Ameriprise Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
651 reviews filtered by

Demanding role for front & back office work but attained valuable financial skills.

Current Employee - Advisor Assistant
    Current Employee - Advisor Assistant

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Learned important financial and insurance processing. Company values are instilled to advisors with annual continued education.

Cons

Overwhelming workload from calling clients to financial planning.

Advice to Management

Reduce franchise advisor fee so that you can reduce client fees for products.

2. Great place to learn

Former Employee - Financial Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Ameriprise part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Anyone interested in the world of finance should start here. You can be sponsored here for all brokerage licenses and move up fairly quickly.

Cons

Office culture can be pretty serious at times depending on the advisor you work with. All in all, no complaints. Pretty easy going.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see this company allow employees a greater means for creativity. Finance seems to be a bit rigid and cold at times.

Sales Internship Experience

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Wellesley, MA
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I became more comfortable talking on the phone and talking in a professional manner to clients. My boss was very appreciative and made it clear. I had 30 minute lunch breaks. I worked relatively independently for the most part. They were very understanding of class schedules, but were clear they wanted the interns there for at least 12 hours a week in order to actually gain something from the experience instead of turning it into another task.

Cons

Though the finance internships were a great learning experience that clearly advanced their careers, the sales one was simply a lesson in more professional customer service, and very task oriented. The limit on the amount that I was learning and ability for me to progress and contribute more coupled with the minimum wage pay was what lead to me leaving.

Political Nightmare

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, generous vacation policy, good bonuses (as long as the stock market is doing well). Located downtown Mpls., a good place to be if you just want to "exist".

Cons

Corporate Nepotism, poor leadership - micromanagement all the way up to the Executive Leadership Team , fear culture, chest beating rewarded, "you're lucky to work here" mantra, promotion of mediocrity, risk taking not encouraged, significant glass ceiling

Advice to Management

You have jewels for employees but it's clear you do not understand what it's like to actually work at the company. The culture is abysmal and the leaders drive a culture of fear that makes it a good place to leave. Every employee I know well is looking for a job. The problem is your leaders. The behavior that is rewarded continues to drive the culture and nothing is ever done to hold leaders accountable for the culture they create. This used to be a great company and now it's a death march. Open your eyes and understand what is really going on.

OCD in Micromanaging

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Ameriprise part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No drama. Everyone kept to themselves. Most of the people were nice.

Cons

Too much micromanaging of schedule. Set times to do set tasks. Even the meetings had a schedule. Thrown in every direction. Kept adding to "TO DO" list. Very frustrating. Inadequate training. Was being trained while having to jump up and answer phones. Was to review and sort financial advisor's email. Bring her coffee. Who does that??? Its 2015!!! Last minute Lucys running around trying to get organized. Don't think they even knew what they wanted. Much discombobulation and miscommunication. Advisor was OCD on perfection. Even stapling wasn't correct. Advisor had to re-staple. Was told from the beginning they had been through 8 to 9 assistants in the course of 15 years. That should have been the red flag to never accept the position in the first place. Now I see why.

Advice to Management

Give some control over to the staff and some confidence to do their job. If they make a mistake, let them learn from their mistake. STOP MICROMANAGING EVERY MINUTE OF THE JOB!!!

7. Great culture, demanding work.

Current Employee - Service Delivery in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service Delivery in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary
    Great Benefits
    Good Culture
    Development Opportunities
    Time-Off Policies
    Company Values
    Clear Vertical Movement Opportunities
    Easy Horizontal Movement (Usually after 18 month commitment)

Cons

Highly Structured Environment (Could be a Pro for some)
    Rigid Schedule

Advice to Management

Ensure you are paying close attention to your employee's feedback. While feedback is generally heard, it often has to reach a dull roar within a department to get action taken. Show you are being proactive in accepting employee feedback by seeking out more data on small complaints, grievances, requests, and ideas without having to wait for nearly the entire team/department to want something before finally giving in and reviewing the request.

Field office support staff.

Former Employee - Registered Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Registered Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Not much career growth outside Minneapolis.

Advice to Management

improve opportunities for telecommuting work that gets opportunity out into the field.

9. Great Company

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Good corporate culture. Great office to work in.

Cons

There are no cons to report

Good company depending on department

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

Great benefits and yearly bonus

Cons

Some departments have poor leadership. Company is not very innovative, very slow to make changes and adapt to innovatiion

Great place to work, unless you have an HR issue.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good enough culture
    Good opportunity for advancement

Cons

Low pay relative to competitors
    If you're involved in project work prepare for LONG hours.
    HR is a nightmare - The company is pretty good unless you need to contact Employee Relations for being mistreated. They will quickly go to work to protect the company and turn everything around on you. I know several people who have been pushed out and even fired after asking for help. If your boss is mistreating you just quietly find a new job and you should be fine.
    Rating system, which determines merit increases and bonuses, is mostly a gauge of how much your boss likes you.
    DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP YOUR BOSS ON YOUR SIDE.