Ameriprise Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Okay, but you need to work for corporate or a growing financial practice

Former Employee - Financial Planning Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work on the franchise side of things, there can be good opportunities for you provided you are working within an ambitious practice. Since you are essentially working in a small business, you get the flexibility that a small business can offer. Most of the ratings will be wildly different from practice to practice. I usually worked in friendly environments.

Cons

If you don't plan on being a financial advisor some day, there are very few opportunities for you within the franchisee world. At the end of the day, financial advice is basically a sales job so if you don't have those skills, it will be tough to make a career doing office support. Pay and benefits will be based on how successful the practice is. They're not going to be as good as working for corporate. I worked amongst 20-25 different practices. Pretty high turnover rate in the low-level staff positions, usually due to people realizing they are pretty much maxed out after learning how to fill out the different new business forms and do the meeting prep. If you aren't going to get licensed, you won't be doing a whole lot more than that. Another thing I saw a lot of was a practice becoming comfortable with where they are at and not really growing much. The advisor or their "marketing" staff need to be active in picking up new clients otherwise you end up with people who are fine with their incomes and work-life balance. Once I started working full time out of school, I noticed that several of the advisors I worked for stopped coming to the office everyday as I was there to manage things. "Working from home" and just showing up for client meetings doesn't really cut it. Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing if you are going to be working in a practice that is going somewhere or one that is stagnant until you have put some time into it.

Advice to Management

I didn't work for the corporate office in MN, but it costs a lot to run a franchise...there are corporate fees, not to mention all of the other small-business related costs. Support calls with questions on new business, transactions, etc usually were routed overseas, with only the platinum franchisees getting stateside service. Most of the required training was mickey mouse, very watered down....I don't know what the average advisor age was, but it seemed like anything computer training related was geared towards people in their 50s or 60s....very slow and mundane. The CEO seemed to be pretty good and the company stock just about tripled in the time I was there.

AFA

I worked at Ameriprise (More than a year)

Pros

Little supervision, they let you design your own practice

Cons

Too many to count.

Advice to Management

NA they won't listen

3. Okay Experience

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

flexible schedule decent base pay

Cons

too many happy hours for me

Advice to Management

modernize

run do not walk

I have been working at Ameriprise

Pros

the people in this office are great but that is not representative of the firm as a whole

Cons

everything that I have been told since the interview was a fabrication, salary, working conditions, job description etc this is a complete dead end

6. Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work life balance -Senior Management is very supportive of employees -Many opportunities for networking and learning -Good salary and benefits

Cons

Most of the employees are older and not fun, good out of college job except that its a very tame work environment.

Advice to Management

Be sure not to micromanage young talent-- let creativity and new ideas flourish because the company and clientele are getting older by the day.

7. Client Service Manager

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Small group of people that work together. Depending on your employer a lot of flexibility, which I have with mine (hours, taking time off etc)

Cons

Since it is a Franchise I work for benefits are not as good as on a corporate level.

8. Nice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

clean, secure, corporate conscious, community steward, company stock growth

Cons

I resigned my position with Ameriprise due to poor leadership in my immediate supervisor. This is not to say that there are other managers and corporate leaders who are very good within the organization; mine was poor.

Advice to Management

Take a leadership training course, emotional intelligence, leave your stress at home and don't take it out on your employees. Employees need/want mentorship... not a boss constantly coming down on them!

9. Client Support

I have been working at Ameriprise full-time

Pros

always hiring new staff, nice facilities

Cons

zero flexibility in phone service

10. Sales roles

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Ameriprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

role straightforward, work hard get rewarded, good opportunity to get quarterly bonuses if put in the work, some training

Cons

lack of diversity, need more training, lack of female representation, hard mobility in between roles and even divisions, lack of promotions

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse candidates, better training for management, need more women in managerial roles

11. Client Service Associate

I worked at Ameriprise

Pros

Fun coworkers. Solid training and development.

Cons

Can be political. Pay is average.

RSS Feed </> Embed