Ameristar Casinos

Ameristar Casinos Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky

Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • They seem to care a lot for the team members(in 10 reviews)

• Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one)(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble(in 5 reviews)

• Managers treat employees like children and although say there is an open door policy there really is not one(in 5 reviews)

Bullying does exist here

Server (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsMost coworkers were great to work with, pay was good in certain departments/job titles depending on your position, was within close proximity to where I used to live and go to school, casino industry in general is fast paced and you stay busy.

ConsHarassment does exist here. Bullying and harassment from customers directed at employees is very bad at the kansas city location and management allows it to happen regularly. There is also harassment coming from management towards hourly employees. If you ignore it, it gets worse but standing your ground proves difficult. Overall very hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees and do something about the abusive guests who ruin it for everyone. Please start treating employees with the respect and dignity they deserve. They work hard and want to see things go well.

Ameristar Casino and Hotel KCMO

Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe insurance is great. They volunteer together at different organizations around the city. Parking is convenient. The HR department is pleasant and helpful. The core values are a great concept, and if followed by all, especially leaders, would make an excellent workplace.

ConsWorking every night, weekend, and holiday gets old, fast. When you take a weekend off, your department has to work harder, so it's not actually stated, but discouraged. The onboarding process is weak, so often people are just thrown into their roles without sufficient training, making it harder on everyone. Managers are honestly just too busy to fully train everyone, and in turn the turnover rate is ridiculous. The hours are long, especially for managers. They try (or at least talk about trying) too hard to make it an enjoyable place to work, but it just isn't. The GM is a stuffy little grump, which contributes to low morale quite a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone has proven to be an effective entry level team member does not mean they should be given a chance at management. Some people are good leaders and others are good doers. If you have the 'doers' leading, it makes the people actually capable of managing work extra hard to overcompensate for those who are incompetent.

Exciting job, lots of interesting people both internally and externally but...I could never support my family alone.

Valet (Former Employee) Saint Charles, MO

ProsLots of fun. Like I said it was an exciting and fast paced environment to work in. Met many people I would never have had the chance to working as a limo driver.

ConsI worked there almost 7 years and even won a team member of the year award but I could never get into a position that provided enough for me to support my small family of 4.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to consider your existing human capital so they have a chance to advance to a career instead of a pyramid of mid grade managers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here unless you are desperate

Sous Chef (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsIt was a stable job when I first moved to Kansas City. The pay was not bad and the employees were friendly and fun to work with.

ConsTerrible customers who are very rude. The worst I've experienced really. A lot of angry customers with drinking,drug and gambling problems who are abusive towards staff. Management does little about this and does not respect its employees. Management makes their employees wait on drunk obnoxious belligerent people on a regular basis because they put their money in a slot machine so that makes it ok. A joke of an environment really. If you want to make any money you must work nights and weekends so don't expect to have any sort of a life while working here. Rigid/impossible points system is practiced unless you are Vietnamese or Haitian. Luckily I found another job after a year and quit. I'm so glad.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about the drunk/abusive customers instead of ignoring it.

Terrible Work Environment

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee)

ProsThe only positive thing about this place is the pay. You can't make $20 an hour anywhere else for entertaining crabby mean people.

ConsThere is Sexual Harassment in the work place, crabby employees, crabby guests, supervisors are not smart, don't care about employees only are about the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking at the big picture, not at the little details

Great pay, Inaccurate job description.

Sous Chef (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat pay, growth potential, and a decent corporate structure as not many of them support there employees.

ConsTheir tardy policy is unforgiving and unheard of, a confusing point system that makes it easy for you to get fired without even knowing it. Basically, If your late over about 10 times, even if its by one minute within a year, you are let go(not to mention if theres a emergency and you have to call in). Also, the position i was hired for, was a sous chef, when i was hired i assumed this was in a restaurant, when it was actually in a massive productions kitchen that cooks sub-par food all day (alot of canned food even though they told me everything was from scratch) and just about every employee i was in charge of had worked there over 15-20 years (so they knew the ins and outs far better than me). They were also 90% Vietnamese and spoke little to no English, which makes it nearly impossible to communicate.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplain more clearly to your employees what the position asks for, and make sure they are qualified for batch cookery ahead of time. Also do away with the tardy policy, and let it be under the discretion of a manager or Hr.

Great place for part time people/ students

Server (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosgreat pay
    flexible hours
    managers are nice and easy to talk to

Consnot a lot of hours for part time
    not allowed to go overtime

Surveillance Technician at Ameristar Casinos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, friendly atmosphere, competitive benefits.

ConsLong hours, some senior management lacks leadership skills

Could have been better or worse (Hotel Employee)

Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) Saint Charles, MO

ProsNetworking to move on
    Initial advancement opportunities
    Fun atmosphere and chances to meet great guests
    Supervisors were very aware of the work

ConsManagement had no idea half of what was going on
    Employee exit surveys did nothing to help get the hotel management back under control
    Hotel Director did not even know how to work the computer system

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the surveys to your advantage. Also, maybe consider reading reviews from Trip Advisor. If guests constantly complain about specific people in management, maybe a closer look should be taken.

Good Temporary Job

Gift Shop Attendant (Former Employee) Council Bluffs, IA

ProsWork independently, your ideas are taken into consideration (since you often interact with customers alone), get to set up displays how you want them, decent pay for retail, good money-handling experience

ConsCan be isolating on slow days without anybody to talk to, often people will come in while others are gaming just out of boredom and just talk to you or rant to you, are in charge of opening/closing/all cleaning on own, not much room to move up in such a tiny department, hours can change frequently and inconveniently (probably true of any casino job), management is often not present for any questions/input

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a door so customers can't sneak in/out of gate when opening and closing is in process, increase the lighting so it isn't so dim (causes sleepiness)

Worked for Ameristar Casinos? Contribute to the Community!