Amgen

Amgen Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • With many tight deadlines, work life balance is available but not easily obtainable (in 67 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees (in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to work

Senior Instrumentation Tech (Former Employee) Longmont, CO

ProsExcellent salary, awesome benefits, great culture of science based decision makers throughout the company, work in great teams of diverse backgrounds. Made life long friends there

ConsCan be very slow to make key decisions, started to really down size or "reaching Amgen's full potential" as they call it, 3 lay- off's in 5 years at the Colorado site operations,

Advice to Senior ManagementFar too many excellent workers losing there jobs to overseas operations to save money.

Very good people and company structure, most IT related work has been outsourced.

IT Support (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsMany software and hardware positions to apply for internally if you have a Bachelors degree. IT jobs through contracting agencies can be very good employment (if your department does not get outsourced).

ConsAmgen is still undergoing layoffs, so do not expect long term employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire quality people and provide some permanent benefits for your IT functions instead of going for the lowest bidding contracting agency.

Great company!

ProsScience based respectful culture. Great benefit and overall job satisfaction.

ConsToo much politics. With a lot of industry changes driving change lot of uncertainty exists.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Associate Business Analyst

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork/life balance, compensation and benfit

ConsLimited career growth and opportunity

Great compensation and benefits. Although I predict the grass may not be as green in the future.

ProsOutstanding area in which to live. The perks - nice gym and day care.

ConsThe Yes man rules here. Feedback is welcomed just as long as it is aligned with what the boss wants to hear. Performance not equitable across organization. Too many distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the Amgen values. Management has lost touch with the culture and values that produced greatness. Practice what you preach!

Good place for doing science

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsCorporate value #1 is "Be Science-Based" and for the most part it is not just lip-service. Very good compensation, health, and 401k plans. Lots of vacation with 2 weeks official shut-down in addition to personal vacation allotment. Upper management team seems really excellent since new CEO.

ConsBig organization where sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Corporate emphasis on improving decision-making still has a way to go. Too many meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to keep "Be Science-Based" at the forefront. Otherwise, keep pushing the decision-making improvements.

A great place to work

Medical Writer (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

Prosworkload, compensation and benefits, are good. allows remote work

ConsNone that I can think of.

A very good place to work, as long as your site is favored by upper management.

Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsVery good salaries and benefits. Great people.

ConsCompany does not want to have manufacturing in the United States.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider decisions to continue to offshore more and more of your production.

Run the other direction

Prossouthern california is a great place to live! Summer and winter shutdowns are great 10 extra days of vacation a year

Consboys club, lack of career progression, no meritocracy

They pay you not to question

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsBenefits and compensation are excellent. Great work/life balance. Flexible schedule. The campus is beautiful. I've met some really intelligent and humble people here.

ConsIf you are motivated and want to make a difference go somewhere else. This is where people go to be told what to do. If you want to coast on neutral this is the place. Also if you are in your 20's you will be lonely here. Thousand Oaks is no biotech hub.

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!