Amgen

Amgen Reviews in Thousand Oaks, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway

Robert A. Bradway

Pros
  • Work/Life balance competitive salaries and challenging work(in 66 reviews)

• It has great benefits in their retirement plan and then have a great matching 401K plan(in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and no career development towards their employees(in 17 reviews)

• Culture does not promote decision-making at lower management levels(in 29 reviews)

248 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Graduate Summer Intern

Graduate Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsIncredibly great internship! Well charted out project,truly knowledgeable colleagues and a great work environment.
    - Collaborative work culture
    - Wonderful work/life balance
    - Challenging work
    - Lots to learn

ConsNo specific cons,really. The Thousand Oaks location is huge and that maybe a con for some,if working at a large office campus is not your preference. But overall,great work environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the finest management folks I have ever met. Very open,very supporting,very encouraging! I hope to be as humble and competent as them in my career.

Great experience working with some amazing folks!

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat culture - no micro-management! Just accountable for your deliverables!! The PMO was amazing!! learnt a lot of professional PM related methodologies!

ConsYou are just another Contractor! The perm employees get all the benefits!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about mopre perm ops???

Very dynamic place to work, challenging projects, very bright staff members.

Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsOutstanding benefits, very good compensation, plenty of time off, extremely generous 401k package, very generous bonus plan. Good emphasis on personal scientific growth. Get a week off at Christmas as well as a week off during 4th of July in addition to 15 vacation days. Great campus and great weather year round.

ConsNot many levels within group, so it's difficult to get promoted. Can spend many years at the same level with no promotion reward. Politics within R&D at the very top that trickle down to group. Decisions are made at the top that don't always make much sense with respect to the way each group does things, but must live with decision and must implement it. Like any company, big emphasis on the dollar value which can put constraints on the way one does research.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve wholeheartedly in what R&D is trying to accomplish

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with great culture and work-life balance

Biostatistical Programming (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat benefit, work-life balance, management, and a lot of payed vocations. The campus is beautiful!

ConsThe headquarter sits in Thousand Oaks, which is not as exciting.

Excellent internship program

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsSummer internship was an excellent opportunity to explore the pharmaceutical industry. We were each assigned summer projects which we presented upon the end of our 3 months. This paid internship also includes summer housing, car rental, gym membership, and fun extracurricular events (surfing, baseball games, kayaking, etc.). Many opportunities to network with executive level employees . Excellent Executive (C-Level) Speaker Series.

ConsNone. After completing the summer internship program, many interns were presented with full-time offers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good place for doing science

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsCorporate value #1 is "Be Science-Based" and for the most part it is not just lip-service. Very good compensation, health, and 401k plans. Lots of vacation with 2 weeks official shut-down in addition to personal vacation allotment. Upper management team seems really excellent since new CEO.

ConsBig organization where sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Corporate emphasis on improving decision-making still has a way to go. Too many meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to keep "Be Science-Based" at the forefront. Otherwise, keep pushing the decision-making improvements.

Great company that cares for Employees

Manager (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGreat company that fosters innovation for the benefit of patients, deep and promising pipeline, career advancement for employees, and excellent benefits!

ConsDecision making is delayed due to the Risk averse culture.

My employment experience with Amgen was very rewarding and challenging

Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsA great amount of opportunity if you choose that path

ConsMany jobs are now outsourced

Advice to Senior ManagementMore use of local employment seekers

Great company

Research Associate (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsGood Pay
    Good Experience
    Smart colleagues who have been helpful
    Good advancement oppurtunities

ConsHuge Company, things can move slow at times

Very good experience

Research Associate (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsWork-life balance, good office, good team, good labs, good management, friendly coworkers, good benefits

ConsMany temps, nothing to say, no more to say, hope to work here with long term base

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease headcounts

Worked for Amgen? Contribute to the Community!