AmerisourceBergen

Updated July 30, 2014
2.9

AmerisourceBergen President & CEO Steven Collis
Steven Collis

Pros
  • Attractive enviornment; good benefits; tools provided to be successful in job (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits - you accrue 20 days of PTO per year in your first year (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance and pay is average for the market place (in 7 reviews)

• It seems that upper management is truly out of touch with the need of their independent business (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An absolute amazing work environment where you can learn very much! Only going up from where they are now.

Former Employee - Accounting Intern  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at AmerisourceBergen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employees are great and with the huge Walgreens contract there is a lot of opportunity here!

Cons

I was new to the SAP software so it took me a little while to get comfortable.

Upper management is fantastic! Communicates with all levels of employees all throughout the country so everyone knows what is going on around them.

Growing company, but not my paycheck!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well lit parking. The office space is adequate; not indicative of a Fortune 30 company but still adequate. The cleaning crew does a great job keeping the place clean. Benefits are OK, but not the best that money can buy. You can tell that our benefits were picked amongst the low hanging fruit.

Cons

Everything is a one-way conversation. They talk to you, not with you. Every single time that the company creates a mess and has to clean it up, they come up with a communication strategy that is a one way feed. They are so desperate to sell you on the message that covers up their incompetence that they've left no room for any type of discussion.

Only friends of friends are acknowledged and rewarded. I just saved the company millions of dollars in litigation costs but I won't even be slapped on the back for doing that. However, if I was part of the click, I would be recognized during the annual ABC Vision and Values Awards. That's how things run at AmerisourceBergen.

The company is growing but not growing our paychecks. We are severely underpaid. If you are on salary, you are basically working for free. Between the travel time and the hours that you have to waste in mindless meetings, you put in time equivalent to three employees.

We are so underpaid that the majority of our employees have to work three hours to be able to afford the copay that they must pay when seeing their primary care physician. They would have to work nine hours to also afford the copay for most prescriptions covered under our drug plan benefit.

The money that the company makes is returned to WallStreet because the powers that be receive millions in stock options. So they must do anything and everything to ensure that shares value is increased.

Even our 401K contributions are a joke. The company claims that it matches up to 5% of your contributions but the formula that they use to calculate that match pretty much gives you roughly $300 a year in company matching contributions. The company provides some rather selective and questionable investment options for employee 401K plans that pretty much ensure that you invest in the company's stock no matter what.

That's the reality of AmerisourceBergen.

No advice because management does not care about listening and cares even less about employees.

Summer internship

Current Employee - Strategic Planning  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Strategic Planning in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people who work there were great, I had a lot of responsibilities and the work I did actually made a difference within my division

Cons

If you are looking for full time after having an internship there, you will be waiting until very close to when you can start working upon graduation. They hire just in time so do not hire much more than 2 months out of a start date.

Try to determine jobs that could be created from the work done by interns and potentially offer them jobs at the end of the summer if you feel like they did good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company in general with growing pains moving slowly forward

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good co-workers, benefits and above average working conditons.

Cons

Top heavy mgmt, old guard, old school thinking, not incredibly tech savy.

Request and implement recommendations from associates rather then paying a 3rd party to find gaps. Increase work life balance. Allow more opportunites from working from home from tech. Open full access to the web without filters. Embrace innovation. Embrace thinking outside the box. Continue to work on creating an environment that is innovative and helps provide associates with the opportunity to excel and in turn provide our customers with the best service possible.

Room for growth, but no work/life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Located in a nice area...for now.

Cons

Management is too concerned with face time and not about actual work. Not enough to do. Will be moving the headquarters soon closer to Philly or NJ.

Focus more on the quality and quantity of work and less on how many hours are put in by people. People respect companies that value work/life balance.

Bait and Switch

Current Employee - IT PM  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - IT PM in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Midlevel IT & Developers great to work with

Cons

Worst executive Mgmt ever - not what you know its who you kiss - HR doesn't protect the rank & file

Take a hard look inside at mgmt nepotism, degrading mgmt comments and how about doing a morale survey !

Good learning experience, would not go back.

Current Employee - Accounting Inern  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Accounting Inern in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Work environment was very laid back
    not a lot of hard deadlines
    flexible with time off (you don't have to put in extra hours later to make up for it)

Cons

pay is mediocre at best
    basically in a cubicle all day
    they are real penny pinchers (understandable based on their market but still...)

Awesome company

Former Employee - Field Human Resources Manager, II  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Field Human Resources Manager, II in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at AmerisourceBergen full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer generous benefits, have open lines of communication, and genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Tends to be a lot of organizational changes that make it difficult to know "who is on second."

Good company - management has a lot of room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people to work with, benefits are good (i.e. medical/dental);

Cons

Top heavy, a lot of directors/VP's with little to no management experience (actual managing of employees), transparency / communication, work/life balance issues, employees afraid to speak up.

Allow your teams to provide you constructive feedback that will help enable the company to reach its goals. Use active listening to feedback provided and follow up to suggestions. Thank your teams publicly for the extra mile they go rather then expecting it. If you don't turnover will continue.

Educational and worthwhile

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

-great people and really friendly culture

Cons

-not a lot of opportunities for growth or career development
    -slightly behind competition in terms of innovation

-very top heavy organization, and knew of a few people whose jobs were almost obsolete

Worked for AmerisourceBergen? Contribute to the Community!