing and productivity needs.

Decision-making takes longer than needed and the rationale for certain tasks directed do not always make sense.

Ameriprise: Hitting Its Stride Nicely

Current Employee - Corporate RP II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate RP II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for the company for 15 years in the Home Office. Most of my direct leaders (over a dozen of them by now) have been very good, and all have been reasonable to work for. My positions have afforded me good work/life balance and typically a 40-45 hour week, occasionally 50 hours. Corporate culture is excellent I'd say, with a heavy focus on volunteering/contributing to charitable organizations. Various employee groups/clubs feed employee interests and build a sense of community. The best part is the excellent senior leaders (no this is not a paid review-really). Since Ameriprise spun off from American Express 6 years ago, I have never had more confidence in the company, its direction, or its senior leadership. (I work a professional, but non-leadership job.) The company continues to execute very well against its strategy and leaders are hard working, thoughtful and anxious to make Ameriprise successful and a great place to work. I have met a lot of friends here over the years and feel comfortable that there is a job here for me for many years if I want it and keep working hard. That's a great feeling.

Cons

It's a large corporation and sometimes the focus of work can be very tight. There are many roles and functions and many can be interesting and challenging while others are much less so. You reap what you sow and what your skills and abilities allow for, I suppose.

Mostly small improvements/changes that I recommend to my direct leaders to help the company be successful. Senior leader management/execution is so strong over the past five or six years that I just do my best to stay out of the way and let them work.

Nice supportive people and relaxed professional environment.

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern

Pros

Very flexible work life and more laid back environment than other cut-throat firms. Gained a lot of experienced and knowledge while working there.

Cons

A lot of long annoying company training on company regulations, many of the things were common sense. I realize the need for it, but it could be condensed and streamlined.

At my position, my hours would change week to week depending on what is needed for clients. It would have been nicer to have a more stable work schedule.

Working at Ameriprise has been an excellent learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ameriprise as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

This internship is usually help by someone looking into joining the financial planning or a related field. The full time staff and managers all understand this and have given me their time, advice, and support throughout this internship.

Cons

This was a rather competitive work environment. While the competition is making me a better employee, it also allows for pockets of stress during the work day.

Great Company

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Flex time
    Nice co-workers
    Great benefits
    Company Values
    Work-life balance

Cons

They dont give promotions, even if you work your butt off to get them

Great place for those who are content to settle.

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Decent salary, benefits, and PTO.

Cons

Way too political and Minnesota passive-aggressive

Great Company and Opportunity. Management must improve Division's direction.

Former Employee - AAC Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - AAC Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great place to work if you are starting out in the business.
    - Provided all new employees with continuous training. (Heard it has changed from colleagues who are still there, 10/14)
    - Co-workers worked hard to achieve their goals, and were helpful when you experienced difficulties.
    - Many opportunities to work in different parts of the company, if you choose to.

Cons

Want to state that this is not a Branch office. This was an inside sales job in the corporate building. Keep that in mind when reading about my experience:
    - Too much turnover.
    - People were leaving or being let go, quicker than hiring allowed.
    - Quality of advice may have suffered because of that, which hurt brand's reputation.
    - Payouts do not reflect that of industry

- Stop changing the team structure.
    - Keep your best advisors happy so that they stay.
    - No need to have so many advisors. Better have 3 lions, than 50 sheep.

Stagnant

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time

Pros

Lots of good, smart people scattered through the company who care about the clients and the firm

Cons

Operating model is antiquated. No support for innovation or growth. Csuite involved in every little decision. Marketing used to be great, now it reports to finance and is only seen as an opportunity to cut not an engine to grow. Leaders spend all their time focused on beating each other, none thinking about beating the competition. Some departments can be tough for women.

Think beyond the next quarter. Things are changing very quickly. Stop pitting departments against one another and start focusing on how we can beat the competition. Hire a CMO.

OK experience

Former Employee - Associate Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Associate Financial Advisor

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide you with a wide variety of tools to work with and gain experience using. Wide range of products and services are offered to clients.

Cons

Not very supportive for someone who is young and trying to start off as a Financial Advisor. They focus more on the established advisor.

Provide more support to younger employees who want a career as a Financial Advisor