Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • Work/Life balance competitive salaries and challenging work(in 66 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan(in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees(in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels(in 29 reviews)

Good company

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat benefits, smart colleagues, beautiful campus, deep mission

ConsLimited career growth opportnities available

Turning into everyone else. No job is secure. Nothing unique about this company anymore.

Bio-pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood team, great DM's and RM's

ConsNo job security. Upper management focused. Perks reduced to feed upper management

Great company

Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsAmgen has fantastic people, uses innovative technologies, is constantly trying to improve, and has a strong ethical base from which it helps as many patients as possible. I have nothing bad to say about the company.

ConsChallenging environment - very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your staff that helped get yo9u where you are today - do not become obsessed with the bottom line

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good research with some politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosscience is good and people are generally good

Consdecision making is not transparent

Run the other direction

Prossouthern california is a great place to live! Summer and winter shutdowns are great 10 extra days of vacation a year

Consboys club, lack of career progression, no meritocracy

They pay you not to question

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsBenefits and compensation are excellent. Great work/life balance. Flexible schedule. The campus is beautiful. I've met some really intelligent and humble people here.

ConsIf you are motivated and want to make a difference go somewhere else. This is where people go to be told what to do. If you want to coast on neutral this is the place. Also if you are in your 20's you will be lonely here. Thousand Oaks is no biotech hub.

Worst Experience of Career

BSR (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products, benefits, salary, bonus

ConsDeceptive Company. All the way to the very end for me. Lied to us about expansion, future ect....Bad culture. From the very beginning I was led to believe this place had a great culture. Wrong! Everyone man from himself at this organization. Co-workers throw each other under the bus and these behaviors are encouraged. At one time perhaps a great culture has now been destroyed. Never have I seen so many incompetent leaders in my life all the way down to District Sales Managers. Worst I've seen. To this day, not sure how this woman was promoted. Absolutely, the laziest manager I have ever worked for. No benefit of the doubt ever. What goes around comes around. No accountability here. You could not pay me enough to work at this co again. Stay away unless you are absolutely desperate. There are much better organizations out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the lip service. Try a little transparency. Stop encouraging bad behavior.

Was a great company now just like run of the mill corporation

Specialist - Quality Control (Current Employee) West Green, GA

ProsDepending on your role, you may get some great experience with latest technologies in the industry. If you are one of the few with good relationships with the managers, you will be handsomely rewarded.

ConsPromotions depend on who you know, no promotion from within (except for very few who have good relationships with the managers), real possibility of getting pigeon-holed into very specific jobs that leaves you unprepared to jump to outside industry.

Good & Bad

Project Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood Benefits, Salary comparable to market value, good facility

Consoutsourcing, job insecurity, career stagnation, politics, upper management out of touch with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus on employees careers and the job insecurity situation the FTEs face

backstabbers

Prosgood opportunities for advancement. excellent learning experience.

Conscompany has changed for the worse over the past several years

Advice to Senior Managementstop the micromanaging

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!