AmerisourceBergen Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

survey

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

I like working here at amerisourcebergen

Cons

There have been too many changes here lately

Excellent for Entry-Level, Junior, and Above

Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

Entry-level and junior associates are given plenty of training, resources, and nurturing to ensure your success. You are never left alone - a mentor, a boss, a buddy is always there to help you get what you need to succeed. The only way to fail is to literally not try at all! Compensation is market level, the 401k is good, and the benefits package is great. Any doctor or dentist will tell you that your plan is excellent! Work-life balance is a high-priority, but there are times you must grind out the 50/60/70 hour week. This is very team-dependent, but for every long and hard week there is the occasional long team lunch, early Friday, and and standard 40 hours. Senior management varies depending on person and department, but most people are very passionate about both ABC and developing their teams. There is a common saying that "harsh bosses do not last long at ABC" because of the culture of respect. You will be hard pressed to find better culture and values at any company. Respect and fairness is found at all levels. Truly, we do shape healthcare for our customers, and help get patients the medication they need at a price they can afford. In short - WORK HERE. ABC is an excellent company.

Cons

Compensation could always be a bit higher, 401k matching could be a little higher. There is no real cafeteria, but instead there are vendors that bring food... While most people love the Chikafila vendor, it would be nice to have a real cafeteria with some hot foods available for breakfast and lunch. Not every team has a great work-life balance, especially short-staffed IT teams. It would not hurt to identify overworked teams and hire another employee to share the load. In short - our problems are minor, and will likely be addressed due to very receptive management... again, WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Management has been very engaged in finding out what associates think and feel. More importantly management has been very receptive in implementing the suggestions or solving complaints. Keep up the engagement and solutions... we notice and appreciate them!

Nice Place to Work

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

Communication is good, great tuition reimbursement plan.

Cons

Benefits pricing went up this year.

5. Best company I ever worked for!!

I worked at AmerisourceBergen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and employee awareness.

Cons

no negatives. I wish I were still there.

6. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

Great company to work for Staff is great Management is on point

Cons

Limitation in careen growth in certain locations.

Advice to Management

More R&D required

Decent company - good place to learn and develop professionally. Unfair promotion practices with little HR intervention.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

I am no longer at this company (left last year). However, at the time my department offered flexibility in work schedules. I also liked that employees are given many opportunities to pursue professional development through education reimbursement program, on-the-job training and in-house resources.

Cons

The downsides mainly revolved around poor management. In the area I worked in (the Lash/Xcenda subsidiary -- a smaller company under the AmerisourceBergen umbrella), there were managers who had been there since the company was much smaller. These managers were unwilling to let go of 'what we always do'. There was a big problem with managers hiring personal friends, giving friends the best projects and professional education opportunities (when space was limited), and then promoting those friends to higher positions with better pay over staff with more related experience and higher performance. HR and Sr Management did little address employees' concerns over promotion practices, despite repeated complaints. On some teams, those promoted weren't capable of doing their new job efficiently and the work fell on those who were passed over (leading to a team of disgruntled and unmotivated employees).

Advice to Management

Implement processes to assure the promotion processes are fair to assure you don't lose good people. Award people based on their performance. Be willing to hear new/innovative ideas from those in non-management positions.

It's not a bad company to work for.

Current Employee - Analyst in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

If not in BT this is very much a 9-5 job. Managers pretty much leave you alone as long as you get the job done. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Old fashioned when it comes to tele-commuting. Low on benefits, 6 holidays a year and everybody starts with 2 weeks vacation. I hear bonuses are great but only managers get them. It's a no frills company.

Advice to Management

N/A

Frugal but Good to Work For

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

Management and executives are for the most part very unpretentious and down to earth. As a result, it is a more relaxed and comfortable place to work. Distribution has been a low-tech, low paying industry, but ABC has been updating its business processes and personnel to become more in tune with competitors and other companies following the merger of ten years ago. Very stable company and will continue to grow as drug use grows and generics take more of the market. No risk of being acquired.

Cons

Distribution is a very low margin business, consequently that pervades the corporate culture. The CEO talks about pinching pennies, and he's right. Salaries are lower than comparable positions in other industries, as are benefits. Fight for as much salary and position as possible. There are a lot of VP's because it's the only way they can stay competitive with other companies on salary. They do have stock options, although less than other industries i'm famiilar with.

Advice to Management

Provide a roadmap for career or salary advancement for high achieving managers and directors

Loved the company when I worked there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I worked at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

The Specialty Group was a great company to work for before the recession hit. The pay was really good and the benefits were great. The majority of folks were as nice as they come.

Cons

I heard they had to lay some people off in late 2009 and 2010 so I'm not sure what it's like to work there now. Unfortunately, I worked for one of the few bad managers at the Specialty Group so my personal experience was traumatic. Which was a shame because I loved ABSG overall.

Advice to Management

Overall, upper management did a great job.

11. A learning experience

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at AmerisourceBergen

Pros

There's room for growth and you get to learn alot from my current job.

Cons

Not many positions open up

RSS Feed </> Embed