Ameristar Casinos

Ameristar Casinos Reviews in Saint Charles, MO

2.9

Ameristar Casinos Vice Chairman and CEO Gordon R. Kanofsky
Gordon R. Kanofsky

Pros
  • Starting pay was good but only a 3% raise (you have to wait a year for one) (in 7 reviews)

• They seem to care a lot for the team members (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Bullying and harassment from customers directed at employees is very bad at the kansas city location and management allows it to happen regularly (in 6 reviews)

• Although they claim they have an open door policy here it has become clear to employees that expressing concerns will only get you into trouble (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with great teams that really enjoy what they are doing.

Cons

The hours can be challenging if you have a family since they are open 24/7, including all holidays.

I would like to see upper management and HR care more about promoting part time employees into full time positions.

it just ok.

Current Employee - Barback in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Barback in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (less than a year)

Pros

very few good things happen. you really have to fight to earn and keep your position.it could better than it is.be alot

Cons

so many I cant remember them all. I cant really express myself fully there because when I have voiced my opinon I was frowned up.

recreate management all together.

Not a bad place to work, if you don't mind working week-ends, holidays, etc.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly good benefits, including pay 401k health insurance
    subsidized company cafeteria,
    work seven get paid eight,
    diverse workforce, with no discrimination,

Cons

it takes a number of years working before you can get a work schedule that you like.

cook 1

Current Employee - Cook in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Cook in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work for. Great learning place for new chefs. Able to learn a variety of foods hands on.

Cons

Work very late hours. Dont expect weekends off. Moving up in the company is very hard too do, very political when it comes to that.

At first you guys showed us how much you care. Get back to that

Exciting job, lots of interesting people both internally and externally but...I could never support my family alone.

Former Employee - Valet in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Valet in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of fun. Like I said it was an exciting and fast paced environment to work in. Met many people I would never have had the chance to working as a limo driver.

Cons

I worked there almost 7 years and even won a team member of the year award but I could never get into a position that provided enough for me to support my small family of 4.

Take the time to consider your existing human capital so they have a chance to advance to a career instead of a pyramid of mid grade managers

Could have been better or worse (Hotel Employee)

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Networking to move on
    Initial advancement opportunities
    Fun atmosphere and chances to meet great guests
    Supervisors were very aware of the work

Cons

Management had no idea half of what was going on
    Employee exit surveys did nothing to help get the hotel management back under control
    Hotel Director did not even know how to work the computer system

Use the surveys to your advantage. Also, maybe consider reading reviews from Trip Advisor. If guests constantly complain about specific people in management, maybe a closer look should be taken.

Overall I loved working for Ameristar Casino. Only problem was management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They seem to care a lot for the team members. Out of all the other casinos in the area, this one is cleanest and most friendly. I loved all my fellow team members and the guests were pretty great too. It's not a boring job ever.

Cons

Upper management was the only problem. They were all stuck up and had their heads up their own a**. They only worried about them selves and had no problem throwing you under the bus to save their own job.

Don't be so stupid and take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming another team member and getting them fired.

A stepping stone

Current Employee - Pit Boss in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Pit Boss in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos

Pros

Good pay for no experience necessary, in my department anyway. Fun atmosphere when you first begin your job. Lively atmosphere.

Cons

There is not much room for moving up. Management often plays favorites at this location when it comes to promotions.

Offer more pay to employees. We are the lowest paying casino in the area in table games. Always have been for the past 16 years from what I hear.

Casino Dealing creates business experience that you can't get from any where else. The customer contact is great.

Current Employee - Tables Games Dealer in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Tables Games Dealer in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos

Pros

At Ameristar you get a chance to meet alot of people. If you're in school its a very good place to start networking. Its also just an all around fun job. You're litterally playing games 8 - 10 hours a day and you get to see alot of beautiful and friendly people. Its almost like getting paid to play at work.

Cons

The hours were not pleasing, but it is the Entertainment Industry so the hours are made when they need you. Personal weekends are basically no more, the casino recieves its highest activity during weekends so of course they will need every dealer.

I would just say to continue to give the dealers positive and negative feedback. Cut back on the Micro-management, even though its a casino industry and security must be set at High Alert. Try to allow dealers to branch out and develop their own way of dealing while staying within the guidelines OF COURSE.