Ameristar Casinos

Updated December 9, 2014
2.9

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one) (in 7 reviews)

• They seem to care a lot for the team members (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Bullying and harassment from customers directed at employees is very bad at the kansas city location and management allows it to happen regularly (in 6 reviews)

• Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for a Family Oriented Person

Former Employee - Beverage Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Beverage Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for a part-time job.

Cons

Longgggg hours on your feet in heels , lots of walking. Most everyone has to work all weekends and EVERY holiday so if you work here forget about family holidays! They say the company is family oriented but I don't know whose family cause it's not the employees'. Poor management and high turnover. Point system is flawed. Vacation pay is only your base pay, '$4 something an hour, not your average wages claimed. It's extremely hard to get a decent schedule and it changes every 6 months, so when you finally figure out your life and your job it changes.

Don't lump everyone in together. Do things on a case by case basis based on longevity and performance with the company. Give employees some time off on holidays and some weekends.

Friendly, professional, classy, wholesome.

Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and gas/movie/ffood/medical/tuition- assistance care.

Cons

Rigid and hard to move up.

Promote within.

it just ok.

Current Employee - Barback in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Barback in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

very few good things happen. you really have to fight to earn and keep your position.it could better than it is.be alot

Cons

so many I cant remember them all. I cant really express myself fully there because when I have voiced my opinon I was frowned up.

recreate management all together.

Once a great place to work

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make great friends

Cons

Poor employee morale. The company made too many cuts to sell, which has made employees very nervous.

Give employees respect they deserve

Sucks Your Soul

Current Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Management in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time

Pros

Decent money. Good co-workers. A few fun customers.

Cons

Terrible hours. Horrible, incompetent micro-managers in charge of your life and career.

Lighten up and learn how to manage people. Treat employees like grown-ups in a business environment.

Good work, good support, good times.

Current Employee - Poker Dealer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Poker Dealer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are flexible for the part time dealers. As one would expect, the full time work has to pull their weight and do most of the hours on the casino floor. The Dual rates and Supervisors all do what they can to support the dealing staff and they defend their dealers when a patron is out of line.

Cons

I am a part time dealer, as such I do not see all of the challenges that may or may not be present within a company of this size. I do my best to keep my nose clean and not allow myself to get roped into the politics. I do not have any challenges that have not been over come while I have been employed with Ameristar.

Keep doing what you do. It does not bother me that I do not see you day in and day out. You have "Upper" management things to take care of and that time is more important to me that coming out of your office to visit the casino floor and let the dealers and support crew know you exist.

Management is awful

Current Employee - Restaurant Server
    Current Employee - Restaurant Server

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job if you don't mind working weekends. Money is pretty good and some of the customers and employees (not managers) are fun to be around. Good job if you want to break into the casino industry and get started.

Cons

The managers are terrible. The managers nit pick and micro manage but always miss the big picture. The managers are some of the biggest hypocrites you will ever encounter. They talk to you with no respect and treat you like a child (or worse) and then wonder why no one wants to work for them. My manager would often complain about how long it would take her to make a schedule because no one wanted to work for her. Hello! Maybe you are the problem? They are also very hypocritical and will give you into trouble for things they often (and openly) do themselves. They are also really good at shoving people under the bus to make themselves appear squeaky clean and will deny responsibility for any wrong doings to save themselves. They are only concerned about their career, not the company. Sexual harassment does exist at this location.

Consider treating employees like people instead of children. We all all adults here. Also it wouldn't hurt to practice what you preach.

Fun environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with great teams that really enjoy what they are doing.

Cons

The hours can be challenging if you have a family since they are open 24/7, including all holidays.

I would like to see upper management and HR care more about promoting part time employees into full time positions.

Impersonal

Former Employee - Chauffeur/Valet in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Chauffeur/Valet in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of benefits that really make you feel like the company cares about its employees. Pay was ample - we had 'group toke' so all tips were shared within the transportation staff. New people work the busy shifts and the veterans work 9-5 everyday with great hours and much less work than new staff.

Cons

Very impersonal due to a massive HR intrusion into work. Odd hours guaranteed. I would often work a shift 6p-4a and another one at 8 the next morning.

Was Great at First......

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos

Pros

Cheap food. Christmas bonus. Can be really fun place to work. A lot of interesting people. Good people to work that is not management. Discount is a good pounted food

Cons

Poor management. No set schedule. Change the schedule without asking or letting the person know, and then punishing them for it.

They could follow through with what they say they were going to do.