Amgen

www.amgen.com
Employer Engaged

Changing tides

I have been working at Amgen

Pros

Nice colleagues that are industry leaders.

Cons

Lots of RIF and changes company-wide.

Focus less on short term stock price.

Admin Cord

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay and awesome work environment

Cons

interview process, and lay offs

Good company, good benefits. Many challenging opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen

Pros

Good company, good benefits. Many challenging opportunities

Cons

Intense, driven people. Competitive.

Better than most places, not as good as it used to be

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, my area was both highly professional yet fun
    Everyone up to the director level were highly approachable
    A lot of work to do
    Benefits are great for direct hires
    Pay is ok for temps, better than other temp work

Cons

Layoffs
    Work increasingly shifted to contractors and temps (contingent workers)
    Moving toward conventional business culture at the cost of high tech startup-like environment
    Career opportunities stunted due to reductions in positions but good if you are already a mid- to high-level employee
    Odds of temp-to-hire are low for the same reason as above

My ratings are adjusted upward to reflect today's working environment, as opposed to better times before the economic crash.
    No advice.
    Front line and mid-level management were excellent in my area.
    Negatives are based on decisions from executives and upper management.

Unwelcoming Company

Former Contractor - Contingent Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Contractor - Contingent Worker in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The campus is beautiful, but there are no butterflies, bees, etc, which denotes a very unhealthy landscape.

Cons

No one smiles, not even in passing when walking around campus.

There are too many contingent workers, which is a huge loss in tribal knowledge and causes stress because there is no security in the position you've accepted. In a group of 30 people, 5 were employees.

Contingent workers are not made to feel a part of the team. They are not assigned work space nor provided resources to get their work done such as pens, notepads, or proper lighting in their work area. I was never comfortable leaving paperwork or even a pen at the desk I was sitting at because I could come in the next day and find someone else has claimed my spot and my pen. Not a great way to make a contractor feel part of the team.

There are cafes all over campus, but the food is barely edible. The price of some items costs more than if you buy it off campus, but the hike to the parking lot takes too long to run to a drive-thru.

Amgen plans to reduce the cost of operations by 50% over the next (5?) years. This means more unsettled employees, more contingent workers, and fewer resources.

I manged to make it to the end of my contract with out walking off the job, so I'm not leaving this review as a disgruntled employee, just someone who was extremely unhappy and highly stressed over the security of my position the whole time I was there. This was not my first assignment at Amgen, but it will be my last.

Management needs to think about the employees and not just the stock holders. Word is getting out that this is not a good place to work.

This is the company to work for if you want to work in a demoralizing and a toxic work environment.

Current Employee - Safety in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Safety in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, gym and campus

Cons

Horrible management, Low morale, Lack of career development, Compensation is not competitive, Lack of appreciation of staff, promotes bullying behavior, management ignores issues brought to their attention, inexperienced people managers, management uses bullying tactics which is promoted and not addressed by senior management.

Stop pretending everything is okay especially when issues are brought to your attention, appreciate your staff, increase pay, stop promoting bullying by management. Provide management training to current management.

Overall, not worth it

Current Employee - Scientist
    Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Two week long shutdowns (one mid year and another between Christmas and The new year).
    Good healthcare benefits.
    Onsite gym.
    Reasonable allowance of vacation and personal time.

Cons

Work/life balance is a joke. It's really all about work. And it keeps getting worse.

Too many meetings.

Blatant favoritism.

Policies that aren't equally enforced between departments and even within groups.

You WILL be overworked. With the decrease in headcount and the uptick in new projects, most staff are being pushed to the breaking point.

Morale is low.

Management is becoming more and more blind to the reality of the situation.

If you have anything other than a PhD then your career growth prospects are poor.

Constant reorganization and an environment of fear is prevalent.

There is a developing trend towards sacrificing quality to get things done. Audits are going to get ugly in the future.

All of the reorganization has cost the organization vital people and all of the tribal knowledge and experience that were critical to the smooth execution of projects. Slow down. Think about what you're doing. Stop playing favorites and start playing fair. You're going to continue to lose great people with a wealth of experience and understanding of "the Amgen way". And, remember, you have some great contributors with BS degrees. Start to consider them for promotions instead of only looking for PhDs from outside the company. You're only causing dissent among some really hard working employees. Stop bleeding everyone dry. You're going to sacrifice quality and it's going to come back and bite you hard during audits.

Used to be a great company to work for...

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good amount of time off. Work/life balancing is important. Compensation is fair. Company reputation is great.

Cons

Current CEO (Bob Bradway) thinks outsourcing as much as possible (from R&D to IT to manufacturing) to BRIC countries will make the shareholders happy, and inflate his own bank account...at the expense of patients and employees.

Remember who made this company - the employees - and start treating us with respect again.

Thought this was going to be the company I would retire with

Current Employee - Manager in Newbury Park, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Since closing offices and laying off 1,500 people in Oct. the morale is very bad and another layoff coming in March so it is not improving. No one knows who will get laid off until the day of the layoffs. Very stressful working environment. used to have the best benefits but now many jobs are going contract or laid people off and replacing with new lower salaries for new employees and less benefits.

After laying off so many people, there shouldn't be a need to lower benefits and compensation. Need something to keep employees happy.

Exceptional employees however company culture has changed...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly-talented employees; strong pipeline of products; competitive salary; good benefits; many career opportunities if you are motivated and like to challenge yourself.

Cons

Too much personnel turnover due to constant layoffs; some areas of management appear withered; slow decision making process; long hours and somewhat declining moral.

See Cons