Ameriprise Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Ameriprise Chairman & CEO Jim Cracchiolo
Jim Cracchiolo

Pros
  • Wonderful person who values work-life balance and wants to compensate me fairly (in 35 reviews)

• Gained understanding of the financial planning industry (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved by moving afternoon shifts to morning (in 17 reviews)

• You will have to work long hours to meet the goals set for you (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Financial Advisor

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

the vision and mission of financial planning is important to the people who work there and they believe they are adding value to the community.

Cons

No assistance with growing your book of business. There is more focus on getting books quickly with little to no guidance.

Workplace Environment

Former Employee - Wholesaler  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Wholesaler in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Pay based upon pay bands

Cons

Difficult workplace environments for married individuals as affairs are common place between wholesalers and advisors.

HR needs to be more involved in all aspects of the workplace environment and assist in discouraging affairs between advisors and wholesalers.

Great

Former Employee - Intern  in  Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Intern in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Intern only, assisted financial advisor

Cons

Following rules, hard-work, showing up on time, attention to detail

Financial advisor

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fight or Flight.

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than a year

Pros

The food was exceptional in the cafeteria. The benefits were superb. Associates were friendly and was able to make meaningful connections.

Cons

My training group was not even trained properly. The people in leadership roles were horrible leaders and unwilling to lend any type of helpful direction.

This will be short and not-so-sweet: this is specific for my team…my coaches and team leader were undeniably lazy. All were uneducated wannabes. My leader did not know anything about what our job as associates encompassed. Because they were uneducated, they had no interpersonal communication skills, thus were incompetent at taking advice or constructive criticism, much less leading a team. Worse- they [upper management] formed bonds with each other that pigeonholed their vision, into very poor decisions and absolutely no creativity. It was a complete nightmare working for them. They played favorites, lied, and I was very relieved to be free from their dictatorship.

Intern

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Saddle Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Saddle Brook, NJ

I worked at Ameriprise as an intern for less than a year

Pros

a lot to learn and plenty of opportunities to learn everything

Cons

they got rid of interns due to lack of funding

Great place to start your Financial Planning Career.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fortune 500 company with over 100 years experience and the most CFPs in the industry. Investing large sums in advertising and latest technology. Great training in latests producs and services as well as how to manage your own financial planning practice. You create equity in your business which you may be able to sell at a future stage.

Cons

While improving and expanding its offerings of 3rd party insurance & annuities products, still has a limited range of vehicles in these areas. Very little marketing help. Not producing warm leads for advisors to call. To get top payout rate, you have to produce an insane amount of GDC and the annual "Grid" benchmarks are always moving higher. There is oviously an advisor income squeeze going on.

Invest in generating warn leads like Request for Consultation leads (RFC).

A very fulfilling and rewarding career

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a culturally diverse and people-oriented environment. There is a lot of activity around personal development, recognizing individual and team achievements and good communication throughout all levels.

Cons

Succession planning should be an area of focus.Tenured employees need to have a plan and mechanism for passing on knowledge and information that may not be documented anywhere.

While continuing to make difficult decsions around expense reductions, streamlining or offshoring business processes, consolidating business units and/or reducting staff, please consider the strengths, talents and skill sets of those that may be let go as a result of a business transformation initiative. There may be value in retaining the high performers rather than losing them to a competitor.

Not going in a good direction

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

Very good benefits, vacation allotments, 401(k), etc. Cooperative and friendly workplace for the most part. Lots of freedom to move around within the organization, get new experiences and job skills.

Cons

The company is operating in a less transparent way than they used to. No one knows when employees leave the company or move to a different department. All of that is held very close. One day you have a good contact in another area and the next day the cubicle is empty. Not good for morale.

Do more listening to people about the quality of leadership in the mid- to high-level management (Directors, VPs). Most are excellent, but some are downright awful.

Great Place to work, strong room to grow, nice corporate culture

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Many opportunities for growth within the home office
    - Great benefits and time off
    - Nice 401k matching program
    - Good work life balance culture within the company
    - The company rewards performance, bonuses at most job levels.

Cons

- High management turnover & multiple reorganizations made the work environment unnecessarily stress-full at times.

Learn from your mistakes, don't repeat them.

Pressure cooker environment

Current Employee - Corporate RP II  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate RP II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay. Comfortable office. Good food in cafeteria.

Cons

Evenings and weekends are required to keep up. Many of the corporate RP II's are divorced or single.

Upper management has no clue what we really do: check different computer screens and take B.S. from the advisors. Upper management do not know who we are nor do they care. The RPs are just a number on their metric spreadsheet.

Worked for Ameriprise? Contribute to the Community!