Ameristar Casinos

Ameristar Casinos Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky

Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one) (in 6 reviews)

• They seem to care a lot for the team members (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble (in 5 reviews)

• Managers treat employees like children and although say there is an open door policy there really is not one (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Temporary Job

Gift Shop Attendant (Former Employee) Council Bluffs, IA

ProsWork independently, your ideas are taken into consideration (since you often interact with customers alone), get to set up displays how you want them, decent pay for retail, good money-handling experience

ConsCan be isolating on slow days without anybody to talk to, often people will come in while others are gaming just out of boredom and just talk to you or rant to you, are in charge of opening/closing/all cleaning on own, not much room to move up in such a tiny department, hours can change frequently and inconveniently (probably true of any casino job), management is often not present for any questions/input

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a door so customers can't sneak in/out of gate when opening and closing is in process, increase the lighting so it isn't so dim (causes sleepiness)

Good way to crack into the casino business in Saint Louis.

Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsDid a good job making training for different games readily available to learn. Easy to move up in seniority, which makes for a better schedule that can fit your private life.

ConsHigh turn over in employees, due mostly to poor management style and higher pay at competitive casinos in the area. Felt like management spent way too much time looking for ways to fire their employees.

Ameristar Casino was so fun and the job I had was great

Food Runner (Former Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsPay was great
    Wonderful benefits (PTO, Vacation, Sick days, Dental, Medical, 401K)
    Great supervisors who will work with you during your job

ConsI have no cons for Ameristar

Advice to Senior ManagementI had a wonderful time working for Ameristar. The best experience of my life

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great start for technicians to start.

Slot Tech (Current Employee) Vicksburg, MS

ProsEmployees are very friendly and respective.

ConsUpper managment could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair.

Worst Company I've Worked For Ever

Security Officer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsNo pros to working here

ConsThey tell you one thing and do another, alot of backstabbing and lying. Management tells you they care about you and your career while in reality they don't give a flying flip. Alot of micromanaging, they also count every little minor detail of a mistake against you. Very high turnover rate, low pay, no sick days. They also write you up if you call in sick, if you call in 9 times a year you're fired. They also won't let you take a vacation if you don't have PTO (paid time off). If you get suspended, call in or are late they take out of your PTO bank. Customers are jerks and call you a racist just because you are carding them to verify their age. Worst company I have ever worked for, a joke of an environment to say the least. Don't work here because, you will probably get fired over a very minor thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating Team Members as you want to be treated, stop firing people over silly, ridiculous stuff.

The blind leading the blind

Supervisor (Former Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsIt's an opportunity to get some casino experience and free training. Working at the Ameristar would get your foot in the casino world door.

ConsThe biggest problem is the political environment and the lack of opportunities for advancement. It is a bland version of the old Harrahs management style

Management Resents Dealers

Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) Black Hawk, CO

ProsThis is only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. Becoming full time is not really possible, but you can still make a nice income part time. It's the nicest casino in town, so it stays consistently busy.

ConsManagement continuously reminds us this is the only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. They keep bringing in new games with side bets to discourage tipping. (i.e. they hope players play the side bets rather than use their smaller chips to bet/tip the dealer). Scheduling is ridiculous. Your start times can change daily within 4 hours. So Monday you start at 8, Tuesday you start at 12, then Wednesday at 10. I bid on a shift schedule that I have actually worked twice in the last 4 months. They claim they believe in work/life balance. How do you plan your life around that? They have the worst comp system. Yet they actually encourage people to act like jerks. All you gotta do is yell loud enough and long enough and they will give you a free room. Management and floor decisions are inconsistent but getting better. There are way too many meetings outside of scheduled hours. Now they do not want to pay us for attending mandatory meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect employees to practice your core values when management does not. Lead by example!

Nothing special stay away from

Cashier (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosflexible, average uppermanagement, i would not recommend, other employees are very relatable

Consmanagement is sub par and everyone likes to think they are in charge

Love knowing how much money I make a month.....

Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) Black Hawk, CO

ProsLove being hourly because I know how much money I make a month.
    Love having some responsibility and having a more advanced title as that can boost my resume.
    Love working in a 4 Diamond Hotel/Resort.
    Love being separate from casino.
    Beautiful location to work.
    Nice benefit options.

ConsNot a huge fan of dealing with comps, coupons and having to tell someone they can't stay for the night, even if we have rooms available because the coupon is sold out.
    Listening to people complain and feel that they are so entitled because they lost $1000 last month.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to policies. Don't refund a no-show just because they complain (too bad it was their fault they didn't call or show up), don't give out comps just because the floor was too noisy. Don't make exceptions....

Overall I loved working for Ameristar Casino. Only problem was management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Charles, MO

ProsThey seem to care a lot for the team members. Out of all the other casinos in the area, this one is cleanest and most friendly. I loved all my fellow team members and the guests were pretty great too. It's not a boring job ever.

ConsUpper management was the only problem. They were all stuck up and had their heads up their own a**. They only worried about them selves and had no problem throwing you under the bus to save their own job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so stupid and take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming another team member and getting them fired.

Worked for Ameristar Casinos? Contribute to the Community!