Ameriprise Reviews

Reset
3.4
Ameriprise Chairman & CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo

Pros
  • Good work life balance culture within the company (in 39 reviews)

• This internship is usually help by someone looking into joining the financial planning or a related field (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance - expect 60 (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours, no work life balance (in 19 reviews)

1. Ameriprise has opportunities for improvement, but overall I would recommend it.

Current Employee - Procurement in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Procurement in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The benefits and bonuses are good. The work / life balance is one of the best amongst the companies I've worked for. Amerprise is extremely flexible with my hours and schedule.

Cons

Communication could be better. Opportunities for advancement are few and far between. The company should allow more opportunites to work from home.

Advice to Management

Communicate more on the direction of the company. We hear from Jim C., but we don't hear from senior leaders that are closest to us on our goals or direction. Also, given the gas prices, Ameriprise should allow more employees to work from home.

2. Ameriprise Financial...a leader in the financial sector...what makes it one of the top employers?

Current Employee - Paraplanner in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Paraplanner in Rochester, MN

Pros

Ameriprise is an outstanding company. They are supportive in career advancement, provide a lot of continuing education opportunitie and are constantly investing in their employees in order to grow their company. We are quickly becoming a leader in the financial plannign world, due to our oustanding technology. Ameriprise is the recipient of several Dalbar awards as well. They pay is awesome, I can have time off pretty much wehenver I need it and everyone is like one big family. We work hard and play hard with a huge support system behind us. I coudln't think of a better corporation to work for, they are so motivating!

Cons

Nothing. The only downside of working for any large corporation is always having to be mindful of liability. When you are a huge billion dollar company, everyone has their "hand in your pocket" and wants to sue you, knowing you will settle out of court to avoid the costs of litigation, so you basically get robbed without merit.

Advice to Management

None, you are doing a great job :) Always advancing in technology and finding ways to improve service and the client experience.

3. It's a good place to start and you might just stay.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It's a flexible career which allows you to work as much or as little as you want. My favorite part is that you are able to build great relationships with clients that you like that can last a lifetime.

Cons

It's hard work and a lot of it. I would not recommend it if you have significant financial responsibilities or if you do not want to work long hours in the beginning. The fact that you do not have a big base means that you will likely not be sure how you are going to pay your bills.

Advice to Management

I think they have done a good job of raising standards and although it makes the job more difficult I think it is ultimately worth it.

Still a good place to work, after 17 years.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great people, a sense of mission, and a real concern for clients. Focus on ethical behavior. Minimal BS from most (not all) leaders.

Cons

Sometimes the maverick is not as appreciated as we mavericks might like! Diversity is seen as primarily a function of ethnicity and skin color, not as a function of different ways of thinking.

Advice to Management

Listen to the folks in the trenches - when they get worried, you should be too. They may not have all the answers, but they tend to have a pretty good finger on the pulse.

6. Great company to work for, with wonderful advancement oppotunities

Current Employee - National Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - National Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

This is a great company that has endless possibilities for advancement. Even in a poor economy there is little fear of downsizing. The company is buying other companies, and expanded.

Cons

There are some negative feelings about Ameriprise in the financial industry. These are opinions that have stuck around from the days when we were American Express. There were some poor decisions made in the past, and those have stuck with the company now, even though things now are much better

Advice to Management

none

7. Awesome company for a hard working individual and tremendous opportunity for success.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Conshohocken, PA

Pros

Career advnacement and ability to control your own destiny.

Cons

Its a challenging field in general, not just this company or position so be prepared to work hard.

Advice to Management

Continue to monitor effectiveness of field leaders.

8. Small Business Ownership is not for Everyone. You have to REALLY want it!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor, Franchise Owner in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor, Franchise Owner in Greensboro, NC

Pros

I don't actually work for Ameriprise. Ameriprise works for me. Once you become a franchise owner you are no different than any other business owner out in the world. If you have your head screwed on straight and pursue your goals and dreams you can make in incredible amount of money without taking advantage of clients.

Cons

Building an indepenent small business is EXTREMELY difficult, takes a lot of time, money, resources, emotional intelligence, and determination. Ameriprise can't provide that for you. My only wish would be for advisors to be able to come in under an existing franchise owner rather than an advisor-employee. The structure prior to franchise owner needs improved.

Advice to Management

As a franchise owner Senior Management is the best in the country. You cannot say the same for those who start as advisor employees. Their management is very different.

9. Ameriprise is a very good place to work, and they've stayed pretty much scandal-free.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Ameriprise has great benefits and they start at the first day of work. The benefits have always been my favorite park of working there. Also, they do give regular raises, bonuses, profit sharing each year. They haven't been involved in the horrible mess as many other financial firms have. I'd say it's definitely a great place to work.

Cons

They had done a lot of offshoring jobs to India and the Phillipines and jobs. People who'd worked there for 30+ years or so were just told their jobs were gone. They do have a decent severance package though. But, I think they went too gung-ho in the offshoring and it really affected customer quality. So much so that they are moving many customer service phone jobs back to Mpls to improve their quality of service. The language barriers were difficult to deal with, from what advisors and clients have told us.

Advice to Management

Start to focus more on customer service and less on saving money by offshoring.

10. A great place to lauch a career in the financial industry

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Ameriprise Financial is a growing company that has a found a good nitch in the financial industry. The leadership values its employees and recognizes the importance of a work/life balance. In the 4 years I have been at Ameriprise, my salary has doubled and my responsibilities have grown quickly because initiative/hard work/innovation is greatly prized.

Cons

Not many downsides for a person starting out their career. It's possible that in a few years, I feel that there are better opportunities and pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Remain aggressive in your strategic spending and continue to promote higher levels of cooperation between departments to avoid some of the silo mentalities that have characterized some departments. The coworkers around me feel valued so just keep up the good work in that regards.

11. Complainers, get another job!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You get to help people and make money doing it. The best career with the best company out there. The possibilities are endless if you put in the time, learn the business, and are consistent. The problem with the whiners is they expect to make lots of money the first couple of years. Very few business owners make millions in the first year or two. Relax, it is a marathon.

Cons

The people that complain about it aren't doing it right. They expect to make lots of money right away. Anything that comes too quickly is not worthy. Have some patience and you'll be happy.

Advice to Management

they are doing just fine. focus on your job and let them do theirs. like I said, the complainers need to take a look inside themselves. not everyone is cut out to do the job.

RSS Feed </> Embed