Amica Mutual

Updated February 23, 2015
3.7

Amica Mutual President, CEO and Director Robert A. DiMuccio
Robert A. DiMuccio

Pros
  • Good company to retire from, great benefits and pension plan (in 14 reviews)

• Family-Oriented, good benefits, good work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked in the call center, sitting all day at a computer is hard (in 6 reviews)

• Promotions are based on who you know and not necessarily the work you do (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Treat employees well and try to make insurance as interesting as possible

Former Employee - Student Intern I
    Former Employee - Student Intern I

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here because of the people. It feels very much a like a family and the company culture is great. They are a promote from within company which is good and bad.

Cons

Some of the management styles are too conservative. I sometimes felt like it was too good to be true, like they are trying to put on an act for their training employees.

Listen to lower level ideas.

Great Company

Former Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Associate Claims Adjuster

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

The training was extensive and paid (definitely a pro)!

Cons

Not having much of a say in where you'll be relocated to

Old-fashioned company, for better and worse

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Lincoln, RI
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Lincoln, RI

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Very friendly and inclusive staff, strong sense of community, strong benefits, promote from within

Cons

Very old-fashioned in terms of dress code, vacation/sick time, and salary and career advancement, pay scales are quite low, especially for IT

Great Company

I have been working at Amica Mutual

Pros

Amica really cares about its employees and that shows throughout their corporate environment.
    They truly provide great customer service

Cons

The hours are 8-5 which is an hour longer then most job shifts

Could not be better.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Good opportunity for advancement if you're willing to relocate.
    - Considerable amount of job autonomy.
    - Excellent management and supervisory staff.
    - Freedom to set your own schedule.
    - Most work is performed remotely.
    - Always encountering new and challenging situations.
    - Excellent benefits.

Cons

- Base compensation, aside from benefits, is likely on the low end for the industry.
    - The company can be slow with technological progress.

Don't expect a promotion

Former Employee - Associate Account Representative in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Amica Mutual

Pros

Good benefits, nice little perks like gift cards, etc.

Cons

Workers are treated like robots, you are never allowed to talk about the real problems in the company..management does not want to make the problems better..they only want everyone to stay quiet. put up with it, and do their jobs. Total lack of communication from management to the workers who deal with the customers every day. I worked very hard in my 5 years at the company, and never got a promotion. Very dissapointing.

Give promotions and pay raises to workers who earn it. Listen to what the people who deal with the customers have to say...respect them...maybe try to implement changes on things that aren't working, or that cause problems with the workload.

Great company with great opportunities!

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is great and there are really good opportunities for advancement for those who stay mobile throughout their career. Access to upper management is surprisingly easy and encouraged, which leads to engaged employees. Have always felt like my career goals are supported and encouraged at all levels. This is really a place where you're a part of something and not just a number amongst others. Employees can really make a name for themselves with the way management manages the talent pool.

Cons

Some positions can be challenging, but each one has gotten better than the last. The importance of these challenging roles is not unnoticed, and employees are rewarded because of this. Overall, pros really outweigh any cons in my opinion!

Excellent Opportunity

Former Employee - Adjuster
    Former Employee - Adjuster

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time

Pros

Their training program is extensive and thorough. They definitely give you all of the tools needed to start out.
    They are great about hiring individuals with no prior industry experience. Everyone is very helpful and friendly and their benefits are great.

Cons

Slow advancement opportunities due to high retention rate, which speaks to how well they take care of their employees. However, if you are looking to move up in a company, it will likely take 10 years to get out of your first roll.
    Work load of Adjusters is a bit excessive.

Good principles, but slow to change

I have been working at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is founded on good principles and truly does place customer satisfaction above all else. Training is quite extensive and support is offered every step of the way. Claims service is definitely one of the best in the industry and many long-term employees.

Cons

Promotions are slow to come and open positions are only posted for certain departments - many positions are filled without allowing interested parties to apply or know that an opening even existed. Often you are expected to basically DO the job of the next higher position before you will be considered for promotion to that position. Technology advancement is horrendous - many systems date back to the 80s or early 90s and have seen little improvement since. New systems are chronically delayed and roll-out deadlines missed by months to years at times. Workloads and expectations vary widely from office to office - someone who is considered a superstar for the amount of work they handle in one office could be terminated in another for handling the same amount of work.

Have more transparency with open positions and establish more uniform performance expectations across the company. When it comes to technology development, fill those roles with people who actually possess the qualifications to complete them well and in a timely manner - don't hire based on who best fits the mold of a traditional "business professional".

SCS Supervisor

I worked at Amica Mutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and stability. As a whole, the company tries to do the right thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company (certain divisions) is no longer about your ability to do the job, or your overall competency and just boils down to who you know and whether or not your liked by the people who make the decisions. When I first started, I had some of the best managers to guide me, tons of support and I was in euphoria! Few years later, leadership changed - all the individuals I respected moved onto other opportunities and the worst, most inept people I worked with were getting the big promotions. Facts don't matter, just likeability. If you are someone who doesn't want to be really challenged, can brown nose effectively and just want a steady paycheck, this is the right place for you. It's too bad - leadership wasn't always that way!

People do actually discuss the inability to promote the right people - it would do well to know that no one is being fooled.