Amica Mutual Reviews

Reset
3.6
Amica Mutual President, CEO and Director Robert A. DiMuccio
Robert A. DiMuccio

Pros
  • Great and Caring Co-workers - Great Benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Family-Oriented, good benefits, good work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked in the call center, sitting all day at a computer is hard (in 6 reviews)

• Promotions are based on who you know and not necessarily the work you do (in 3 reviews)

Account Manager

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Training, benefits, compensation, career development growth, mentor, support, tuition reimbursement

Cons

relocation if in account manager position. At the time of employment at 2012 account managers were relocated. Felt like had no say on where next move would be, even if it had a location in my top 5. Relocation preferences could have changed by now.

Advice to Management

Give more of a heads up when person will be relocated and ensure that the person will have some hope that relocation will be one of top 5 choices.

Great company, family atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Amica Mutual (More than 8 years)

Pros

Caring environment, employee focused company

Cons

Management needs to be mobile for promotion, for the most part

Life Sales

Former Employee - Life Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Life Sales Representative in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company with wonderful products. Workers who try VERY hard to meet client expectations and manage all the criticism that management can dish out. Life Sales is a unique department. Most other departments employees are treated well and love their jobs.

Cons

Low pay, too many managers. You work in an open environment where you hear 50 other reps saying the same script you do all day long. Which can make you crazy. Unless you are a top performer you are treated like a number not a human. Don't even think of advancement to another department.

Advice to Management

Don't hire smart people who are looking to grow with Amica. Hire efficient, fast talking robots that can make 100 outbound calls per day. Those are your success stories.

Great company to work for and have on your resume.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate executives care about their employees. I worked in both the corporate office and a local branch office.

Cons

Pay is less than similar positions with other companies, but great benefits including a pension, 401k, medical. Sales employees are expected to reach unreasonable goals, and need to put in excess overtime to reach them. Too many mid -level managers

Advice to Management

Look to promote more from within. Hiring managers straight out of college, is the not best approach.

GREAT AS A FIRST JOB BUT.....

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

Benefits, comprehensive training, health insurance, wellness program

Cons

Slow(or non existent) to promote within. Employee favoritism is prevalent. Coworkers tend to act like they are in high school, very unprofessional. Management is lacking.

Advice to Management

Should consistently oversee what their offices are doing, especially the farthest ones from home office. Reports and numbers are not everything. Give promotion opportunities to Account Managers to those that deserve it and are not just recent college graduates.

7. Great environment

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

Management is very fair. I actually enjoyed going to work everyday.

Cons

Most entry level position require you to work on Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job.

Great company with great culture

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture that focuses on customer service both internally and externally. High level executives are very accessible and interact with other employees of lower levels. Managers seem to truly want you to excel and have your best interest in mind.

Cons

Kind of "old school" in that it is every conservative. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something that some people might find less desirable than a newer, wear-jeans-to-work everyday type company.

Advice to Management

Work in enhancing communication between high-level managers and front line employees

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay for the industry; good benefits; some really fine folks in some places

Cons

Must be mobile to promote; politics are horrible; promotions are based on mobility and popularity; laziness or lack of ethics in management is rewarded. I saw a few people get demoted or fired that were hard working while several people who shirked responsibilities or flat-out lied about things got promoted.

Advice to Management

start over

AWFUL PLACE TO WORK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck...The benefits are decent and I actually learned a little something.

Cons

Ridiculous workload, BLATANT favoritism and management is more than aware of it. You get sick time but if you actually use it, its a problem. I could literally write a book about all that is wrong with this company. They couldn't care less about the well being of their employees. They pay you peanuts, overwork you and basically bleed you dry. I've never worked in such a hostile work environment. Most in the office I workedn in were miserable but for some reason felt they had few options.

Advice to Management

For starters--Stop the blatant favoritism, treat ALL employees with respect, pay a decent salary, TRY to balance the workload.

Needs improvement on internal customer service

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Amica Mutual (More than a year)

Pros

Amica Mutual Insurance is a great company to its customers. The employees are always willing to go above and beyond for their policyholders. It is definitely a great thing to be a part of if you are placed in the right officer.
    Also depending on your officer, there are lots of opportunities for advancement within the company as they are strictly promote from within.

Cons

Amica is not consistent with their employees. I have often witnessed some employees get in trouble for having a certain amount of overdue activities while other employees with the same amount of overdue work are rewarded and given more management opportunities. The supervisors pick and choose which employees they want to help catch up (by stopping giving them assignments when they are overwhelmed with work) and which ones they do not (by giving them more assignments when they are behind).
    Advancement is not about your work but about who you know.
    The work load is completely unreasonable in some offices. They give you too much work and then treat you as though you are unintelligent for not being able to keep up.
    The supervisory staff in my office was arrogant at best. It was clear that they thought they were better than the adjusters in the office and were not afraid to act accordingly. Management was often aware of this and took little to no action. Some employees were clearly unafraid of consequences for their inappropriate actions.

Advice to Management

Although I do not wish to share the office at which I was employed, it is pretty clear which is the 'ugly duckling' of the company. I have heard several employees from other offices refer this particular branch as the one that adjusters 'go to have their career killed.' I cannot fathom why no action has been taken to improve this matter. Treatment of employees should be consistent. There should be no retribution against those employees that speak out about issues with equity and, if there is, it should not be tolerated.
    It is difficult to deal with being under staffed at times. I understand that work loads will increase when this occurs in bigger offices. However, when employees are having to compensate by the lack of employees in the office and high turnover rate, they should not be reprimanded for falling behind - this should be expected.
    Some employees are asked to do extra activities while still receiving the same amount of claims as the rest of the employees. This is unfair to them. The workload is unreasonable as it is so these extra activities do not make the job an easier.
    I hope that Amica can get their act together and start to correct these problems.

If you are promising your customers peace of mind, shouldn't you do so for your employees as well?

RSS Feed </> Embed