Ameritas Life Insurance Corp

JoAnn M. Martin

Internship Experience

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work
    Great people
    Opportunity to work on many different projects

Cons

Lots of approvals required before one's project goes live

A lot about corporate nonsense. Way behind the times. If you disagree, you're dumb. I want this company to BE BETTER.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Stable. Rarely fires or lays off employees. You can easily stay here and become a "lifer". You’ll have a job in 100 years when this company is still around rowing the large Viking ship on backs of valued Employees.
    - Pay and benefits are average. 401k is great.
    - Free stuff, Desk Drops, Sometimes free lunches
    - On-site café.
    - On-site workout facility, showers, and subsidizes gym memberships
    - A lot of the people that work there are good people.

Cons

- Slow, Boring
    - Very Risk Adverse
    - Hell Bent on Bureaucracy and Process
    - Technology is obscure (Novell, Mainframe, Lotus Notes, etc.)
    - Limited Upward Movement (even for top performers)
    - Extremely management heavy

- Quit hiring more managers and executives - this will not fix anything.
    - Stop with the branding and re-branding. Stay simple.
    - Don't promote the same people that lead you into a bad position in the first place.
    - Do more to lessen the tension between your Lincoln and Cincinnati locations.
    - Be skeptical about people who always tell you 'Yes' and who always agree with you. Don't listen to the same people any more.
    - Take risks. Don't do the same things. I've seen this company run people out that wanted to make any change.
    - It is NOT LAW to go overboard with compliance (regardless of what MAR people preach). Look into it closely - you're being actively deceived. Not everything in the world needs MAR approval. You've been lied to.
    - Mainframe, COBOL, and Java (legacy systems) are making you slow to react to a rapidly progressing world.
    - You're deeply invested in some bad decisions, and it'll hurt like hell to fix them.
    - Quit putting IT and Business against each other. Decentralize IT and make them part of the business. No more "us vs them."
    - Buy software that the rest of the world uses. Quit buying systems that no one has ever heard of.
    - Subscribe to the entrepreneurial mindset. Subscribe to the minimalist mindset.
    - Get rid of the red tape (UNIFI FLOW). Don't make more red tape while trying to eliminate red tape. Be mindful of the goal. Less paperwork + Less process = More Progress.
    - I didn’t hate my time there near as much as this rant would suggest. I really, honestly want this company to BE BETTER.

Outdated and Out of Touch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The retirement plan is good, the benefits are ok, there are numerous geographical locations nationwide to work from, but at this point I'm just adding filler here to meet the minimum word requirement.

Cons

This company is like the dinosaurs, slow, lumbering around, and they can't adapt to the changing times. Extinction is imminent. Anyone giving this company 4-5 stars is either delusional or upper management doing damage control.

If you're under 40 years old, do not apply here. The technology across the board is out of date. They're stuck in the early 1990's. I'm surprised they don't have dial up modems for everyone. It's a museum for antiquated technology. Have you ever wanted to see Lotus Notes in action? Then apply and come see why no respectable company uses Lotus Notes.

The culture is suffocating. Some employees have worked here for decades and it shows. There are no new ideas, any adaptation to the changing times is struck down because "that's not the way we've done it in the past, and we're not going to start now." Any forward progress is smothered in red tape just to make sure that the old guard stays in charge and "relevant." Young talent should just go elsewhere, because anyone that's been there 10+ years will hold you down on the corporate ladder. There is ZERO career growth here, in fact, your career will sputter and die quickly. So millenials reading this, if you miss being lectured by your parents and held back because of your age, by all means try to work here.

Here are some words that are associated with the culture, technology, and overall view of Ameritas: Old Fashioned. Out of date. Obsolete. Stifling. Top heavy. Stodgy. Past its prime.

And here's a good example of what Ameritas is like. Picture Flo from Progressive, the Gecko from Geico, the friendly John Krasinski voiceover from eSurance, Mayhem from Allstate, Snoopy from MetLife, the duck from AFLAC. They all have approachable, everyday personas, and friendly personalities, using common language to explain their services and how they can help you, whether it's through online technology or new efficient streamline changes they've made to their companies.

Ameritas' mascot would be an old white man, smoking a cigar in an expensive three piece suit, carrying a briefcase, who forces you to sit in his wood enclosed, expensive office, while he drones on about all the boring parts of insurance until you sign a policy just to get out of there. Their mascot is really a Bison, which is also applicable, since the Bison are hunted to near extinction and only really exist in small numbers in zoos and protected lands, so people can merely observe what was once a strong, great animal.

Don't rely so heavily on the old timers that have been there forever. They're resisting change that can help propel the company further. You don't have to move at a snail's pace, the insurance companies named above are moving fast to help the customer, employees, and the bottom line. It's ok to move young talent ahead of them based on their ideas and work ethic. Modern companies realize to keep top tier talent based on cutting edge ideas rather than longevity.

I expect all of this review to fall on deaf ears at that company. It's funny how many times you can point out a problem there, and everyone in charge will tell you, "Well, that's how we've always done it, so what can you do?" It's that kind of lack of motivation and apathy that will kill you off. And it's not one particular area or division, it's EVERY area and division, from the very top to the bottom.

What a joke

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycheck. Pays weekly when ur kelly. That is really the only positive.

Cons

The vice president's wife who works at the office wrote the positive review where NO ADVICE WAS NEEDED. Management doesn't care. Benefits are just OK. If you are bilingual, it's worth it to not admit you are because you will be placed with probably the worst manager you will ever have in ur whole life. The little extra money isn't worth it. By the way, since when is bilingual only worth less than a dollar an hour??? Anywhere else in town pays good money for it.

Lots of gossip. Good people are leaving or have left.

Someone said here dont act like CEOs. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Positive

I have been working at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous vacation package. Retirement contribution is above average (8%). Company is involved in the community. Will contribute to education.

Cons

Pay raises minimal. Quite behind the times from a technology standpoint. Want to help their employees grow but don't know how to go about it at times.

Develop career paths.

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nothing it really has nothing other than pot lucks

Cons

Managers are really biased towards employees, they expect waaaay to much for what they pay incredibly understaffed

stop trying to act like CEOS

A company that is structured to allow a driven individual to build a successful career.

Current Employee - National Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - National Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is welcoming and promotes ownership. Competitive benefits, and there is pride in our core values. Structure includes an opportunity for front line team members to research and propose solutions. There is a place for both associates who want to have stability within one department, and those that want to face new challenges. Personally, I have had 3 separate careers within the same company.

Cons

Being an insurance company, we sometimes move slower than other industries. This is partially to protect our financial stability, and partially because ever changing regulations for our industry consume our resources. For anyone with a sense of entitlement, this would not be a good fit. This is a performance based organization, if you are expecting that tenure alone will help you advance to your next step in your career goals, this is not the company for you.

Promote more of the success stories. So many of our executives started on the front lines, and strategically worked their career path to a place of leadership they have today.

Treatment of Field Force

I have been working at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive commissions. Employees are pleasant. Very good advanced underwriting team.

Cons

Company loves to use agents as scapegoats, will not back them and has an appalling view that agents are not to be trusted. Underwriting is horrid, policy issue and admin suck.
    The company has no identity, 4-5 name/brand changes in the last 7 years, no real target markets.
    The treatment of several VP's was appalling.

Fire your field development and agency development heads. They are deceitful, less than honest and vindictive with the field force.

HR is clearly posting on this page.

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

As a rule, the people are friendly. (Some are not to be trusted, but that is true anywhere.) Lots of food around. You can skate by if you don't want to work (this is also a con.)

Cons

Please look at these reviews collectively. I am have been at Ameritas for almost 10 years. I have not read a post by someone who no longer works at Ameritas that I disagree with. I do disagree with some of the fluffy utopian posts from current employees though. I have to think they were posted by someone in HR who is trying to do damage control. HR is the biggest problem at Ameritas (they can not be trusted).

The management comes in a close second. I have caught my manager in a handful of outright lies, It makes me wonder how many I haven't caught. I watch employees leave, then management blames the problems they have caused on the employees who left. As another poster noted, sometimes the competent employees keep a department afloat, yet they are eventually fired. There are a few outliers in management who are good people, however more of the quality non-management people have been leaving since January 2014. HR assumes employees do not know employment law, so sometimes they make things up to fit the situation. I can specifically think of three situations where HR outright lied to an employee/ or employees about employment law. The rules are applied just as promotions are, based on politics.

On a positive note, I have seen a few changes in 2014 that might turn this leaking ship around. Two of the changes are quality executive hires from outside of the organization. I won't hold my breath though. Many people have worked here for 15+ years. Since it is a highly political organization that doesn't fire incompetent people, I have my doubts if any of the incompetent people will leave before retirement. It is the Peter Principle at work.

Cons: No advancement for competent staff, below market pay, minimal employee development, pigeonholed staff, highly political company, extremely outdated IT systems, management denial of weaknesses/overinflated view of self, few learning opportunities, top heavy with too many highly paid non-contributors, regular cuts of the little benefits. To me these add up to say this company isn't doing as well as they would like us to believe.

TLDR: This company has no accountability for excellence. You will see this theme in other posts.

There are significant problems with this company, and most of management is in denial or apathetic. The turning point for Ameritas was around 2009. Prior to that time, this was a good company I could have recommended to friends. However, I currently can not recommend this company.

"Awesome Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp full-time

Pros

Ameritas cares about the well being of their employees and their families.
    This company strives for "Excellence" in "Customer Service" and continues to do so using all avenues.
    As a "Team" this has happened through the "Excellent" employees they have and I work with.
    The "RVP" is down to earth and socializes with all in the office, he contributes and partakes in all of the office activities and does so with a "Great Personality." The new manager is "Wonderful" and "Very Knowledgable." Each and everyone of the "Team Leaders" are "Fantastic" and provide support.

To see a couple of the negative reviews is unfortunate, this usually happens when a individual is no longer with a company and carries bitterness.

Cons

N/A There are no CONS come join our team!

Management is Great!