Ameristar Casinos

Ameristar Casinos Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky

Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one) (in 6 reviews)

• They seem to care a lot for the team members (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble (in 5 reviews)

• Managers treat employees like children and although say there is an open door policy there really is not one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly, professional, classy, wholesome.

Host/Cashier (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat atmosphere and gas/movie/ffood/medical/tuition- assistance care.

ConsRigid and hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within.

Not for a Family Oriented Person

Beverage Server (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood pay for a part-time job.

ConsLonggggg hours on your feet in heels , lots of walking. Most everyone has to work all weekends and EVERY holiday so if you work here forget about family holidays! They say the company is family oriented but I don't know whose family cause it's not the employees'. Poor management and high turnover. Point system is flawed. Vacation pay is only your base pay, '$4 something an hour, not your average wages claimed. It's extremely hard to get a decent schedule and it changes every 6 months, so when you finally figure out your life and your job it changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lump everyone in together. Do things on a case by case basis based on longevity and performance with the company. Give employees some time off on holidays and some weekends.

Sucks Your Soul

Management (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsDecent money. Good co-workers. A few fun customers.

ConsTerrible hours. Horrible, incompetent micro-managers in charge of your life and career.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up and learn how to manage people. Treat employees like grown-ups in a business environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work, good support, good times.

Poker Dealer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe hours are flexible for the part time dealers. As one would expect, the full time work has to pull their weight and do most of the hours on the casino floor. The Dual rates and Supervisors all do what they can to support the dealing staff and they defend their dealers when a patron is out of line.

ConsI am a part time dealer, as such I do not see all of the challenges that may or may not be present within a company of this size. I do my best to keep my nose clean and not allow myself to get roped into the politics. I do not have any challenges that have not been over come while I have been employed with Ameristar.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do. It does not bother me that I do not see you day in and day out. You have "Upper" management things to take care of and that time is more important to me that coming out of your office to visit the casino floor and let the dealers and support crew know you exist.

Impersonal

Chauffeur/Valet (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsA lot of benefits that really make you feel like the company cares about its employees. Pay was ample - we had 'group toke' so all tips were shared within the transportation staff. New people work the busy shifts and the veterans work 9-5 everyday with great hours and much less work than new staff.

ConsVery impersonal due to a massive HR intrusion into work. Odd hours guaranteed. I would often work a shift 6p-4a and another one at 8 the next morning.

Ameristar Kansas City is an awful place to work

Casino Dealer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsHmm.....I'll get back to you on that.

ConsThe clientele is the bottom of the barrel, period. Some of the customers pretend to have class but they just don't. This reflects heavily on how they treat the employees.
    The managers are awful. Ameristar Kansas City has the worst management I've ever encountered. They regularly throw the book at certain employees while encouraging other employees to openly and freely do the exact same thing. There is an unbelievable amount of favoritism at Ameristar Kansas City. Morale is very low. Corporate really needs to clean house when it comes management at the Kansas City location, from top to bottom. Managers are too hateful towards certain employees for personal reasons.
    Both the customers and management show little respect for anyone, not even themselves. Avoid this place at all costs. Upper management talks a lot about making it a fun place to work but it just isn't. There are much better places to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess it is hard to respect others when you do not even respect yourselves.

Horrible how you are treated as an employee

Players Club Representative (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI met some great friends while working there. It was within close proximity to my house. The pay was good for my job.

ConsI was terminated from Ameristar Casino Kansas City exactly one month after reporting my manager to human resources for him repeatedly making inappropriate comments to me about other employees and customers. He would often make derogatory comments about people's weight, age, bodily features, and personal lives in front of other employees and customers and think it was funny. I told him to stop on more than one occasion and it only got worse. When I reported him to human resources I was told I would remain anonymous which was a big fat lie because the next day he confronted me and told me he knew I was the one who turned him in and he would find a way to fire me. Well one month later he retaliated and I was fired for something very silly that everyone else does but is still working there. All I can say is I've never worked in such an unprofessional environment in my life. I was the only employee brave enough to turn him in which I believed was doing the right thing. None of the other employees would turn him in because they were too scared for their jobs so they had to put up with his harassing and inappropriate comments on a daily basis. Management at Ameristar Kansas City is very retaliatory, vindictive and overall unprofessional. The funny part is when they were firing me they had the nerve to read off their core values. One was "Do the right thing." Since when is harassing employees and making inappropriate comments about people's weight, age, personal lives, and bodily features on a regular basis doing "the right thing"? They claim to have an open door policy but reporting any problems will only get you into trouble even if your manager is harassing you and others. I truly feel sorry for the hourly employees who still work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting your employees. Also you never know when you will be without a job.

HORRIBLE JOB

Host/Cashier (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThere is absolutely no pros at for this job its the worst job to have and management sucks.

ConsEVERYTHING. Management is the WORST. its nothing but favoritism, and being treated badly. Management doesnt keep their promises or treat you right at all.worst job ive ever had in my life.

Casinos are not all they seem

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsNo two days are ever the same. Most of the people are like family. There is room for growth and promotion.

ConsThere is no room for error when trying to improve processes. One bad seed in the department makes life miserable. Leadership plays favorites. There is no work/life balance. You are expected to drop everything and come run when the company needs you.

A lot of favoritism at Ameristar

Cook1 (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe team member dining room. Health insurance was also great if you qualify however I did not.

ConsThere was a lot of favoritism at Ameristar Kansas City. It was very much a political environment.The managers tended to play favorites quite a bit. Certain employees got away with things regularly that others did not. The employee of the month thing was laughable. It was clearly not based on the hardest working nor friendliest employees but rather on who was friendly with the boss. It was also a very much a "do as I say not as I do" type of environment. No wonder morale was so low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck

Worked for Ameristar Casinos? Contribute to the Community!