Ameristar Casinos Reviews

1. The blind leading the blind

Former Employee - Restaurant Server
    Former Employee - Restaurant Server

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. I cannot think of any pros.

Cons

Management is clueless. They treated employees horribly and on top of that they didn't even know what they were doing. Ameristar had the worst managers I've ever worked for.

2. Was Great at First......

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos

Pros

Cheap food. Christmas bonus. Can be really fun place to work. A lot of interesting people. Good people to work that is not management. Discount is a good pounted food

Cons

Poor management. No set schedule. Change the schedule without asking or letting the person know, and then punishing them for it.

They could follow through with what they say they were going to do.

3. Ameristar Kansas City is an awful place to work

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hmm.....I'll get back to you on that.

Cons

The clientele is the bottom of the barrel, period. Some of the customers pretend to have class but they just don't. This reflects heavily on how they treat the employees.
    The managers are awful. Ameristar Kansas City has the worst management I've ever encountered. They regularly throw the book at certain employees while encouraging other employees to openly and freely do the exact same thing. There is an unbelievable amount of favoritism at Ameristar Kansas City. Morale is very low. Corporate really needs to clean house when it comes management at the Kansas City location, from top to bottom. Managers are too hateful towards certain employees for personal reasons.
    Both the customers and management show little respect for anyone, not even themselves. Avoid this place at all costs. Upper management talks a lot about making it a fun place to work but it just isn't. There are much better places to work.

I guess it is hard to respect others when you do not even respect yourselves.

Horrible how you are treated as an employee

Former Employee - Players Club Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Players Club Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some great friends while working there. It was within close proximity to my house. The pay was good for my job.

Cons

I was terminated from Ameristar Casino Kansas City exactly one month after reporting my manager to human resources for him repeatedly making inappropriate comments to me about other employees and customers. He would often make derogatory comments about people's weight, age, bodily features, and personal lives in front of other employees and customers and think it was funny. I told him to stop on more than one occasion and it only got worse. When I reported him to human resources I was told I would remain anonymous which was a big fat lie because the next day he confronted me and told me he knew I was the one who turned him in and he would find a way to fire me. Well one month later he retaliated and I was fired for something very silly that everyone else does but is still working there. All I can say is I've never worked in such an unprofessional environment in my life. I was the only employee brave enough to turn him in which I believed was doing the right thing. None of the other employees would turn him in because they were too scared for their jobs so they had to put up with his harassing and inappropriate comments on a daily basis. Management at Ameristar Kansas City is very retaliatory, vindictive and overall unprofessional. The funny part is when they were firing me they had the nerve to read off their core values. One was "Do the right thing." Since when is harassing employees and making inappropriate comments about people's weight, age, personal lives, and bodily features on a regular basis doing "the right thing"? They claim to have an open door policy but reporting any problems will only get you into trouble even if your manager is harassing you and others. I truly feel sorry for the hourly employees who still work there.

Start respecting your employees. Also you never know when you will be without a job.

6. Former team member

Former Employee - Manager in Vicksburg, MS
    Former Employee - Manager in Vicksburg, MS

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the property you work at, Ameristar takes care of their team members.

Cons

The Vicksburg property does not base raises or promotions on job performance. It strictly based on time at the property, not with the company, and race.

Replace the executive committee

7. A highly rewarding experience with the Planning and Analysis Department at Headquarters

Former Employee - Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-There is a lot of collaboration across departments.
    -Upper management is willing to listen to new ideas from all types of employees.
    -Good work and creativity are valued and rewarded, and there is advancement opportunity.

Cons

-You can get stuck spending many hours behind a computer if you are not at the director level.

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. Great experience working under great CEO for a company operating best-in-class regional casinos.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant to Chief Executive Officer in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant to Chief Executive Officer in Encino, CA

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative and friendly work environment. Good team morale while company was in existence. Interesting industry to work in. Good job security.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities at my position.

9. Not a bad place to work, if you don't mind working week-ends, holidays, etc.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly good benefits, including pay 401k health insurance
    subsidized company cafeteria,
    work seven get paid eight,
    diverse workforce, with no discrimination,

Cons

it takes a number of years working before you can get a work schedule that you like.

10. Casinos are not all they seem

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time

Pros

No two days are ever the same. Most of the people are like family. There is room for growth and promotion.

Cons

There is no room for error when trying to improve processes. One bad seed in the department makes life miserable. Leadership plays favorites. There is no work/life balance. You are expected to drop everything and come run when the company needs you.

11. A great learning experience and a lot of fun!

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos

Pros

Good benefits and diverse workforce

Cons

Be prepared to work every holiday, and the environment can get a little depressing.