Ameristar Casinos

Updated August 5, 2014
2.6

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one) (in 6 reviews)

• They seem to care a lot for the team members (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble (in 5 reviews)

• Managers treat employees like children and although say there is an open door policy there really is not one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly, professional, classy, wholesome.

Former Employee - Host/Cashier  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and gas/movie/ffood/medical/tuition- assistance care.

Cons

Rigid and hard to move up.

Promote within.

Was once a great place to work but not anymore

Former Employee - Bakery Cashier  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Bakery Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the coworkers were great to work with. Job could be fun on certain days.

Cons

This location has a lot of bad managers and some strange, irate customers. The managers like to play favorites and there's not much you can do about it. I never really felt comfortable talking to my managers about things that needed to be addressed because of their attitudes and lack of trust. Lying to employees is a specialty here. I always felt speaking up was heavily discouraged, even if it was about improving the work environment and helping others.

Respect can go a long way.

Not for a Family Oriented Person

Former Employee - Beverage Server  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Beverage Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for a part-time job.

Cons

Longgggg hours on your feet in heels , lots of walking. Most everyone has to work all weekends and EVERY holiday so if you work here forget about family holidays! They say the company is family oriented but I don't know whose family cause it's not the employees'. Poor management and high turnover. Point system is flawed. Vacation pay is only your base pay, '$4 something an hour, not your average wages claimed. It's extremely hard to get a decent schedule and it changes every 6 months, so when you finally figure out your life and your job it changes.

Don't lump everyone in together. Do things on a case by case basis based on longevity and performance with the company. Give employees some time off on holidays and some weekends.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sucks Your Soul

Current Employee - Management  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time

Pros

Decent money. Good co-workers. A few fun customers.

Cons

Terrible hours. Horrible, incompetent micro-managers in charge of your life and career.

Lighten up and learn how to manage people. Treat employees like grown-ups in a business environment.

Good work, good support, good times.

Current Employee - Poker Dealer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Poker Dealer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are flexible for the part time dealers. As one would expect, the full time work has to pull their weight and do most of the hours on the casino floor. The Dual rates and Supervisors all do what they can to support the dealing staff and they defend their dealers when a patron is out of line.

Cons

I am a part time dealer, as such I do not see all of the challenges that may or may not be present within a company of this size. I do my best to keep my nose clean and not allow myself to get roped into the politics. I do not have any challenges that have not been over come while I have been employed with Ameristar.

Keep doing what you do. It does not bother me that I do not see you day in and day out. You have "Upper" management things to take care of and that time is more important to me that coming out of your office to visit the casino floor and let the dealers and support crew know you exist.

Impersonal

Former Employee - Chauffeur/Valet  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Chauffeur/Valet in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of benefits that really make you feel like the company cares about its employees. Pay was ample - we had 'group toke' so all tips were shared within the transportation staff. New people work the busy shifts and the veterans work 9-5 everyday with great hours and much less work than new staff.

Cons

Very impersonal due to a massive HR intrusion into work. Odd hours guaranteed. I would often work a shift 6p-4a and another one at 8 the next morning.

Ameristar Kansas City is an awful place to work

Former Employee - Casino Dealer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hmm.....I'll get back to you on that.

Cons

The clientele is the bottom of the barrel, period. Some of the customers pretend to have class but they just don't. This reflects heavily on how they treat the employees.
    The managers are awful. Ameristar Kansas City has the worst management I've ever encountered. They regularly throw the book at certain employees while encouraging other employees to openly and freely do the exact same thing. There is an unbelievable amount of favoritism at Ameristar Kansas City. Morale is very low. Corporate really needs to clean house when it comes management at the Kansas City location, from top to bottom. Managers are too hateful towards certain employees for personal reasons.
    Both the customers and management show little respect for anyone, not even themselves. Avoid this place at all costs. Upper management talks a lot about making it a fun place to work but it just isn't. There are much better places to work.

I guess it is hard to respect others when you do not even respect yourselves.

Horrible how you are treated as an employee

Former Employee - Players Club Representative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Players Club Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some great friends while working there. It was within close proximity to my house. The pay was good for my job.

Cons

I was terminated from Ameristar Casino Kansas City exactly one month after reporting my manager to human resources for him repeatedly making inappropriate comments to me about other employees and customers. He would often make derogatory comments about people's weight, age, bodily features, and personal lives in front of other employees and customers and think it was funny. I told him to stop on more than one occasion and it only got worse. When I reported him to human resources I was told I would remain anonymous which was a big fat lie because the next day he confronted me and told me he knew I was the one who turned him in and he would find a way to fire me. Well one month later he retaliated and I was fired for something very silly that everyone else does but is still working there. All I can say is I've never worked in such an unprofessional environment in my life. I was the only employee brave enough to turn him in which I believed was doing the right thing. None of the other employees would turn him in because they were too scared for their jobs so they had to put up with his harassing and inappropriate comments on a daily basis. Management at Ameristar Kansas City is very retaliatory, vindictive and overall unprofessional. The funny part is when they were firing me they had the nerve to read off their core values. One was "Do the right thing." Since when is harassing employees and making inappropriate comments about people's weight, age, personal lives, and bodily features on a regular basis doing "the right thing"? They claim to have an open door policy but reporting any problems will only get you into trouble even if your manager is harassing you and others. I truly feel sorry for the hourly employees who still work there.

Start respecting your employees. Also you never know when you will be without a job.

HORRIBLE JOB

Current Employee - Host/Cashier  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is absolutely no pros at for this job its the worst job to have and management sucks.

Cons

EVERYTHING. Management is the WORST. its nothing but favoritism, and being treated badly. Management doesnt keep their promises or treat you right at all.worst job ive ever had in my life.

Casinos are not all they seem

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time

Pros

No two days are ever the same. Most of the people are like family. There is room for growth and promotion.

Cons

There is no room for error when trying to improve processes. One bad seed in the department makes life miserable. Leadership plays favorites. There is no work/life balance. You are expected to drop everything and come run when the company needs you.

Worked for Ameristar Casinos? Contribute to the Community!