Ameriprise Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.3

Ameriprise Chairman & CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo

Pros
  • Wonderful person who values work-life balance and wants to compensate me fairly (in 38 reviews)

• Great place to begin a career in financial planning because of the base salary (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved by moving afternoon shifts to morning (in 21 reviews)

• You will have to work long hours to meet the goals set for you (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Former Employee - Service Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Service Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After 16 month commitment employees can look for promotions within company. Great career growth

Cons

I do not have anything negative

A great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A multifaceted environment that allows for learning many different things.

Cons

Juggling expenses and cost savings with staffing and productivity needs.

Decision-making takes longer than needed and the rationale for certain tasks directed do not always make sense.

Working at Ameriprise has been an excellent learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ameriprise as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

This internship is usually help by someone looking into joining the financial planning or a related field. The full time staff and managers all understand this and have given me their time, advice, and support throughout this internship.

Cons

This was a rather competitive work environment. While the competition is making me a better employee, it also allows for pockets of stress during the work day.

Nice supportive people and relaxed professional environment.

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern

Pros

Very flexible work life and more laid back environment than other cut-throat firms. Gained a lot of experienced and knowledge while working there.

Cons

A lot of long annoying company training on company regulations, many of the things were common sense. I realize the need for it, but it could be condensed and streamlined.

At my position, my hours would change week to week depending on what is needed for clients. It would have been nicer to have a more stable work schedule.

Ameriprise: Hitting Its Stride Nicely

Current Employee - Corporate RP II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate RP II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for the company for 15 years in the Home Office. Most of my direct leaders (over a dozen of them by now) have been very good, and all have been reasonable to work for. My positions have afforded me good work/life balance and typically a 40-45 hour week, occasionally 50 hours. Corporate culture is excellent I'd say, with a heavy focus on volunteering/contributing to charitable organizations. Various employee groups/clubs feed employee interests and build a sense of community. The best part is the excellent senior leaders (no this is not a paid review-really). Since Ameriprise spun off from American Express 6 years ago, I have never had more confidence in the company, its direction, or its senior leadership. (I work a professional, but non-leadership job.) The company continues to execute very well against its strategy and leaders are hard working, thoughtful and anxious to make Ameriprise successful and a great place to work. I have met a lot of friends here over the years and feel comfortable that there is a job here for me for many years if I want it and keep working hard. That's a great feeling.

Cons

It's a large corporation and sometimes the focus of work can be very tight. There are many roles and functions and many can be interesting and challenging while others are much less so. You reap what you sow and what your skills and abilities allow for, I suppose.

Mostly small improvements/changes that I recommend to my direct leaders to help the company be successful. Senior leader management/execution is so strong over the past five or six years that I just do my best to stay out of the way and let them work.

I was a temp, but this was the nicest group of folks to work with.

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Ameriprise as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pleasant and comfortable office, easy commute, great clients, great staff.

Cons

There are no cons to speak of.

It's hard, but so worth it!

Current Employee - Advisor Center-Client Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Advisor Center-Client Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding and begin the day you begin. I became sick during my training and was able to use my paid time off to take off an see a doctor! Who does that? When I began my credit was garbage and they still gave me their creditcard with a $500 limit! Also, they pay you your regular salary during training! BOOM!

Cons

Many positions require licensing and they are not easy to obtain. I practically slept through the real estate exam and passed it while everyone around me was pulling their hair out. These securities exams, on the other hand, no dice! Hardest test I've ever endured. I'd do it again for another chance to work for them. I only failed by 3 points!

These guys were great. The only thing I would advise is not starting a class around the holidays because people are distracted by family and festivies. It's hard to study complex information with your nieces and nephews jumping all over you!

One of the best company in Asset Management Industry

Former Employee - Associate Fund Accountant in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Fund Accountant in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Culture,Infrastructure,Good paymasters,Good cab and food facility,Approachable Superiors

Cons

Nothing as such as the experience was very satisfactory

Nothing......Management is doing a very good job

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership training opportunity. Nice people to work with. Benefits are strong.

Cons

So many people stay with the company for the entire duration of their careers making it difficult to move up.

Continue to provide career growth opportunities to your entry level employee to maintain and attract new talent.

The best company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay, great management team to work for. Ameriprise has an amazing culture in regards to there environment. It is a company with outstanding comradery and a team togetherness that I've never felt from any other company.

Cons

none great company absolutely no compliance thus far.

Continue to build the great culture that Ameriprise offer's and the company will continue to be one of the best companies to work for.