Amica Mutual Reviews

• Lincoln, RI
2.8
Amica Mutual President, CEO and Director Robert A. DiMuccio
Robert A. DiMuccio

Old-fashioned company, for better and worse

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Very friendly and inclusive staff, strong sense of community, strong benefits, promote from within

Cons

Very old-fashioned in terms of dress code, vacation/sick time, and salary and career advancement, pay scales are quite low, especially for IT

Want a headache. Apply here!

Former Employee - Amica Life Producer in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Amica Life Producer in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability. Looks good on a resume. Great cookouts (if you were able to go and enjoy for more then 15 minutes)

Cons

Managers are liars, fakes, cheats. No room for growth unless you dedicate your life to them. Too much workplace chatter. Managers do not own up to their mistakes nor are they ever reprimanded for them. CEO has NO CLUE about that department. No clue.

Get your heads out of your own butts and MANAGE. There is no need for lies. No need for it at all. Amica Life Department COULD OF BEEN a great place. But because of all the chatter, and noise...NO ONE enjoys working there. They might say it to your face, for the fear of losing their job or becoming a target (which happens quite often when you have a SPINE) but out in the real world, people talk. A lot. That department is corrupt and so are its key employees. Office culture is a mess. A MESS! There are employees there, that have been there for 10+ years, which is wonderful aside from the fact that if they trust you, they will then begin to talk trash about the department, it managers, and everything else that goes along with it. They are afraid. Grown women and men, too nervous to discuss anything because they will then have a target on them. Management will lie and tell you everything is great. Look deeper. I know its sales, and the turnover is always crazy no matter where you go, but Amica is a good place to retire from, and form bonds....its such a shame the Life Department is how it is, and everyone turns a blind eye. Wake up people, wake up soon. Sooner or later they will find themselves deep into lawsuits (which they already have and hide), or on the news for investigation.

3. Associate Adjuster

Current Employee - Associate Adjuster in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Associate Adjuster in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family-Oriented, good benefits, good work environment

Cons

Long hours, stressful at times

Upper Management Has No Clue

Former Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing at all. it was a waste of time working here. if you want to make money go to another insurance company that has incentives to sell

Cons

1. 2 so called sales centers are run by a former sales rep who has no concept of sales.
    2. if you are a grown up you will be managed by kids who are just out of college and also have no clue
    3. no matter how much you give as an employee they always wanted more. no sales incentives like other companies
    4. sales department has been open for well over 5 years and they still have no direction in the path they are going. the department head sits in the office for hours all day analyzing data and still cannot figure out how to motivate employees
    5. Account Managers aka "Kids" who have never sold anything in their short lives try to coach you once a month and to better yourself in sales....gets annoying when they have no clue what they are talking about.
    6. The sales center had an event one year to see who can get the most life referrals on a given day. the department head wanted to get the winner a trophy....the joke was on the employees since the department head sent an email out to ask his employees for donations for the trophy....i looked online and trophys cost about 10.00 with shipping.
    7. they preach they have the best benefits but the pension they have currently is not the same as it used to be, prescription coverage is awful.
    i could go on for days....happy i left

clean out management in the sales center and hire from the outside as a replacement. hire qualified people to create your computer software(they have been developing a new program for about 7 years now and its awful)
    respect your employees because they are the ones doing the hard work

Nothing But Politics and False Promises

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Location, hours, holidays, flexibility, co-workers.

Cons

Salary, lack of promotions, poor management, LOTS of politics.

I am an eighteen year employee. At the start of my career, I was promised advancement and growth. Eighteen years later and not one single promotion, yet other's sneeze and they are promoted. It's all about who is personally liked and not liked - it has nothing to do with your qualifications and what you bring to the table. I am a loyal employee who has been dedicated to Amica. I never make a business decision without first thinking about what's best for the Company. My compensation is completely inadequate, to the point where "the boss" agrees but says there's nothing he can do about it. Yet, someone with half the amount of responsibility or degree of decision making can be several levels higher. The leveling of the jobs is completely incorrect. Amica Management has old school mentality. Have a baby and you are committing career suicide. I always intended on retiring from Amica, however I don't think this is how I want to spend my next 20 years of my career. Unfortunately for Amica, all of my knowledge will also be going out the door as well. Amica is not what it was when I was hired.

7. Excellent Company to Work for

Current Employee - Appraiser in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Appraiser in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people, do you job and handle customers right and you will have no issues

Cons

none so far, great company place to stay for a lifetime thanks amica

thanks for the awesome benefits

Good compensation but no place to grow as a professional

I have been working at Amica Mutual

Pros

Compensation and benefits. Generally good work environment.

Cons

Amica is not the place to work at for a technology professional. Too many limitations of what can be done and dependencies on legacy systems. Most of the people has worked for a long time at the company, so they tend to feel too confortable and don't want to take a risk and push for new solutions and more up-to-date technology implementations. This is a very bad scenario for somebody young wanting to advance in their career.

Lack of a vision of how the company is going to address new technologies (if they do it at all). It feels that upper management wants to do a lot, but without a business case.

Define a clear roadmap from a technology stand and create awareness of it. You can let the IT Dept. run your business and impose what can be done or not.

9. Amica is a very welcoming community of people who want to be working for Amica.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Great people, good benefits, good corporate culture

Cons

Once people start at Amica, they never leave. Your co-workers may be somewhat stagnant.

Great, at first.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Nice people to work with
    Not "THAT" micromanaged
    Great 2nd shift schedule

Cons

Isn't as easy as they say to be promoted
    Doesn't allow you to transfer to another office for 3 years
    Service reps should not be soliciting life, that is up to the life sale reps

Allow us to work from home.
    Stop with the engagement surveys

Overall decent company but depends on where you work

Current Employee - Analyst in Lincoln, RI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Lincoln, RI

I have been working at Amica Mutual

Pros

Excellent hours; work/home life balance excellent (home office; can't speak for branches); top-notch, decent and nice guy CEO who really tries to do what's best for employees.

Cons

Limited opportunities the longer you're there; still old-school mentality in some areas for promotion and advancement. Great place to start out. If you get good reviews but don't get promoted within first 3 years - move along!

If you say you promote from within then you need to have HR do a better job of identifying employee skills and talents. If you knew more about an individual employee's talents and skills (and not just insurance courses taken) then when opportunities open up in the company you could look at who you have employed now that may be best suited for a job. This would help people feel that there is more chance to move around and develop instead of being stuck in the same old corporate job for many years.