Ames True Temper

Not yet rated.

Michael A. Sarrica

Not Bad

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Leesport, PA

ProsDecent pay. Good people to work with. Plenty of work with opportunity for overtime. Never was forced to work overtime.

ConsWent out of business. The field for bankruptcy and closed their doors. One day we came to work and had a big meeting to tell us we were all losing out jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't go out of business. It's easier to make money when you are in business

Good company but strategy lacking.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsCoworkers are nice in my department (other departments are cutthroat and mean, see; Finance). Good benefits. Fair pay. You can now wear jeans every which is awesome. They are putting money into the building and equipment which should have been done 20 years ago. Promotions can be had as people above you leave.

ConsI have seen 4 CEO changes, 3 CFO changes, and countless upper management changes. As new leadership arrives, it gets everyone excited but that changes. This latest regime change seems different. They are spending money like its no one's business. These are good changes but in the 3 months we have yet to see anything come of it. The next 12-18 months will show if these changes were well worth it or if this company is doomed.

Other points: People are overworked. This is because a few years ago they had major layoffs. They are now filling those positions so this may change.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. innovate more. Make earning bonus easier and less dependent on company performance.

Quality Company with Potential

Vice President (Former Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsGreat brand names with a significant amount of manufacturing and all distribution in the U.S. Experienced operational people in just about all functions that are dedicated and effective.
    Doing well in a difficult industry.

ConsExecutive management turnover and limited approach to strategy development and innovation hinder the company from reaching its full potential. More acquisitions and consolidations in the industry by Ames could help it further if it brings in talented management. Lack of investment in engineering of all types and IT systems upgrades could be a factor for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeal with the cons mentioned above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to get you career started

ProsGood benefits, fair wages, made in USA (at least 80%)

ConsOverworked, understaffed, many hours

Advice to Senior Managementupper management has a higher turn over rate than the plant workers.

Employees are scared every day of losing their jobs/being laid off resulting in extreme low office morale.

Sales/Marketing (Former Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsCamp Hill is a great location.

ConsNo job security, therefore employees have nothing to fight for.

BULLY is their mission

Major Accounts Executive (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosunion benefits, including health care, 401K, including company match, and they will hire almost anyone….which should be a red flag.

ConsThe moral, smart and visionary executives left with or shortly after BellSouth became AT&T. Current employee moral is very low, except for the recent college grads who work for wireless and have very little job experience and even lower expectations of a healthy work place.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to "new school" methods (ie Google, Apple), consult past BellSouth Executives, teach management skills that do not rely on intimidation, threats, or disrespect. Encourage and even direct employees in future career moves/promotions.

AWESOME WORK EXPERIENCE -

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThis was a progressive company that believes in paying employees what they are worth, having open communication, promoting from within - Everything positive

ConsFamily owned with family as your co-workers can sometimes be a little difficult

Company that needs to learn how to treat employees fairly and with respect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsSome of the rank and file employees were very hard-working individuals. The main positive about my position at Ames was that I had my own office.

ConsManagement unable to recognize day-to-day issues within the organization; management unable to retain top talent; no flex-time; no work/life balance; finance department dysfunctional; extreme stress load.

Advice to Senior ManagementLIsten to your employees - they are the ones on the front lines and have many of the best and most innovative ideas.

Great products that no one will ever know about!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Camp Hill, PA

ProsQuality designed, durable tools for multiple gardening, construction and/or home uses. All thoroughly tested.

ConsNo actual marketing ever took place. Many strong people with strong ideas worked hard to get their point across, but each time worked against each other resulting in only small blips of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your peers, ask their advice, stop the power-plays.
    HR: Please review your management team.

Al in all AT&T was a very nice place to work

Customer Service (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIt was nice because of flexible scheduling, benefits were great, very easy going atmosphere to work in. Vacation and sick time where always generous.

Consmanagement was usually the issue. The supervisors were nice but most of the managers did not deserve their positions, promotions where given on who you knew not your skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention the the employees that deserve management positions, if you are currently one of the ones that obtained your position knowing others were better then start learning to make yourself better

Worked for Ames True Temper? Contribute to the Community!