Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • With many tight deadlines, work life balance is available but not easily obtainable (in 67 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees (in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company with great pay and benefits.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsProfessionalism mixed with fun.
    Develops employess
    Extremely competitive environment

ConsWork life balance, leadership, direction of company is shaky right now for sustainable employment.

Excellent place to work and grow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat people and work environment. I have enjoyed my work very much here.

ConsThousand Oaks is a slow city that sleeps by 9pm. If you want a late night dinner, you will have very few options.

Graduate Summer Intern

Graduate Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsIncredibly great internship! Well charted out project,truly knowledgeable colleagues and a great work environment.
    - Collaborative work culture
    - Wonderful work/life balance
    - Challenging work
    - Lots to learn

ConsNo specific cons,really. The Thousand Oaks location is huge and that maybe a con for some,if working at a large office campus is not your preference. But overall,great work environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the finest management folks I have ever met. Very open,very supporting,very encouraging! I hope to be as humble and competent as them in my career.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience working with some amazing folks!

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat culture - no micro-management! Just accountable for your deliverables!! The PMO was amazing!! learnt a lot of professional PM related methodologies!

ConsYou are just another Contractor! The perm employees get all the benefits!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about mopre perm ops???

Striving to keep sight of patients and science while accelerating growth in a changing health care world.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsPeople: Smart, inquiring, caring, committed. You learn something new every day, some of it better than sci-fi.
    Benefits. This company takes care of its own. Support staff like HR, Comp, Payroll give an unbelievable level of individual support for a company this size.
    Cost discipline.

ConsSense of instability: "What's next?" Some staff concerned that the company is trying to move TOO fast...

Advice to Senior ManagementPatients.

Very dynamic place to work, challenging projects, very bright staff members.

Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsOutstanding benefits, very good compensation, plenty of time off, extremely generous 401k package, very generous bonus plan. Good emphasis on personal scientific growth. Get a week off at Christmas as well as a week off during 4th of July in addition to 15 vacation days. Great campus and great weather year round.

ConsNot many levels within group, so it's difficult to get promoted. Can spend many years at the same level with no promotion reward. Politics within R&D at the very top that trickle down to group. Decisions are made at the top that don't always make much sense with respect to the way each group does things, but must live with decision and must implement it. Like any company, big emphasis on the dollar value which can put constraints on the way one does research.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve wholeheartedly in what R&D is trying to accomplish

Great company with great culture and work-life balance

Biostatistical Programming (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat benefit, work-life balance, management, and a lot of payed vocations. The campus is beautiful!

ConsThe headquarter sits in Thousand Oaks, which is not as exciting.

Best place I have ever worked!

Senior QA Associate (Former Employee)

ProsCompany mission and values; talented staff; great processes & systems, yet always in a state of continuous improvement.

ConsTakes quite a long time to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoals that made since; IDP; great internal training department.

Excellent internship program

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsSummer internship was an excellent opportunity to explore the pharmaceutical industry. We were each assigned summer projects which we presented upon the end of our 3 months. This paid internship also includes summer housing, car rental, gym membership, and fun extracurricular events (surfing, baseball games, kayaking, etc.). Many opportunities to network with executive level employees . Excellent Executive (C-Level) Speaker Series.

ConsNone. After completing the summer internship program, many interns were presented with full-time offers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent place to work

Senior Instrumentation Tech (Former Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsExcellent salary, awesome benefits, great culture of science based decision makers throughout the company, work in great teams of diverse backgrounds. Made life long friends there

ConsCan be very slow to make key decisions, started to really down size or "reaching Amgen's full potential" as they call it, 3 lay- off's in 5 years at the Colorado site operations,

Advice to Senior ManagementFar too many excellent workers losing there jobs to overseas operations to save money.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!